Introducing the 007 Tri-V CPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I needed a bit of an "OK" before I opened a can of worms of ideas but, that being said.....I have always wanted a light which I could use for several functions. This concept with the three heads has gone far along in my desire for that "do everything" or at least "do most everything" light but...I'd like one of these heads to house a UV LED.

I visit the Southwest as much as I can and, being 57 but acting somewhat younger than my age (at least in this activity) have gone searching for scorpions on the desert floor at night with a good buddy of mine. I have used an Inova UV but sure would like to use the new 007 (should I be lucky enough to get one!) for this task. In case you didn't know, the bodies of the scorpions fluoresce when UV is csst upon them.

In addition, I do some star gazing with binoculars and a refractor telescope. As we know or believe, red light helps to preserve night vision. This fact is particularly important when trying to find that elusive celestial body which we can find on our charts but sure have a tough time locating in the sky. At 57 (ya know, the number of varieties of Heinz products?) my night vision recovery needs all the help it can get. A red LED sure would help
me...and possibly others!

So, there ya go--one "white", one UV and on red LED for the new "007 Tri-V CFP"! ta, da!

Now, this new light will cover all bases...or pret' near anyway! Ya listening Dave???

Karl

Replacing the MC-E with a UV emitter is easy enough. It would be a great combo. I think there is a need to lock this feature out because of the extreme danger of powerful UV. The light should have six levels of white light and avoid the UV emitter until you "unlock" it and it should auto-lock back again after you turn it off for a few min.

Thanks Karl for everything! :bow:

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave,
Seriously, you can't do this to me and my wallet - we're going through some hard times right now, and this is the last thing we most certainly NEED! :D
Nice work, and I can't imagine the amount of time and energy that has gone into getting this from (crazy) concept to (super cool) reality.
john

I am sure I will have a big special for my documentation team! :grin2:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Titanium or 7075?

Rudi,

It could be either but titanium is the default. If it was 7075 it would not be anodized! If it was 6061 ano is an option but don't hold your breath because that requires me to rewrite my machining operation and in doing so would cost even more than the Ti.

What is your preference?

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is incredible!!! WOW!! I look forward to seeing more.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Having three different tints in one light may be distracting to some, perhaps offering a Uni-tinted version may prove helpful. :eek:
I like the idea of both the normal head and the aspheric being neutral, if not a tiny bit on the warm side and hope to see that option for tint come up.
So, there ya go--one "white", one UV and on red LED for the new "007 Tri-V CFP"! ta, da!
The ability to order custom emitter combinations seems like this light is begging for it. A UV in the aspheric for UV with throw, and a touch of warm flood just low enough to not interfere with scorpion searching, while lighting up the ground just enough to see at your feet!
Hmm... any possibilities of combining the warm head with the rotary switch? e.g. The warm head is embedded inside and at the centre of the rotary switch.

I'm thinking the above since I saw the relatively small footprint of MC-E without any reflector or optics.
If pulled through, it should make the design much more sleeker! :D
I love this idea too, keep the sleekness of the original design and how cool would that be, to have an emitter in the knob itself! :drool:
A two emitter head may happen down the line. I invested in the STFu MK-II just for this very reason. It affords me the option to build out a lot of different scenarios. I know what folding all this into the SPY would do to its expense. The two emitter layout would be much more manageable.
The moment I saw this I thought it probable that a two emitter unit would be next! That would be great with the warm floody beam, although I think 90 degree flood would be better, both from the perspective of not interfering with other people too much, but also focusing the beam within the area your own eyes can cover at once, which if I recall correctly is somewhere around 120 degrees?
If you wanted an Uni-tinted version that is of course no problem for me at all. I have an LS 27 too and love it. :nana:

However, seeing the tint change is a very cool effect and very practical too. The flood is so warm it defies coming from an LED. It lights up colors in a very friendly way. With the power available and the efficiency of the four die in the MC-E this thing lights up the room or the trail around you.

What I am saying is with this many lumens a warm flood can be used in some new ways. But it is best afforded when you can simply reach down the trail or to the far end of the hall in your house, just by clicking to a brighter shaped beam of "normal" white light.

It is not exactly like seeing the tint change as much as it is like walking away from the campfire or fireplace as you turn on your normal flashlight. The warm tint is something you are immersed in and the neutral tint is usually trained on something just over there a little bit away from you. My eyes do not even notice the tint change.

This is not easy to explain, sorry. I will try to make a video when the light is more complete.

Cheers
Dave
This post is really great and from my experience of always having all three colors with me I believe it's a grand approach, although I think I would prefer nothing cooler than neutral, which seems easily doable?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
. . .This post is really great and from my experience of always having all three colors with me I believe it's a grand approach, although I think I would prefer nothing cooler than neutral, which seems easily doable?

Sure, the aspheric can easily be neutral. I picked the cooler color because it would throw more lumens.

Cheers
Dave

gollum

Enlightened
:eek: looks fantastic ...alien/future-tech beam me up type of thing :clap:
thats very tempting and the options available will be quite remarkable
I'd like to see UV but would still want the MC-E
and tritium slots everywhere or better still a super efficient tiny UV marker light that either blinks or stays on constantly...
after all who would put this delight down for more than a nights sleep.
price?
any ball park ...I'll start saving now :takeit:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wicked Dave!

Hmm... any possibilities of combining the warm head with the rotary switch? e.g. The warm head is embedded inside and at the centre of the rotary switch.

. . .

Sorry, there is no chance of that happening. The knob is a complicated device that has evolved and refined over several years. To redesign it would require a large R&D investment.

Karl asked me to reshape the MC-E area. So here it is a little cleaner. Keep in mind, that space is very small and the emitter is rectangular inside there. I am having to make these pics larger than actual size so you can see the detail.

EDIT: pic removed due to updated design, see below.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

aikiman44

Enlightened
Got 3 blades in my razor, why not 3 emitters in my light?:naughty:

Placing an emitter in the knob, would that reduce the width?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Congrats and :eek:oo: :eek:oo:
If you manage to bring this to life, the bar will be raised indeed.

My only concern is the programmability, which makes it a no-go for me. But I admire this concept and I thank you for sharing it :)

bernie

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got 3 blades in my razor, why not 3 emitters in my light?:naughty:

Placing an emitter in the knob, would that reduce the width?

No, the McR12 is running way back through that side cylinder. Its emitter is holding it out.

The knob is a tiny amount of titanium that is thermally insulated from the rest of the body by the "buttery smooth dual Teflon bearings!" :nana: The MC-E can not handle having almost no heat sink.

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats and :eek:oo: :eek:oo:
If you manage to bring this to life, the bar will be raised indeed.

My only concern is the programmability, which makes it a no-go for me. But I admire this concept and I thank you for sharing it :)

bernie

Thanks bernie,

It would come programmed and ready to use. ;)

Cheers
Dave

McGizmo

Flashaholic
:thumbsup: Cool Dave! If I follow correctly and only one emitter will be lit at a time, tint variations are a non issue, beyond initial recognition as you switch. I suppose the only issue some might comment on is the ability to turn the light on in a specific mode as opposed to shifting through. Presumeably you plan to go from low and wide to long and tight so not a big deal.

:hitit:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: Cool Dave! If I follow correctly and only one emitter will be lit at a time, tint variations are a non issue, beyond initial recognition as you switch. I suppose the only issue some might comment on is the ability to turn the light on in a specific mode as opposed to shifting through. Presumeably you plan to go from low and wide to long and tight so not a big deal.

:hitit:

Yea, my initial plan was to have only one emitter on at a time. The default configuration may be that way. However, I do plan for the software to allow more than one emitter on at the same time if people so choose.

Cheers
Dave

easilyled

Flashaholic
What about an RGB type light, if you're going to have 3 emitters?

Would it be possible to have them coming on separately as well as coming on together with different intensities
to create white light of differing color temperatures that can be selected by the user?

Or this is just a pipe dream?

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
:eek: looks fantastic . . .
any ball park ...I'll start saving now :takeit:

Sorry I do not have any idea about price or availability. At this stage this is only a musing thought. After I finish the prototype and put it together I may know more.

Cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts