Introducing the SPY 007 XM-L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had no choice but to take a few days off as there were so many relatives here this weekend. The kids are still off school too. I will resume testing and let you all know when the sale will be as soon as I can.

I am reprogramming them to a max of 3000mA now as well, hope the programming fixture holds out.

CustomCollector, The XM-L is not any hotter than the XP-G if you are running them at the same power levels. The XP-G gives a very uniform color from the emitter (if you are a white wall hunter) but the XM-L will light up the entire front yard (if you are a power hungry monger and don't mind rechargeable batts).

Cheers
Dave

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave
Hope you had a great extended weekend.
I see CC is no longer with us , again, but I love your comment about your lights. That is exactly why I think the XM-L version will be perfect.
Assuming it has the 4 programmable slots, one can leave the first slot to run on primaries, capped at 1000. Then slot 2 can ramp up to 3000 when you "need" that extra kick of light.
Can't wait.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I was wondering whether Dave would make the default levels incorporate the potential to drive level 6 at 3A

Something like:-

1) 2ma
2) 20ma
3) 150ma
4) 750ma
5) 1500ma
6) 3000ma

Level 5 and 6 would then step down after a certain period of time gradually to 1000ma

Being lazy, I would probably prefer this setup rather than being forced to use the programming facility.

blackfly

Enlightened
Being lazy, I would probably prefer this setup rather than being forced to use the programming facility.

The whole point in having a light like the Spy is to learn & use the programming facility. Otherwise we'd all be buying Dorcy or Eveready lights from Walmart.

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering whether Dave would make the default levels incorporate the potential to drive level 6 at 3A

Something like:-

1) 2ma
2) 20ma
3) 150ma
4) 750ma
5) 1500ma
6) 3000ma

Level 5 and 6 would then step down after a certain period of time gradually to 1000ma

It bothers me that you think the programming is in any way difficult. I guess it is till you see somebody do it. I will have to make better videos.

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that that would be the perfect default setting that the light would return to every time you changed batteries and powered up.

The SPY has EEPROM memory. Once programmed to work with what ever batteries you choose to use, it will stay that way until you change it.

Cheers
Dave

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The whole point in having a light like the Spy is to learn & use the programming facility. Otherwise we'd all be buying Dorcy or Eveready lights from Walmart.
Not even close. :shakehead

There are many who like Dave's default settings just fine and suggesting that his settings are no good or that Walmart lights are on par when you take away the programming is insulting to all the rest of us, but particularly to Data himself.

I'm sure you meant some of this tongue in cheek, but it's still a rude insinuation that these other owners are incapable of appreciating the Spy's better points without having to even care a whit about programming. It's not that difficult to program once you get it, but people that don't want to learn really don't need to as the defaults will probably work perfectly for 95% of purchasers. I lowered my bottom settings, but it sure doesn't mean anyone else needs to just because they can.
The SPY has EEPROM memory. Once programmed to work with what ever batteries you choose to use, it will stay that way until you change it.

Cheers
Dave
I saw that earlier and had meant to post this same info. Thanks for making such great lights and I hope you've still got in the back of your head the one we talked about last year when I was deciding to buy a Tri-V. :D

blackfly

Enlightened
Not even close. :shakehead

There are many who like Dave's default settings just fine and suggesting that his settings are no good or that Walmart lights are on par when you take away the programming is insulting to all the rest of us, but particularly to Data himself.

I'm sure you meant some of this tongue in cheek, but it's still a rude insinuation that these other owners are incapable of appreciating the Spy's better points without having to even care a whit about programming. It's not that difficult to program once you get it, but people that don't want to learn really don't need to as the defaults will probably work perfectly for 95% of purchasers. I lowered my bottom settings, but it sure doesn't mean anyone else needs to just because they can.
I was not trying to be taken as insulting in any way to anyone. I just meant that, to me, the whole fun part of getting one of these lights is learning & using the programming capability. Although It would still be a superior light minus that capability, being able to program it with 6 switch positions & 4 memory slots sets the Spy apart from any other light.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I was not trying to be taken as insulting in any way to anyone. I just meant that, to me, the whole fun part of getting one of these lights is learning & using the programming capability. Although It would still be a superior light minus that capability, being able to program it with 6 switch positions & 4 memory slots sets the Spy apart from any other light.
Well it definitely does sit apart from anything else out there no doubt and I take your point about the outstanding capabilities, but the fact that it offers all that, but doesn't need to be programmed to be useful is testament to how much thought went into making them and choosing the levels at the outset.

It's funny that I complimented Dave on the light being able to go so low that no one, not even BeaconofLight or myself, could use it, which made it perfect for anyone wanting low output. He told me then that the reason it can go that low was not that he desired super lows, that was just a side benefit, but that he wanted rock solid stability and one way to insure it was to go all the way down to the basement with it.

Damn, can't wait to get my XM-L modded 007 next week, and yes, since it's changed from an XP-G, I'm sure it's going to need some tweeks on the bottom end at least. :whistle:

easilyled

Flashaholic
The whole point in having a light like the Spy is to learn & use the programming facility.
I have used the programming facility before, but the default levels have often been so good that I have found no need to program other combinations in. Suggesting a default combination that suits me is not a crime as far as I am aware.

easilyled

Flashaholic

That "to me" qualification certainly makes quite a difference. Pity you didn't say it originally.

karlheinz3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally fall into the "STUPID" category. I have owned at least a dozen custom "Milky Spit" lights that Scott engineered exotic firmware for and I never figured them out. Only the most recent Milky Haiku mod with a simple high and low is in my realm of expertise and I love it! I have had six Spy lights from Data and only have a vague comprehension of how to program all of the settings. I have watched the videos and read the instructions online but still have problems understanding everything and how to hold a new setting in one slot and not multiple. I guess I just don't have the time to play and decipher all the "DATA" to get the highest and best usage out of the Spy flashlights. I just like the look and feel of the Spy 007 and can't wait for the XM-L to hit the streets! I have had the same problem with Ra Lights and I think that McGizmo's are so popular because "DUMMIES" like me can have instant "POINT and SHOOT" gratification. Dave is a GENIUS and I just wish I had just a fraction of his comprehension of electronics! Five years ago before I joined CPF I knew a whole hell of a lot less than I do today so I want to personnaly thank the forum for broadening my horizons and introducing me to some GREAT people over the past few years. Thanks CPF!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have used the programming facility before, but the default levels have often been so good that I have found no need to program other combinations in. Suggesting a default combination that suits me is not a crime as far as I am aware.
I personally fall into the "STUPID" category. I have owned at least a dozen custom "Milky Spit" lights that Scott engineered exotic firmware for and I never figured them out. Only the most recent Milky Haiku mod with a simple high and low is in my realm of expertise and I love it! I have had six Spy lights from Data and only have a vague comprehension of how to program all of the settings. I have watched the videos and read the instructions online but still have problems understanding everything and how to hold a new setting in one slot and not multiple. I guess I just don't have the time to play and decipher all the "DATA" to get the highest and best usage out of the Spy flashlights. I just like the look and feel of the Spy 007 and can't wait for the XM-L to hit the streets! I have had the same problem with Ra Lights and I think that McGizmo's are so popular because "DUMMIES" like me can have instant "POINT and SHOOT" gratification. Dave is a GENIUS and I just wish I had just a fraction of his comprehension of electronics! Five years ago before I joined CPF I knew a whole hell of a lot less than I do today so I want to personally thank the forum for broadening my horizons and introducing me to some GREAT people over the past few years. Thanks CPF!
Very timely posts and it can not be said enough times, although the Spy's have extensive programming capacity, you can use them out of the box and never worry that you've not gotten your money's worth.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Testing has been much more difficult that I expected. I apologize for the delay. I have made minor changes to the software and am still evaluating. I am making progress. :)

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Testing is complete. The sale will be soon. But do you guys think the forum is running smoothly? I have had trouble getting in.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Testing is complete. The sale will be soon. But do you guys think the forum is running smoothly? I have had trouble getting in.

Lately the forum has been a bit like the weather in the UK. Wait for a sunny day and it may never come. ;)

Please can you confirm what the default levels of current and light output will be at each switch position, if possible?

Last edited:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the input on the forum health.

The default levels of the Cal are as follows:

3 mA
15 mA
80 mA
250 mA
500 mA
1000 mA

Cheers
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.