Israeli Set-Beam 150 watt xenon, No power supply

medmike

Newly Enlightened
Just acquired as title says. Same as this one-->

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Laser-Searchlight-where-to-find-missing-cord

Started tear down, looks like I will try to bypass Igniter in handle (will get pics up soon). BVH has been helping me behind the sceens. I have an Oriel power supply (50-200 Watt) with igniter on the way, but I will need power (26-28 volts) for focus and fan. Xenon is Cermax lamp needing about 10-13 volts IIRC. So circuitry in light might step down 28 volts to light volts possibly.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions?

As I look at it...I'm thinking of keeping it simple. Oriel power supply hooked up directly to xenon lamp leads (bypassing the integrated circuit board) for ignition/power and separate small battery hookup for focus/beam adjust/fan.

Thanks

Last edited:

medmike

Newly Enlightened
9 volt battery will run the beam/spot focus motor. Tried fan but did't move , it might be thermally switched.

BVH

Flashaholic
I may be dreaming but when I read your post on the fan operation, I suddenly thought I might remember FritzHID saying something to me about the fan requiring high frequency AC power. I could be way off but that was my first inclination. I asked him to stop by here.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
And stopped by I have.

Before the fire, when i tested The light Bob sent me, the fan contacts were showing 367v A.C., which I thought was very odd. It's also at a freq higher than 60hz, unfortunately I lacked any freq meters at the time so couldn't determine exactly what it was.

medmike

Newly Enlightened
Wow.... That's crazy. I'll just retrofit a twelve volt high flow fan after popping existing blades off. Once ebay drops off the Oriel ps, I'll give it a go. Won't be pretty but hope it works. Battery for 12 v fan and small (very small) beam adjust motor can be light weight r/c cell, but heck.... The Oriel will be the ball and chain so might as well use high capacity SLA for them.

Last edited:

WDR

Newly Enlightened
I know that 400hz is common in military and aviation, so that might be a possibility.

medmike

Newly Enlightened
Pin out for focus switched traced....so 12v supply will hook to handle no problem. Took blades from fan off and writing at fan contacts state "12v ~ 50/60 hz"...made in Germany of all places. So a 12v a/c fan.....would be easier to swap it out for 12v dc.

looking at somethong like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O0DE8K/?tag=cpf0b6-20

probably could fit in original housing.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure it has enough airflow to cool that cermax.

The fan in the light I tested had no markings what so ever. I just powered the unit and measured. Wouldn't surprise me if there were more than 1 rev out there.

medmike

Newly Enlightened
Thanks FRITZHID.....I forgot I have a 120 vac to 12 vac wall- wart in my stash, so should be able to use the original fan!

medmike

Newly Enlightened
Original fan is good to go with 12 volt a/c :twothumbs. So will have complete light working once Oriel ps shows up.

1)Original handle Pin-out for battery (maybe simple 9v hosehold cell since it works) for beam narrow/wide focus buttons
2)Solder other pin-outs for 120vac to 12vac wall-wart for original fan.
3)HV wire to pin-out from original cermax xenon leads for Oriel. Gonna be a fun thanksgiving!

BVH

Flashaholic
How are you going to route the new High KV cable from the PS to the HV secondary wires off the output of the OEM ignitor? (or all the way to the lamp itself). Are you going to drill out/eliminate some of the OEM pins on the OEM connector and run the new cables through the holes?

medmike

Newly Enlightened
Gonna blow by the internal igniter straight to lamp (Oriel is old enough model to have igniter in it) . There is descent room from body down thru handle. My thought was HV wire harvested from HDTV from Lamp to inside handle pin (soldered). Then will have outside pin for connection to Oriel wires. The pins for beam adjust are as is with 9v battery to them. Will also harvest 2 pins for fan.
Will try to get pics up soon...any preferred internet PIC service everyone uses?

BVH

Flashaholic
Very high, almost for sure chance that if you just solder the HI KV cable to the connector pins, the hi voltage power will immediately short to adjacent pins or the shell or both. Been there, done that on a larger connector with a full 3/8" between pins, even with silicone insulation put between them. Most likely, you will need to punch two holes through the connector or some where else and run continuous cable runs from PS to the existing HV cables in the light just out of the ignitor. Solder those joints and then use quadruple shrink tube and elect tape for insulation. I think the Cermax lamp needs a minimum of 30 to 35KV so you may want to look on the McMaster-Carr website to buy a few feet of their 40 KV rated, white silicone cable. I've used it with great success. McMaster is a fantastic source for many, many needs and they ship superfast (located with or next to a UPS hub) I sometimes get stuff the next day.

Last edited:

medmike

Newly Enlightened
BVH, Thanks for saving my project !! I'll drill out space thru pin out connector.

Finally some pics..

See the large red and black leads to right of circuit board...they are the bulb leads. Will do as BVH said and direct hv line to them, coming out thru handle some where.

medmike

Newly Enlightened
Another look at lamp housing with leads. Black wire right above leads are the 12vac lines to fan. Will solder to that circuit connection.

medmike

Newly Enlightened
Pin out on handle. F pin is "+" beam switch, large k pin is common ground.
Will re purpose 2 other pins for fan and again, run HV wire out passed pins per BVH's rec's.

BVH

Flashaholic
It's been quite a bit of time since I saw the insides of one of these. Do the red and black wires to the lamp have thick insulation on them? From the pics, they don't look very thick. Have you followed them all the way to the lamp connection to verify there's nothing else in-line to further raise Voltage? It wouldn't make sense and I've never seen anything like that so most likely not but just seeing the wires in the pics makes it look like they are just ordinary insulated wires. Wouldn't hurt to just make sure.

Latest posts