Is it just me... or has JetBeam been doing down hill?

pblanch

Enlightened
Well I got my first Jetbeam 2 days ago. The PA40W with smooth reflector.

It is really nice and not only oozes class but feels like a really high quality item. Screwing the head on/off is like silk, and the tint is perfect. Very impressed.

The head does get hot in the highest mode but the handle stays cool (to be fair it is summer here).

JCup

Newly Enlightened
It's you, or at least there are some contrary experiences. My JetBeam collection started with a C-LE V2 about four years ago, then a Jet-1 Pro R2. Those were both great, still work well. I don't have any of the models you criticize, but I have several recent designs, the BA-20, the BC-10, and the PA-40. They all perform very well and have no quality issues - I would recommend them.

The B series lights have some compromises to reduce cost, but that is not an issue in my consideration. JetBeam offers a very broad product line, and the lower cost offerings they have recently produced are generally good values. My 2xAA BA-20 sees a lot of use and is a great performer. The PA-40 is clearly a derivative of the Fenix LD40 design, but it improves that design in several ways. I consider the PA40 to be a "top of the hill" light, and I'm not uneducated. There may be some issues with the designs you mention, but IMHO the Company still has many good offerings.

HIDblue

Enlightened
My first Jetbeam, a IIIM, was DOA on arrival but I've since bought an E3S, RRT-0 and BC40 and couldn't be happier with both build quality and performance.

My E3S has seen a lot of use, has been dropped several times and still keeps on ticking.

LGT

Enlightened
I don't think that they're going down hill. They still make some nice programmable lights. I really don't think the less expensive lights they are making now are a step backwards, but just an attempt to meet a different market.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Hi CPFer's! Not to beat a dead horse (or anything of the like) but I just received my pc10 in the mail today from a trusted seller in the U.S. I excitedly opened the box to find a very schmexy looking pc10. I noticed 1 tiny minor problem, the LED was not completely centered, which I'm sure will cause just a teeny bit of artifacts. I unscrewed the tailcap to drop in a fresh CR123 (panasonic), and there is a MAJOR problem, the tailcap grinds because the threading inside the cap has been DINGED. OH NOES! So I contacted the dealer to see what I should do, and am awaiting a response. Anyways, I agree that Jetbeam has been riding on the coat-tails of their previous successes, and not all of their lights cater to the knowledgeable base of customers that are here on CPF. I remember playing with a friend's older RRT0, and it was almost completely aesthetically flawless internally and externally. (Quite a solid feeling light as well). Their QC is very disappointing, as it seems it is nonexistent. :(

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I certainly wasn't that impressed with my first 2 Jetbeam purchases.

My first was a BK135A. I loved the external appearance, white tint and programmable interface. Unfortunately, the light overheated and fried after just 5 minutes of use on high on a regular AA battery. I sent it back for repair. Got it back 2 months later, but the replacement driver was that of a PA01, which had a much worse UI than the BK135A. I think a big issue as far as heat was concerned was that the LED was mounted directly onto the stainless steel collar, and steel doesn't dissipate heat well.

My second Jetbeam was a PA01. Brighter than the BK135A and more reliable. This one didn't overheat. But it also had some very disappointing features: It had a greener tint that any other LED light I owned. And it had a rather bad interface that included strobe on the main cycle.

However, I've had a much better experience with my most recent Jetbeam: an RRT-01. This light is superb. It's very well designed and small, with a fantastic interface and white tint. Definitely better than my Sunwayman V10R XM-L. The RRT-01 is a first-rate EDC light and has restored my faith in Jetbeam.

Can't wait for my TCR1 to arrive!