iTP A3 EOS - Your long term good/bad experience

MikeWilson

Newly Enlightened
My wife had an iTP EOS A3 for over a year. Loved it - it survived over a year on her car keychain until one day the emitted stopped working. I tried the head on my Maratac AAA body (it's pretty much the same light but with three modes) and it didn't work. She's now got the Maratac AAA, but I'd rather she had the iTP A3 since it only had one mode 'high' as I'm not sure that she really 'gets' having to twist the light on and off to change modes.

Danjojo

Newly Enlightened
I don't know...just about everybody I know has had one or more $5-$10 lights that work for years. I think people are too easy on these companies who put out junk products and think it's ok because they cram power into a small size or have 20 modes inside. If they are not reliable the other stuff doesn't matter. When I was in Iraq 2003 and 2004-05 just about everybody had white and red Photon keychain lights, always under $10 and always survived forever in the extreme heat, cold, smothering in sand, being banged around by other gear, etc.

The number of companies charging $20-$100 for flashlight models that are hit or miss and require hope to last a year or two is just ridiculous.

cbthedookie

Newly Enlightened
Interesting updates. I bought two of these for my wife to use when she travels - she asked for the second when she realized how handy the first one was to have in her purse, so she now carries one in her laptop bag as well. They are going great, but less than two months, so I'll be interested to see how they go long term. I just purchased a illuminaTi (the ironic aluminum version) for myself (which I understand to be a mechanical clone of the itp); however, it feels much higher quality in hand. It'll be interesting to see if it holds up any better than the itp lights.

I've got three more itp A3s, and 3 Fenix e01s that I'm giving as gifts this year - perhaps this time next year I can ring in with a "progress report"...

fishx65

Enlightened
Both of my SS Maratacs have been perfect for 2 years so far. I just run NiMh in them.

kreisler

Banned
andreas (cpf-user from norway) published a youtube video in which he addresses potential issues with the light (spring, resoldering wire, a.o.). if one is past the 2 years of warranty he suggests to take the light apart .. because the LED emitter itself should not be dead (rated 100,000 hours of lifetime and shock-resistant):

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a black ITP-A2 and a stainless ITP-A2 , also a titanium A3 and a stainless A3 , also a black A1 ... They are only about 21 months old , so I can't say what they are like long-term.

My A3's are attatched to my two keyrings and are carried in my trouser pockets along with my coins etc and an A2 is always in my jacket inside pocket every day ... The A1 is a bedside torch ... Each of my ITP torches is a three mode and has never caused any trouble and they are all run on Eneloops other than the A1 which is on a Li-Ion.

The A1 stutters occasionally and changes more than one mode which means that it needs to be cleaned ... It then works properly ... The ITP-A3's and A2's very rarely get a clean unless I change the battery , so have only been cleaned two or three times in the 21 months of ownership ... The batteries seem to last many months before they need to be changed ...

All in all , my ITP's are as good as it gets when reliability is considered ... I wouldn't personally consider any other make for EDC.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
A3 Stainless Steel has been on my wife's keys for over a year and and still works flawlessly using an Energizer Lithium cell.

Hidebo

Newly Enlightened
Is there any way to clean the glass from inside, because mine got fogged a bit?
I use this for 22 months.
itpa3eosti0.jpg

AutoTech

Enlightened
Mine's been on my keys for about 14 months and the split ring hole in the end is getting very thin, probably be worn right through in about 6 months or so. Be a shame when it does break through. Had a 10440 in mine the whole time, it's crazy bright and occasionally I still find myself testing it out at 5 in the morning against my trees when I leave for work.

I'll replace mine with an Olight i3 when it does wear through. I bought my mrs an i3 and the split ring attachment point is much more solid.

Last edited:

KuRUpTD

Newly Enlightened
The threading on the head went bad and now it won't stay on ... other than that it's been a great little light.

I just received a ThruNite Ti which is replacing it.

awyeah

Enlightened
I bought upgraded versions of these for my dad, my girlfriend, and her dad. They're all working very well, but they're fairly light use.

druidmars

Enlightened
I bought 1 and then 3 more ITP A3 EOS: for my wife, then mom, dad and sis. They are powered with alkaline batteries. The oldest one is still working. However, from the lot of three, only one is working. They died after a few months (approx 6months)

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought 1 and then 3 more ITP A3 EOS: for my wife, then mom, dad and sis. They are powered with alkaline batteries. The oldest one is still working. However, from the lot of three, only one is working. They died after a few months (approx 6months)

Same here, gave 3 as gifts, 2 were used on keychains and have died from drops.
The one that still lives is hibernating in a purse.

nanucq

Newly Enlightened
Bought 2 of them last year, both used on keychains and they still do the job pretty well.

Muse

Newly Enlightened
andreas (cpf-user from norway) published a youtube video in which he addresses potential issues with the light (spring, resoldering wire, a.o.). if one is past the 2 years of warranty he suggests to take the light apart .. because the LED emitter itself should not be dead (rated 100,000 hours of lifetime and shock-resistant):

When I try to run this video all I get on screen is "This video is private" ... WTF, how stupid is that? That's after a few minutes and the time counter says 0:00. In Greek, there's no word for "privacy," I'm told. I have to think that's very sensible!

I ordered my ITP A3 EOS Upgraded yesterday, anticipate it will be one of my favorite gadgets ever -- currently I have flashlights all over the house, probably around 20! This baby will stay in my pocket. I expect I will have good luck with it, I tend to with my gadgets, etc. I will use it with Eneloops.

Last edited: