Introducing the SPY 007 XM-L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there still 6 levels of power? From your pictures, it looks like there may be 9 levels?
The switch I use is available in a 10 position version but the SPY only uses the 7 position version of it. I picked 6 power levels because SF picked that number on the old U2! :) Seamed good enough for them.!?!

Cheers
Dave

easilyled

Flashaholic
No, it is not possible, it gets too hot. The XP-G version rolls back to 1000mA as well, just like the Tri-V does.

The mass of the 007 eventually gets really hot with only 1000mA!! Above that would not be safe.

If the light was able to run continuously at a power level above 1000mA, then that would be a problem. Say someone turns it on and sets it down and walks away, it could get hot enough to damage the light itself or to burn you when you pick it up.

Cheers
Dave

Understood. Even the fact that it can run for a whole minute at 3.0 A is pretty impresssive for such a compact Ti light. :thumbsup:

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm jacked to get another spy, call me crazy. Please put the sale thread on Monday so maybe some of use can have them by TUrkeyDay...

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Understood. Even the fact that it can run for a whole minute at 3.0 A is pretty impresssive for such a compact Ti light. :thumbsup:

It does get hot in that one minute. However, in normal use I find I rarely run it for that long on high. 3000mA will chow on the batteries pretty quick.

The details of this high power use are up to you. As I have already said, turn it on high and set it down and it will take care of itself. However, each time you turn the light off it resets the time counter. So if you turn it off and right back on you can run it for longer than one minute at full power. But you should be very aware of just how hot the light is getting. Over heat it and the batteries or emitter will suffer. Remember never use batteries that are not matched and equally charged.

Take a new Corvette down the highway in second gear and it is going to get really hot, NOT good for the car. The same is true for this light, so use your hand to let you know if it is getting too hot.

There is a temp sensor in the CPU and it is watching things but it may not trip in every circumstance as it is at the other end of the board. There is a thermal overload built into the power IC too. But you do not want to slam that too many times either. So it is best if after it gets hot you give it a minute or two to cool off.

OK guys? :)

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm jacked to get another spy, call me crazy. Please put the sale thread on Monday so maybe some of use can have them by TUrkeyDay...

I am trying to do just that but they are still several hours away from being done. Going back to work. . . It is coming along nicely, I may put some up Monday.

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights are assembled. I am now starting final testing. It is possible that some could ship tomorrow.

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
To those of you who want the SW GG, I am working on them. As for the engraving I am going to look into that as soon as I can. We have never engraved those complex patterns into titanium and need to test it out before we can say how it would go. My suspicion is it will work great on the SW GG because the rough edges would be knocked off by the stone wash.

Cheers
Dave

exquzmwa

Enlightened
Hi Data,

Wasn't sure the best thread to leave a message in, so I picked this one (realizing the sales thread hasn't been posted yet). When the sales thread goes up if you are selling the parts to update an older spy to XM-L if the price is right I would love to get one. However, the reason I'm leaving this reply in the thread is I wanted to see if it would be possible to get a magnetic base for the Tri V, and also a couple of the beads for a 007.

Thanks in advance.

Curtis

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Data,

Wasn't sure the best thread to leave a message in, so I picked this one (realizing the sales thread hasn't been posted yet). When the sales thread goes up if you are selling the parts to update an older spy to XM-L if the price is right I would love to get one. However, the reason I'm leaving this reply in the thread is I wanted to see if it would be possible to get a magnetic base for the Tri V, and also a couple of the beads for a 007.

Thanks in advance.

Curtis

The SPY 007 Mini Picatinny Rail Accessories thread has sales info on the magnetic base. I just got more magnets so the mag base kit and the mag base fully assembled are both available. Keep in mind you need a GPA to use it with a 007 or Tri-V.

I do not sell the beads, please check with the titanium bead thread for beads. The glass beads I give away with a new light are simple to get at any local craft store. Or you can send me an SASE and I will send you a couple.

A 007 upgrade kit is far too complected and not something I am going to offer.

Cheers
Dave

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds good. If I sell a lightbtonight i may try a GG version as PP will be healthier.
I was ready to get the XPG version before you mentioned this XM-L.
I don't "need" all that light but it is just so damn cool.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hit a snag with my programmer's interface connector. :( Now the testing is restarted but it is progressing slowly.

There will NOT be a sale today.

I need to work my way through all the lights and that is taking longer than I anticipated. I am doing the testing with several sets of IMR batteries and each time they all get depleted I have to wait. Sorry. I will keep you informed as I progress.

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the lights were ready to go but I just saw that I set the upper limit on the programming at the wrong value so I get to reprogram them all again. :|

I am working it.

I found the issue by programming a light for 3000 and when I checked the value with the PU5 it reported 3010. It will pick up an extra click some times if I fat finger it. I was like, what? that should be limited to 3000. So I look at the code and remember in the early testing I set the upper limit higher to see how it behaved and never set it back.

I am working it.

I hope you are all having a great vacation if it has stared yet. We will have 23 people in the house tomorrow for t-day. :) Some have already arrived.

I have found out in the testing that the IMR cells are quite the troopers. So far not a single battery issue.

There are some pics on my twitter @coolfallinc

Cheers
Dave

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great news Dave.
Have a great T day.
Even though I reside in the Great White North, I will be celebrating US T Day this year, as we had a cousin trace our family tree, and low & behold, we are decendants of the Mayflower. Great x? Grandparents were on that boat.

Yes, No, Yes, No, i dont know if i should buy the XP-G or XM-L Version.
Think the XM-L became hot if i use it longer.....Wish i had the money to own both :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts