Introducing the 007 Tri-V CPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would set the flood and McR-12 at 2 levels, a medium and a high. I would set the throw at High:D. Then the last level I would turn them all on high:grin2:. Then I would change my mind and play with the settings for weeks:party:.

brucec

Enlightened
Wow, that is just pure awesomeness! Now I don't know what to get for my first Spy... If you are still taking suggestiong, for what it's worth (probably not much), my personal opinion would be:
1. I would love a 2-emitter 2-cell flood/normal spot light. I'm not sure what I would be doing with a 500lumen aspheric! :eek:
2. Flood emitter mounted transverse (90degree angle) on the side of the normal reflector, perhaps even sharing the same heatsink. This is for using the flood in tailstanding mode, like an anglehead worklight. Perhaps a clip attachment on the backside. I always wish my Zebralight had another normal reflectored emitter right on top of the current head.
3. 3 levels of flood, 3 levels of normal

Anyway, very nice design, it looks like some serious engineering!

scout24

Flashaholic
:faint: Multiple levels of multiple color output with flood and aspheric throw in one of the most compact, intuitive, ergonomic packages ever? With bank vault swiss watch engineering? Must... sell... kidney...

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice Dave, I'll take one:paypal:!

Karl

PS Just kidding--I know they're not yet available but, I still want one!

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I've just been thinking... if the regular Spy007 wasn't desireable enough... well... I HAVE TO HAVE one of these!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Very Cool Dave! :hitit:

Sounds very interesting on paper and CAD designs. I would love to see a youtube demo whenever you get your Proto up and running.

I love the way Don (McGizmo) matched the "tints" of the emitters' wide and far beams on his Lunasol program.

With that said: Having three different tints in one light may be distracting to some, perhaps offering a Uni-tinted version may prove helpful. :eek:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I needed a bit of an "OK" before I opened a can of worms of ideas but, that being said.....I have always wanted a light which I could use for several functions. This concept with the three heads has gone far along in my desire for that "do everything" or at least "do most everything" light but...I'd like one of these heads to house a UV LED.

I visit the Southwest as much as I can and, being 57 but acting somewhat younger than my age (at least in this activity) have gone searching for scorpions on the desert floor at night with a good buddy of mine. I have used an Inova UV but sure would like to use the new 007 (should I be lucky enough to get one!) for this task. In case you didn't know, the bodies of the scorpions fluoresce when UV is csst upon them.

In addition, I do some star gazing with binoculars and a refractor telescope. As we know or believe, red light helps to preserve night vision. This fact is particularly important when trying to find that elusive celestial body which we can find on our charts but sure have a tough time locating in the sky. At 57 (ya know, the number of varieties of Heinz products?) my night vision recovery needs all the help it can get. A red LED sure would help
me...and possibly others!

So, there ya go--one "white", one UV and on red LED for the new "007 Tri-V CFP"! ta, da!

Now, this new light will cover all bases...or pret' near anyway! Ya listening Dave???

Karl

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
Wicked Dave!

Hmm... any possibilities of combining the warm head with the rotary switch? e.g. The warm head is embedded inside and at the centre of the rotary switch.

I'm thinking the above since I saw the relatively small footprint of MC-E without any reflector or optics.
If pulled through, it should make the design much more sleeker! :D

very encouraging news of flashlight development :thumbsup:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you everybody for your input. I take it all in and all input is welcome.

Wow, that is just pure awesomeness! Now I don't know what to get for my first Spy... If you are still taking suggestiong, for what it's worth (probably not much), my personal opinion would be:
1. I would love a 2-emitter 2-cell flood/normal spot light. I'm not sure what I would be doing with a 500lumen aspheric! :eek:
2. Flood emitter mounted transverse (90degree angle) on the side of the normal reflector, perhaps even sharing the same heatsink. This is for using the flood in tailstanding mode, like an anglehead worklight. Perhaps a clip attachment on the backside. I always wish my Zebralight had another normal reflectored emitter right on top of the current head.
3. 3 levels of flood, 3 levels of normal

Anyway, very nice design, it looks like some serious engineering!

All great ideas, thanks. A two emitter head may happen down the line. I invested in the STFu MK-II just for this very reason. It affords me the option to build out a lot of different scenarios. I know what folding all this into the SPY would do to its expense. The two emitter layout would be much more manageable.

The 90 degree head flood is a fun solution. I opted to point all the emitters forward so you would not have to reposition the light as you were going through the levels. But your idea would be great as a table lamp.

Thanks for the complement on the engineering. I have been studying aspherics and making aspheric protos of the 005 for many months now. Just ask Karl, he has had to sit and listen to all the details Ad nauseam for weeks. LOL I finally found the combination that works on the scale I have to work with. I have had my head inside solid models of this head for weeks now too. Making it all fit and look good was a lot of push and pull but making it something that can be machined and assembled is another task altogether.

Cheers
Dave

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Dave,
Seriously, you can't do this to me and my wallet - we're going through some hard times right now, and this is the last thing we most certainly NEED! :D
Nice work, and I can't imagine the amount of time and energy that has gone into getting this from (crazy) concept to (super cool) reality.
john

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Cool Dave! :hitit:

Sounds very interesting on paper and CAD designs. I would love to see a youtube demo whenever you get your Proto up and running.

I love the way Don (McGizmo) matched the "tints" of the emitters' wide and far beams on his Lunasol program.

With that said: Having three different tints in one light may be distracting to some, perhaps offering a Uni-tinted version may prove helpful. :eek:

If you wanted an Uni-tinted version that is of course no problem for me at all. I have an LS 27 too and love it. :nana:

However, seeing the tint change is a very cool effect and very practical too. The flood is so warm it defies coming from an LED. It lights up colors in a very friendly way. With the power available and the efficiency of the four die in the MC-E this thing lights up the room or the trail around you.

What I am saying is with this many lumens a warm flood can be used in some new ways. But it is best afforded when you can simply reach down the trail or to the far end of the hall in your house, just by clicking to a brighter shaped beam of "normal" white light.

It is not exactly like seeing the tint change as much as it is like walking away from the campfire or fireplace as you turn on your normal flashlight. The warm tint is something you are immersed in and the neutral tint is usually trained on something just over there a little bit away from you. My eyes do not even notice the tint change.

This is not easy to explain, sorry. I will try to make a video when the light is more complete.

Cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts