Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it "Gumband" or "rubberband"
Is it a "Crick" or a "creek"
Is it "Nebby" or "nosey"
Is it "Redd up" or "clean/straighten up"
Is it "Slippy" or "slippery" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
We use 'armoire' here, too. We also say 'chiffarobe'. That's something big with drawers, but furniture -- not human.

Here the oldtimers usually pronounce the name Earl as Oil and they will then in the same breath pronounce oil as earl. Really. If they are both used in the same sentance it may be confusing and sound amazingly wrong.

"...Oil went to the hardware store to pick up some earl..."

Go figure.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Chuck - you used to work in radio? Cool. Where?

Jtice - Park in a driveway, drive in a parkway. Yeh, I'm a Carlin fan too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I visited Bammah (Alabama) once and I almost needed a translator! I don't remember half of the stuff I heard there, but I distinctly recall the feeling of being completely lost, linguistically speaking! Charming people though.

BTW, here it's -

Porch
water fountain
pop
bag
...but drive just an hour and a half south and "bag" morphs into "sack." Please?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Nitroz said:
In Georgiah, hehe... It seems that no matter what carbonated beverage you ask for, it usually called a "Coke". As in, "George, do want a Coke", and you hand him a Big K drink. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that's true! Now whats the heck are grits? I've heard they come with EVERYthing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Lurker said:
Where I'm from "vehicle" is pronounced with very audible "h" like Vee-Hikel. I don't know how common that is, but that "h" was silent where I grew up.

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason I hear that pronounciation from a lot of LEOs. Must be a "cop thing" also. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
"...Oil went to the hardware store to pick up some earl..."

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, that would make my brain hurt! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Fat_Tony said:
MaxaBaker: I've noticed that the closer I get to Philly, the more I hear "wood-er" instead of "what-er".

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate that!!!! I have always pronounced water the correct way. IT'S NOT WOOD-ER!!!!!

I have noticed people in my area replacing the 'th' in the beginning of some words with a 'd'.

ex: That = Dat

There have beeen a few posts about people not liking the way the english language is changing. If you don't like it, I agree with you!!!!! I absolutely HATE the slang that is spoken today. I admit, I slip sometimes and say "gonna" for example, but some of the things THat people say today is just plain terrible!!!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MaxaBaker said:
There have beeen a few posts about people not liking the way the english language is changing. If you don't like it, I agree with you!!!!! I absolutely HATE the slang that is spoken today. I admit, I slip sometimes and say "gonna" for example, but some of the things THat people say today is just plain terrible!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hear, hear. I agree completely, MaxaBaker. It seems that modern culture is drifting way over the centerline as far as being able to speak in plain, sensible terms. A spoken phrase shouldn't require a lot of deciphering in order to comprehend it, especially when it's supposed to be one's native language.

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
Chuck - you used to work in radio? Cool. Where?

[/ QUOTE ]

Back in the late 60's I went to a broadcasting school here in Kansas City, MO. My first job was in a small, rural area in Fairfield, Iowa (or is it, "I-o-were"). The station call sign was KMCD. We played middle-of-the-road music (even though the boss wanted big-band music) and public interest. We tried to sneak in some rock. A one-minute commercial cost less than a dollar (or is it, "doll-a".) When I was not spinning records, I collected and wrote news. (I can imagine that there are a lot of people on CPF that have never owned a phonograph.)

My next gig was at a Christian radio station in Kansas City called KCCV.

Then, I moved on to my next career and never went back to radio.

Chuck

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grits are made from corn. They are served with everything in the South, but are available even up here in Yankee-land.

Not only that, but hominy and succotash are also some different food items made from corn. It seems that all parts of an ear of corn, as even with the squeal of a pig, get used for food.

Now before I go on to describe some wonderful Scottish delicacies, back to the slow death of the English language...

Dude, it's like, fersure, ya know, like, ya know, it's like, ya know, uh, really, uh, bad, like, uh, ya know? Ya, uh, like, know, Dude?

LightChucker

Enlightened
Here is one that even professional speakers are getting wrong lately. Just read to the words.

The correct phrase is:
"I couldn't care less."
As in, "I could NOT care any less than I do right now."

Incorrect:
"I could care less."
This is incorrect because it is saying that you DO care. In other words, you do care, at least a little bit, so there is room to care less. Remember that this is meant to be an insult to the listener.

Chuck

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait a minute. Isn't a stoop something that you stomp your feet on to clear the mud off your shoes before entering the premises?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate it when people drink vanella melk then sleep on a pellow in Ellanoy. A friend of mine used to pronounce things like that, and it drove me crazy.
And I say: Pop, water fountain, porch, and bag.

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Big_Ed said:
I hate it when people drink vanella melk then sleep on a pellow in Ellanoy. A friend of mine used to pronounce things like that, and it drove me crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

My best friend says 'melk' and 'pellow' like that!!!!!! It annoys the crap out of me!! I've resorted to making fun of him for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (light-heartedly of course) He's a very stubborn person and cannot admit his mispronunciation though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
chmsam said:
Dude, it's like, fersure, ya know, like, ya know, it's like, ya know, uh, really, uh, bad, like, uh, ya know? Ya, uh, like, know, Dude?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fo' shizzle mah bizzle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
LightChucker said:
Here is one that even professional speakers are getting wrong lately. Just read to the words.

The correct phrase is:
"I couldn't care less."
As in, "I could NOT care any less than I do right now."

Incorrect:
"I could care less."
This is incorrect because it is saying that you DO care. In other words, you do care, at least a little bit, so there is room to care less. Remember that this is meant to be an insult to the listener.

Chuck

[/ QUOTE ]

That always annoys me too. Another favorite is "irregardless." Huh?

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Porch - large area to sit, usually large enough for chairs, at the top of the steps. Always larger than the area just in front of the door

Stoop - the steps and landing in front of the house - slightly wider than the front door, but definately NOT as large as a porch - not big enough for a chair unless you block the door

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Don't you mainland guys know anything? "Stoop" is when you're bent over, and everybody knows a Porch is a sports car.

And Lanai is what we use for stoop/porch over here./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Don't you mainland guys know anything? "Stoop" is when you're bent over, and everybody knows a Porch is a sports car.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif