Is it worth getting a Fisher Space pen?

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...got myself a new fine point black refill, and it was totally different, no leaks!...
Ditto that, I put fine point blue ink in mine. I sent several medium refills back, complained about the smearing, & asked that they replace them with fine point blue (as I had heard they didn't smear or leak). They did! I'm never without my bullet!

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
i i have my pants on i have my matte black bullet with me (it lives in my wallet)
i love mine, and will probably get another one if i ever wear this one out
i also have a stowaway ? somewhere, when i find it it will go back in my camera bag

Marduke

Flashaholic
For those of you unsatisfied with your bullets (too small, globing ink, etc.), PM me and I might be willing to buy it off you.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carried a bullet-shaped space pen for awhile. Never really liked it. I'd carry it for awhile and when I went to use it, a big glob of ink would be stuck on the point.

I just picked up a two-pack of the Zebra F-301 compact. Works like a champ, not that much bigger then the bullet pens. Very cool. The 2-pack was like 9 bucks.

http://www.zebrapen.com/ball-f301compact.html

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a matte black and chrome space pen for quite a few years, although the chrome one has disappeared for years at a time. It turned up a week or two ago again, but I only carried it for a day or two before it disappeared again. I think because the chrome is so much more slippery than my matte black pen it falls out of my pocket when sitting down so much easier.

I'll often carry the Zebra F301 pen instead though. I have several of them, and at only $4 for a two-pack at WalMart, if I lose one, I'm only out $2 instead of $20 for a space pen.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been edcing a bullet pen for about 3 weeks now, and I'm never going back to bic or any other pen company. I love the size of the thing, and I like knowing that the ink will flow, no matter what I'm writing on. Sure its not as freeflowing as a gel, but I don't expect it to be. This pen is a working tool, keep your fancy writing instruments for writing checks/signatures etc...

...although I think the Lamy Safari pen has caught my eye...:huh:

Mayo

thiswayup

Newly Enlightened
Having worked as a high-end Pen Salesman a few years ago, I didn't find them to be great pens. They do write every which way and underwater. But so what? How often do you need a pen capable of that?

Rarely. But they also let you write reasonably waterproof notes on virtually any type of paper you can scavenge or might have to annotate at any angle. Very useful sometimes for normal purposes, and extremely so for survival kits, I'm told.

The ink in the cartridges makes you feel like you're using a piece of chalk. Even by ballpoint standards, the ink comes out very rough.

Not anymore. The refills I've bought in the past couple of years are excellent. As fall as bp's go - I prefer my 50's Triumph nib Snorkel fountain pen.

I use pens that take standard ballpoint Cross or Parker cartridges. Very smooth ink flow, never had one leak on me, and replacement cartridges don't require a special trip to a pen store.

I order my refills online, so I don't need to make a trip anywhere.

For $30, you get a quality pen. If you want a very smooth-writing ballpoint; look elsewhere.

A space pen refill will go in any pen that takes a Parker refill. You can get an excellent brass bodied twist action pen for $8 on ebay - probably better than any current Parker - and put a space pen refill inside.

thiswayup

Newly Enlightened
I've been edcing a bullet pen for about 3 weeks now, and I'm never going back to bic or any other pen company. I love the size of the thing, and I like knowing that the ink will flow, no matter what I'm writing on. Sure its not as freeflowing as a gel, but I don't expect it to be. This pen is a working tool, keep your fancy writing instruments for writing checks/signatures etc...

I'd use the Fisher on cheques: it's harder for a forger to mess with, although not as hard as a cellulose binding fountain pen ink like Noodlers Eternal.

One tip with the bullet pen: superglue the clip to the damn thing - relying on friction will mean a lost pen in the end.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
I sent "several" new refills back and asked that they replace them with the fine point blues and they did!

Dang! I wish I thought of that !!

I went through a phase of liking the Bullet Pen design, but hating the leakage from the refills (a long while ago, actually).

The newer refills are much better, and I am now starting to buy the AG-7 'astronaut' pen, with the retractable nib, as a supplement to my many bullet pens, which I find ideal as Filofax pens, as they are a snug fit in the pen loops therein.

As a volunteer EMS, I'm also hoping that the space pen refills will write better on the back of my nitrile gloves, as the Parker refills tend to drag a little (I use the fine black parkers as my day job is with the Royal Air Force as an aircraft engineer - lots of precision writing).

Fargus

Newly Enlightened
Oh, you foolish people. Why would you want a mere 'space' pen, when you could have a COMBAT PEN!!!!!

Timberline025FXPen.jpg

That right! It is a Timberline Combat Pen.

It slices, dices, and causes death and destruction to your foes. Who could possibly live without one? As one of the testimonials indicates, you could seriously put someone's eye out with this deadly writing implement.

Nope, no wimpy space pen for me. I want a pen that can write someone's will and kill them 10 seconds later. :thumbsup:

javafool

Enlightened
I have several Fisher S725 Trekker Space pens and an Explorer that I use all the time. They have a rubber or silicone grip that makes them a lot more comfortable than the standard bullet. I like them much more than the Inka's I used to carry, just slightly longer but significant. The Fisher refills also come in several interesting colors if you want something different than boring black, blue or red.

Terry Fisher
(No relation)

www.penwa.com or specifically: http://www.penwa.com/fisher/newfrom.htm

Last edited:

Gadget Guy

Newly Enlightened
I had a Bullet Space Pen for years, and hated it because the ink oozed out of the nib - whenever I wanted to use it, I had to wipe the nib first.

I recently had another go with the pen, got myself a new fine point black refill, and it was totally different, no leaks !

I now have 4 bullet space pens, 3 chrome, one old 2 tone brass and black, and a retractable space pen on the way. The Bulet Pens are the perfect fit for my Filofax pen loop.

I used to have the same problem. The newer versions seem to be much better. I have a couple of them and so far I'm really happy with the overall quality.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Oh, you foolish people. Why would you want a mere 'space' pen, when you could have a COMBAT PEN!!!!!

Timberline025FXPen.jpg

That right! It is a Timberline Combat Pen.

And the company screwed up by advertising it as such! :thumbsdow

Maybe if they didn't use the word "tactical" in the name.... An excellent design with an artistic flare to it. (I heard it takes Fisher Space Pen refills too). But imagine if you one day have to use it?

Ironically, there really are few pens on the market that make ideal defensive tools. But none of those are advertised as anything more than a pen. And that's the key thing!

toos

Newly Enlightened
I have an AG-7 and a Bullet. The Bullet is always in my wallet, but I prefer the AG-7. Great pen, always works. I've used it so much the chrome is wearing off. It really does work under the most adverse conditions. Highly recommended.

ZDP189

Newly Enlightened
I owned a space pen and the biggest problem was getting it to write even on paper. If you ask me, I wouldn't bother.

Latest posts