Is anyone interested in a Nichia 92 CRI 4500 K HDS light?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me of course! But as far as I know Henry has not totally cleared the backlog so it might take a few more months.

Maybe a little less (then again, my wallet can wait a whole year, but not me!). One guy ordered on the 3rd and received on th 11th, but that's just one model of course.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, maybe not soon enough to start holding your breath as they still have 400+ day old orders to fill, but we're getting closer, I can just feel it. My wallet too...

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
It may be a while before the backlog clears. In the 'when did you order thread', there are several people that are still waiting after 400+days. In January, the wishful thought was the backlog would be clear by now. 4-8 weeks wait right?......

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
You seem to forget that some that have ordered less than 80 days ago also got their lights. HDS can only clear the backlog as parts are available and they're most likely clearing orders by model rather than actual wait time because it's a lot easier and faster to make a huge batch of identical lights all at once. Once they cleared the backlog they'll likely still be 2 months behind with the new orders, but I'm cool with that, especially compared with 400 day waits. Anyways, my wallet hates this thread already :devil:

mthayr

Newly Enlightened
It's my EDC, has been for years - so it has been used and abused, hence the scratches :D This light has gone through numerous emitters... Golden Dragon, K2 TFFC XP-E, XP-G, XP-G High CRI, XM-L in cool and neutral, Nichia 219 single and now Nichia 219 triple.

I'd be in for an HDS clicky Nichia 92 should there ever be one (have a Peak Logan with the Nichia 92 in it from Overready - good light but the QTC stuff is kinda a pain)... Curious though, if one were to order a stock clicky to mod would it matter the model? Anyone know what the Nichia can safely handle (EDC 100/140/200)?? :thanks:

HighLumens

Enlightened
Anyone know what the Nichia can safely handle (EDC 100/140/200)?? :thanks:

The Nichia B10 has a luminous flux of 100 to 110 lm at 350 mah so it is more or less equivalent to a Cree Q4 (with the old binning standard, i.e. at 25 C° room temperature a Q4 had a flux of 100-107 lm at 350 mah - as opposed to the current standard which is 85 C° room temperature and a flux of 100-107 lm at 350 mah is binned as a Q2. Here is a link to explain it better than I can :) , please read page 2 of this pdf).

Since the 120 Hi cri HDS currently avalaible uses a Q2 we may expect a 15% higher output (Q4 is 2 bin higher than Q2 and each bin gives about 7% more flux than the previous) so a 140 lumen output sounds resoneable to me.

As always, I'm not expert in the technical aspects and I don' t know if there are other thing to consider (forward voltage and other things I totally ignore) in order to get a more accurate estimation of what the fial output will be.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the hype with the Nichia 119/219 is the fact that they can be had at 4500K (very white) all other High CRI's are really warm (yellow tint). The cooler tint also allows them to be brighter and efficient.

After living with my HCRI Rotary for close to a week. It looks like the Nichia 219's tint is what I'm after ... http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?336907-Post-your-Nichia-219-4500k-beamshots

You'll understand why if you read my post in HDS Systems #16 thread.

But gee-whiz, I'm not sure if I wanna mod this light. You know, just in case I need Henry's warranty for the HCRI Rotary, especially since my Rotary 200 was sent to Henry two or three times. I guess I need to talk to Henry to confirm his warranty policy regarding his software / firmware and switch, etc..

What do you think, good idea, bad idea? Oh well, I guess we'll just have to see what Pops' gonna do!

Last edited:

diesel79

Enlightened
I like the warm tint of the HDS, but I do have a couple McGizmo HCRI lights and it is pretty tough to accept anything other than the beautiful neutral tint of the Nichia 4500k.

You will have to report back and let us know if an emitter swap voids the warranty.

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the warm tint of the HDS, but I do have a couple McGizmo HCRI lights and it is pretty tough to accept anything other than the beautiful neutral tint of the Nichia 4500k.

You will have to report back and let us know if an emitter swap voids the warranty.

I'll give Henry a call this week sometime! If it's a go, off it'll go to the Pacific Northwest. But I'm not getting excited till I get the word!

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure Henry will say a LED swap will void the warranty.

Yes a mod will void Henry's warranty, however should anyone have a problem with their HDS. I'd highly recommend that the person contact Henry. I mentioned this before, and I'll mention it again. Henry's an easy guy to talk to, and absolutely stands behind his product!

Pops

Latest posts