iTP A2, seems like a nice small EDC.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
[.QUOTE=mfm;3319314]hkequipment.net for $22.49 shipped[/QUOTE]

Also hkequipment for £16-99 , but paid on 26-02-10 and still waiting on 18-03-10.

If you are young and not worried about a long delay between paying and receiving the item , then here and DX plus a few other Far East sellers are OK ... You can start to worry if the goods don't arrive after a month or so.

In the UK , we don't have a lot of choice as to where we can buy from ... Even from the USA seems to take ages unless we pay a lot more for a better postal service.

mfm

Enlightened
Also hkequipment for £16-99 , but paid on 26-02-10 and still waiting on 18-03-10.

If you are young and not worried about a long delay between paying and receiving the item , then here and DX plus a few other Far East sellers are OK ... You can start to worry if the goods don't arrive after a month or so.

I ordered an A2 on 28-02-10 (Sunday) and received it on 10-03-10 (or +- one day). Bought an A3 from them on ebay too and got it in less than two weeks after.

Didn't get a "your order has been shipped" mail when ordering directly from the website (unlike when I bought an A3 on ebay) so didn't know if it was shipped (and their "customer service" never replied when I asked about it either). But I got the light a few days later...

Will order again from HK, paying large customs fees as a result from buying from US sellers just isn't going to happen.

Royal Mail sucks btw... Takes longer to get things from UK than from HK or Shenzhen (and I'm in Europe).

LeifUK

Enlightened
Paid 1 March 2010, received 10 March 2010. 3 weeks sounds rather long. Let's hope it arrives soon.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well , at last I have received my torch from hkequipment (20th March) ... According to the postmark , it was posted on 28th February , so it took three weeks to arrive ... I didn't even hear the small envelope drop through the letterbox ... It was so light that the dog didn't even hear it ... This is a distinct advantage in that I can keep my purchase confidential (from Her Indoors)

I looked at the envelope and thought that they had sent an A3 as the bulge in the envelope seemed too small for a single AA torch ... Previous experience of a small AA torch was limited to my (larger) Trustfire F20 EDC.

Anyway , I opened the envelope to find a very well bubble-wrapped box containing the torch ... It was in fact the iTP A2 , though I was not expecting something as small as this even though I knew the measurements.

A quick look at the enclosed instuctions and a few seconds later a Hybrio was inserted and the torch switched on ... It was here that I made a tactical error ... I looked at the beam on low and thought that it was a great level of light for nocturnal bathroom visits ... I then shone the torch under my old desk and went to the medium setting ... Great medium power for normal use ... I turned the torch off then on again to bring up the high power setting ... Somehow the torch had been reversed in my exuberance and full power came on with the "bright end" about nine inches from my face ... It was extremely bright and for a few minutes (it seemed longer) I could see a light coloured blotch wherever I looked and was unable to focus on the job in hand.

Eventually I was able to examine the torch in more detail ... I have to say that it is everything that I could wish for in an everyday torch ... I took the keyring off, as it will be clipped into a pocket rather than used as a keyring accessory ... The clip is quite a strong one and I prefer it to the one on my Trustfire F20 ... The three twisty modes are perfect since I don't like the S-O-S and strobes on my F20 ... I much prefer the fact that the A2 always comes on first in the low level ... Personal preference really.

I am very impressed with the quality of not just the torch but also the care taken by hkequipment in the way that it was packed ... My torches do not get abused and scuffed , so this one should last literally for ever ... The finish seems to be very good and I can't see any flaws or marks externally ... There is no "grittiness" in the operation of the twisty mechanism and the O-ring gives a nice tension to the movement.

All in all , I am delighted with my purchase and cannot see any reason to go for a more expensive single AA torch ... This is my ideal small EDC torch.

The only minor problem that I can see is that I am now considering the purchase of other iTP "A-series" torches.

The even smaller A3 is probably too small , but I wouldn't know unless I actually bought one ... It does have good levels of illumination and quite respectable run times for a AAA torch and I do have a few spare AAA Eneloops in stock.

The A1 is far too dumpy and uses a battery size that I don't already use , but there again it is really bright on the high mode and has good run times particularly on the medium and low settings ... Since I don't have any 123 cells , would I go for the primary or the rechargeables ? ... I do have a Soshine (SC-S1 min) charger that is capable of taking the 123s, but the run times would be lower than with primary cells.

Oh , the decisions that have to be made ... This is starting to sound like my Wife and her Shoes and Handbags (purses) ... Even a caterpillar or a millipede wouldn't need that many pairs of shoes ... So by comparison , I am not overloaded with torches ... I just have to be more discrete (secretive) than herself ... The good thing is that the "A series" will all come through the letterbox without our Westminster Chimes (doorbell) alerting the enemy !

By now , you will have realised that I would recommend the iTP A2 torch.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 weeks sounds rather long. Let's hope it arrives soon.
I've had that happen as well with a different HK based seller (itc_shop).

Package took close to a month to arrive, but it was postmarked they day I purchased it.

Glad you like the A2 March.

I prefer the A2 to the A3 for night time duty because it comes on it low mode.
The A3 comes on in medium mode, so you need to double twist to get it to low mode.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the performance figures of the A1 , the Low (1.8 lumens) is 150 hours , Medium (35 lumens) is 8 hours and the High (190 lumens) is 1.6 hours.

Are these the figures for a primary cell ?

If so , what would the practical figures be when using a rechargeable cell ?

I am trying to make up my mind whether to go for the prettier A3 or the short fat A1 ... My preference is for a "Low > Medium > High" sequence as on my A2 ... The short fat A1 has the right sequence but the A3 is the right form factor.

Decisions , decisions ... I don't really need another torch , but if my Wife can waste money on non-essentials then I can spend wisely on these essentials.

I used to be indecisive but I'm not so certain that I am now.

LeifUK

Enlightened
Well , at last I have received my torch from hkequipment (20th March) ... According to the postmark , it was posted on 28th February , so it took three weeks to arrive ... I didn't even hear the small envelope drop through the letterbox ... It was so light that the dog didn't even hear it ... This is a distinct advantage in that I can keep my purchase confidential (from Her Indoors)

This is starting to sound like my Wife and her Shoes and Handbags (purses) ... Even a caterpillar or a millipede wouldn't need that many pairs of shoes .

:crackup:Marvelous stuff.

Glad to hear you received yours. I am pleased you created this thread, as I might not have bought an A2 otherwise. Mine really is a very nice torch. It is smaller than my dodgy Akoray Ak106, but as bright, and much better built. It really is impressive that this little beast walks over my LED Mini Maglite in terms of brightness, and can burn for two hours on high, and yet is a fraction of the size. Incredible. I can understand why people like those tiny CR123 lights. However, I think I will stick to cheap and very cheerful AA NiMH cells.

Yesterday when in a pub with colleagues, one of them was showing off his LED torch built in to his phone. So I pulled out my A2, and pointed it downwards on high. Several of them were holding their hands up to protect themselves from the beam. Imagine if I had pointed it at them!

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
:crackup:Marvelous stuff.

Glad to hear you received yours. I am pleased you created this thread, as I might not have bought an A2 otherwise. Mine really is a very nice torch. It is smaller than my dodgy Akoray Ak106, but as bright, and much better built. It really is impressive that this little beast walks over my LED Mini Maglite in terms of brightness, and can burn for two hours on high, and yet is a fraction of the size. Incredible. I can understand why people like those tiny CR123 lights. However, I think I will stick to cheap and very cheerful AA NiMH cells.

Yesterday when in a pub with colleagues, one of them was showing off his LED torch built in to his phone. So I pulled out my A2, and pointed it downwards on high. Several of them were holding their hands up to protect themselves from the beam. Imagine if I had pointed it at them!

That made me laugh,two of my customers this week were comparing there Led Lenser headlamps they had just bought,one was a different model and they were white walling them side by side so I switched my ITP A1 on onto high and blasted both away,should have seen there faces considering mine was less than half the price of each Lenser.:D

Squidboy

Newly Enlightened
Quick question about the iTP A2 eos. They only list Alkaline and NI-MH as supported battery types, would L91 lithiums be fine with it ?

I suppose 14500's are an 'at your own risk' option too?

It just one of those things, I dont want to blow up my new toy.

thanks

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the performance figures of the A1 , the Low (1.8 lumens) is 150 hours , Medium (35 lumens) is 8 hours and the High (190 lumens) is 1.6 hours.

Are these the figures for a primary cell ?

If so , what would the practical figures be when using a rechargeable cell ?

I am trying to make up my mind whether to go for the prettier A3 or the short fat A1 ... My preference is for a "Low > Medium > High" sequence as on my A2 ... The short fat A1 has the right sequence but the A3 is the right form factor.

Decisions , decisions ... I don't really need another torch , but if my Wife can waste money on non-essentials then I can spend wisely on these essentials.

I used to be indecisive but I'm not so certain that I am now.
Come on boys ! ... Lets be serious ... Any answers to the above questions ?

Don't force me to buy both the A1 and the A3 when I don't need another torch ... Plus of course there would be a couple of 123 cells of some description ... "To charge or not to charge , that is the question" (apologies to William Shakespeare for cribbing his historic Mark Anthony monologue).

Don't you realise that for this sort of money my Wife could get half a handbag (purse) or possibly a pair of shoes instead ?

Whose side are you going to take ?

cistallus

Enlightened
Yes for the A1 those should be the primary cell figures.

FYI, the A1 and A2 are very close overall to the 4Sevens Quark Mini 123 and AA, respectively, except the Quarks use XP-G vs. the ITP use XP-E.

A Quark Mini 123 with a 16340 cell is somewhere around 250 lumens; the A1 would probably be a bit less. The A2 and A3 are also quite bright on Li-Ion. All of these small lights are not officially recommended for Li-Ion but run fine with them, just don't let them overheat (say, a minute or so on high, unless heat-sinked).

I find the Mini 123 to be a good keyring light; if I didn't have it, I'd use the A1. If my keys didn't almost hit my knee in my car I might have instead an A3 on my keyring (or maybe not, as I also prefer Low first - but the A3 makes a great gift light too esp. since it comes in various colors).

But really should get every light mentioned - after all, you must keep up with your wife! :thumbsup:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question about the iTP A2 eos. They only list Alkaline and NI-MH as supported battery types, would L91 lithiums be fine with it ?
I use L91 lithium cells in mine, no problems.

I suppose 14500's are an 'at your own risk' option too?
14500's would definitely be 'at your own risk'.

I think the chances of making the driver go :poof: are pretty good with a 14500.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that you have to be fairly quick when changing modes on the A2 ... It seems to be a very short two seconds window of opportunity ... But I love the torch ... Still can't believe that it is so small.

Many thanks cistallus for answering my A1 battery question ... I also need to know the run times with the rechargeables ... Perhaps just a matter of dividing the primary ampere-hour capacity by the rechargeable capacity and multiplying the primary run-times by this ... This would give a very short run time on the high (190 lumens) as it is only 1.6 hours on primaries ... Is it worth getting an A1 with such a short "high" time ?

Very disappointed that nobody noticed my deliberate mistake of the modified version of the soliloquy from Hamlet (Act 3 , scene 1) ... "To charge or not to charge , that is the question".

I will have to have another think about the A1 and A3 ... I might even just get another A2 instead.

Many Thanks to you all for your assistance in my decision making (I think) ... I really like the stainless and the titanium iTPs , but price is much higher ... UK customs only allow us to buy items up to £18 ... above that there are taxes and VAT taxes and a customs collection fee to pay to the Post Office ... Unfortunately this can double the price of the torch ... We are allowed to receive gifts to the value of £36 before we have to pay the duty.

Perhaps one day we will be able to buy items at above these antiquated allowances ... It really does cramp our purchasing powers.

mfm

Enlightened
I think the chances of making the driver go :poof: are pretty good with a 14500.
It's supposed to have the same driver as the A1, so the electronics should be OK.

Many thanks cistallus for answering my A1 battery question ... I also need to know the run times with the rechargeables ...

Should be less than half the runtime with RCR123A, but the A1 will probably overheat if you run it on high until the battery runs out anyway. It's not totally without reason that the Q Mini 123 is not recommended for use with RCR123A, and it's almost the same light.

BTW, most HK shops have no problem writing exactly what you want on the customs declaration label.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: iTP A2, seems like a nice small EDC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Rose

It's supposed to have the same driver as the A1, so the electronics should be OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by march.brown
Many thanks cistallus for answering my A1 battery question ... I also need to know the run times with the rechargeables ...

Should be less than half the runtime with RCR123A, but the A1 will probably overheat if you run it on high until the battery runs out anyway. It's not totally without reason that the Q Mini 123 is not recommended for use with RCR123A, and it's almost the same light.

BTW, most HK shops have no problem writing exactly what you want on the customs declaration label.
Well , it is looking as though the A1 with rechargeables is a no-go ... I wasn't keen on the form factor anyway (short and dumpy) ... So I might go with the A3 (maybe) , but it has the wrong sequence of medium , low , high ... It certainly looks as though the A2 is the pick of the bunch.

I would also consider another A2 , maybe the stainless one ...

decisions , decisions.

oronocova

Enlightened
I'd say go for the A1. I just got mine in the mail yesterday. L and M look about the same as the A2 and A3. H is definitely brighter. I really like the size, it's not overly short or squat.

oronocova

Enlightened
Primaries here. Only rechargeable I have in that size are AW IMRs.... I don't think cells of that voltage are supported in the A1 though.

It's all personal prefrence but for pocket carry I think the A1 and A3 are a better size than the A2. On my A3 and A2 I have ground off the lug and replaced it with a magnet which is very handy. On the A1 I think I am going to leave the lug just in case for now.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well , after much deliberation , I have made my decision.

The A1 is out because I don't like the form factor ... I think it looks too dumpy ... Reminds me of one of my earlier Wives ... It also uses cells that I don't already use and don't particularly like ... If I want a brighter light , I will use one of my (18650) Solarforces (L2 and L2i) as they are still capable of fitting into a pocket especially with a small bezel fitted.

The A3 is out because I prefer the Low , Medium , High of the A2 ... I like the fact that the low comes on first on the A2 ... You can read the program during a concert etc without cycling through the Medium first ... Just personal preference really ... The A3 is petite and slim and you guessed it ... It looks like another of my earlier Wives ... I could still be tempted to get an A3 for my Wife to carry though , particularly a pretty coloured one.

The A2 is IN because I already have one and I like everything about it ... It is also slim and just the right thickness ... The form factor is perfect for me ... It is so good that I have ordered another from Shining Beam ... I am going for a Stainless A2 this time , just to be a bit different to my other A2 ... From the pictures that I have seen , it looks very classy ... You guessed it ... It looks like this Wife.

From the above you will understand why my torches are at the lower end of the price range ... This will be my most expensive yet at £25-64 including postage, but I'm sure it will be worth it..

In America there is a word "Allimony" ... In the UK it is spelled "Allyourmoney" though it means much the same I suppose.

I don't know how long the torch will take to arrive , but I am really looking forward to getting it.

I can relax now that I have made the decision ... Till the next time , I suppose.

cistallus

Enlightened
... The A1 is out because I don't like the form factor ... I think it looks too dumpy ... Reminds me of one of my earlier Wives ...
:crackup:
... If I want a brighter light , I will use one of my (18650) Solarforces (L2 and L2i) ...
You could also just use a 14500 in the A2, as long as you don't need to leave it on high a long time at each use - it will be quite bright.
... In America there is a word "Allimony" ... In the UK it is spelled "Allyourmoney" though it means much the same I suppose. ...
Yep. Perhaps you mention this because unlike your careful CPF light research, in the past you didn't research on WifeForums as carefully? :grin2::broke: