Introducing Mockbug: The story of my first flashlight build.

knfmkr

Newly Enlightened
This thread was a real page turner. I have some machining skills but geared more towards the sharp and pointy stuff. I have such admiration for custom guys and what they are capable of. Totally another world as far as machining goes and what I'm capable of. The Mockbug is a very aesthetically pleasing, functional work of art. I like the hot blued one, very unique. Well done and looking forward to seeing more.

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
Thank you knfmkr.
I'm really glad you like the read and the design.
Although i'm not really sure i qualify as a custom guy. At least in the sense you're referring to :)
In my perception it's more in the category of fairly capable hobby machinist.
(it's actually kinda funny. I feel pretty much the same way every time i see a "homemade" folder.)

Status Update:
Pill "bases" are done.
And i'm going to repeat myself here. Man is brass a nice material to machine.
I guess that's why everybody runs brass when they're setting up jobs :)
Mockbug-67.JPG

Mockbug-68.JPG

I also test fitted the first complete light with all the right components and standard code for the driver.
Mockbug-69.JPG

Until next time :)

Last edited:

TailoredEDC

Newly Enlightened
Wow this looks very good! Brass is very nice to work with! It is actually the standard of how good a material is to machine with brass as the best machining of them all.
Im still tinkering with my design unfortunately, but Im finding great inspiration in your project. Just need to finish a couple of jobs and It will be my top priority ;)

Keep up the good work and progress!

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
@ TailoredEDC
Thank you. And brass being the standard makes perfect sense.
Must be different in Europe from the US i believe they use 1018 steel as a reference.

I'm happy that you find my story an inspiration. That's just about the best i can hope for :)
If i can help you in any way please don't hesitate to PM me :)

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
I'm happy to announce that were at that point and i figured you should have a head start.
The batch is all but finished and these are going up for sale on Friday at 08:00 CEST. (11 PM Pacific Daylight Time)

I'll post updated pictures at my earliest convenience :)

To all that have supported me in this build with kind words, encouragement and input. THANK YOU!
I highly appreciate it.

Best
ÆR

wosser

Newly Enlightened
I'm so stoked that you are on the home straight with this project. It's been exciting to see it progress week by week.

I'm sorry to say that I can't afford to buy one right now, but I'd love to see some beam photos / videos from those fortunate to be able to obtain one.

Do you have a link to where they are going to be on sale?

This has been an awesome thread to follow and you've set a high bar for us all to aspire to. Congratulations ÆR :)

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Wosser :)
Although i'm one of the relatively speaking few that can actually pronounce "Æ"

Just to keep the thread up to date.
The sales thread is up.

Last edited:

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
Uhhhh…. I forgot to put in the text that the one in the "movie" is extra polished and is an experiment for myself. (I've updated it now.)

And as always... thank you Wosser.

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light is gorgeous! Any chance of a Titanium or Aluminum version? Living in Hawaii, I'm very cautious of purchasing anything made out of steel as when the electro nickel plating wears or gets scratched, it will quickly rust here.

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
Thank you maxspeeds that's very kind.

Any chance of a Titanium or Aluminum version?
Let me put it this way. I need a brake. At this point i'm not even convinced i'll ever do another run.
And if so it is likely to be a different light. The design would likely be similar but still.

While i do appreciate your concern in regards to the Steel Nickel combination i must admit i don't share it. I live about a couple of kilometers from the shore up here in northern Europe and it's built to withstand the rigors of our environment.
As i was doing the "Post Apocalyptic" finish i had to first plate the lights, then plug up the holes and strip the Nickel from the outside. Knowing what that took i'm not really concerned with the durability of the plating. Well i mean if you sandblast it and leave it in the ocean for a week you're obviously going to have problems but still.
The environment in Hawaii may be worse but ours is not California :)

Having said that this light being a mule doesn't really have any throw so primary uses would be around the house, in the car or lighting the ground to see where you're going.
This is actually the first mule i ever owned and around the house it's in my opinion nothing short of brilliant. You get a really wide field of view with virtually no hot-spot making it ideal for close quarter kinda things.
Although one is never encouraged to use your own product :) last i really used it was in a vertical installation duct.
It's been a pain every time i had to do anything in there (Normally using an SF E2L) because there's no space and i normally either get "blinded" by the hot-spot or there's not enough spill to see what's going on.

BTW: this is actually a chemical Nickel Phosphorus plating. It's harder and more abrasion resistant than electroplated nickel.

If there's anything else i can do to alleviate your concerns please let me know.

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Mockbug arrived today and it's awesome!! You just don't realize how compact it is until you have it in hand. Below is a couple of pics next to a McGizmo Mule and an E1e, which are already very compact lights. I just love the shape and how it fits in the hand. Very well finished and smooth. No hard edges. And the dimple grip pattern is a pleasure to run your fingers over. Thank you AER-lights for sharing your story and letting us see this come to fruition.

ntMnKVn.jpg

gYdec1k.jpg

tqHG4DT.jpg

Last edited:

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
@ Badtziscool
The Mockbug arrived today and it's awesome!!
That is just about the ultimate reply and much more than i had dared to hope for.
THANK YOU!

That's some mighty fine company in those pictures.

Thank you AER-lights for sharing your story and letting us see this come to fruition
Not that i think you doubt this but it's been my pleasure. And i'm still overwhelmed by the support and help from you guys on this project.

Last edited:

AER-Lights

Newly Enlightened
Mockbug reflector mod

With things coming along nicely in the sales thread. Ehh ok... It might have stagnated a bit but we'll see what happens :) i figured it was time to complicate things again :)

The thing is that in context quite a few of you have suggested, requested, wanted a reflector light instead of a mule. (Btw. most of this was by PM)
And going into that leaves me with a couple of options.

1. I can go back and redesign the whole thing to accommodate a reflector. (As i have stated earlier as well)
  2. I can try to come up with a big honking shoehorn and attempt to make it fit.

At this point in time i'm not really a fan of option a. so i guess option b. is what we'll do :)
Mockbug-75.jpg

The problem in a nutshell is to make the reflector (2) fit in the space of the LED "cover" (3) using only the space i can steal from the pill (4) + whatever is left over from the cover (3).

I did some mockup testing to get an idea of the throw vs. spill of the reflector i ordered and to my surprise it seems to be pretty much spot on. Off-cause it has a lot less spill than a mule but if i compare it to something like an SF E2L (KX2) which used to be my go to light it has a lot more spill so as a compromise I think we're good.
I figure i should mention that i always believed that the KX2 has too much throw and not enough spill.

This should be a fun challenge :)

I'll let you know how this turns out. But it's likely to be a while.

Last edited:

pc_light

Enlightened
Nicely done AER-Lights, the Mockbug looks like a gem.

If space is at a premium would you consider an optic? There are some low profile optics (e.g., Fenix E16) that throw much like traditional reflectors.

I think "option b."- shoehorning would be a great idea. Particularly if you make retrofit kits available for both the remaining lights and those already sold. You would have the start of a "system" of lights with interchangeable engines/reflectors and keep existing customers coming back for more!

GLWS, sub'd and following.