iTP A6 Polestar thread

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked mine up from the post office, and I am very impressed! The only thing is it makes a weird noise when in the high setting. It's a high pitch frequency noise. Is this normal?

madmook

Newly Enlightened
Yes, mine also does that on high mode, but not on low or medium. Oh well, that's electronics for ya.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, mine also does that on high mode, but not on low or medium. Oh well, that's electronics for ya.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'm surprised that no one mentioned this anywhere in this thread. It's pretty loud, don't you think? It's not a deal breaker or anything, but it is a little annoying. Mostly because my dog HATES it!

apontes

Newly Enlightened
What issues?

Forgetting the battery carrier, we're still left with the cheap head contact, sticky button some people complained about, and the annoying anavoidable strobe. Glued battery tube is a slight annoyance, also.

"...feels more reliable." Huh? Explain please,

Apart from the issues above, the TK40 feels more solid, better built and better thought out.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only possible 'issue' in your list is the mention of sticky buttons but I searched and cannot find these posts about sticky switches.

Otherwise:
-I don't see the problem with the head contact. No complaints of them not working, failing or otherwise causing any problems.
-Your personal preference for not liking strobe is not an 'issue.'
-A glued battery tube is not an 'issue.'

The TK40 of course also has 'issues' that can be nitpicked so, 'better thought out,' is quite debatable.
The TK40 also costs nearly twice as much as an A6 and the A6 has a side switch which, IMO, makes much more sense for this type of light.
The A6 is also substantially smaller.

Last edited:

Photar

Newly Enlightened
One thing that bugs me though is the strobe mode.

There's a way to get around that. Loosen the tail cap while the light is on and it'll reset to first level brightness. Don't turn it off and then loosen the tail cap or you'll have to wait a while for it to forget its last setting (mine doesn't have permanent memory).

I have also noticed that every now and then it doesn't recognize a click. I'm not sure if that is me or the flashlight, but it's not a huge issue.

It's definitely not you, it's the switch design. I could return it if I wanted to, but it's a hassle and it's only sometimes that it does it. I usually turn it on and keep it on until the batteries are flat so that's why it's not a big deal for me.

The only thing is it makes a weird noise when in the high setting. It's a high pitch frequency noise. Is this normal? It's not a deal breaker or anything, but it is a little annoying. Mostly because my dog HATES it!

I just turned mine on with fresh eneloop's and cannot hear anything on the highest setting. I would return it if it made an annoying sound - I had an LCD monitor that emitted a very annoying whine and it's not nice at all. Your dog has superior hearing so it's probably 10 times worse!

If anyone is serious about getting this flashlight, be aware it does have its issues (see my previous post). Only get it if you're on a tight budget. I would otherwise recommend the TK40 - better build, better mode selection (avoid strobe settings if you don't need it), better battery options (4 or 8 - lasts for ages with four 2700mAh rated NiMH batteries on level 2 brightness).

iTP really shouldn't have incorporated the strobe mode into this flashlight. Instead, they should have had another brightness level like the TK40. It's not recommended (my opinion not iTP's) that you run any of these flashlights for a long time on their highest setting because they get too hot and can potentially cause damage. What's with strobe mode anyway? Most people don't use it - leave it out or design it in such a way that it can be bypassed like the TK40!

Last edited:

mxrider32

Newly Enlightened
My polestar doesn't make any noise on high either. There is a faint whine on low mode but you have to put it to your ear to hear it.

Photar, thanks for the info.

apontes

Newly Enlightened
My, this is gonna be one long post...

The only possible 'issue' in your list is the mention of sticky buttons but I searched and cannot find these posts about sticky switches.

Seek no further:
I think mine has a goofy switch. It's gotten better now that I have pressed it On & Off 50 times, but I still will hit a CLick that either doesn't turn it Off, or doesn't turn it On.
Mine is taking a long time to change modes, at least 10 seconds, and sometimes up to 20 seconds. Beyond 20 seconds I chalk it up to the possible goofy switch and try again.

-I don't see the problem with the head contact. No complaints of them not working, failing or otherwise causing any problems.

So all the contact issues can be attributed to the battery carrier alone? By the pictures, the top and bottom contact plates are the same.
I definitely do not have the old style carrier. Mine has clear plastic throughout, wherever plastic is used.

So now I'm thinking that when I shake it violently, the carrier's positive dimple is losing contact with the tab down near the flashlight's head. That tab looks kind of flattened down; I wonder if my shaking bent it downward. I could try to pull it up, but for now, I'll leave it alone since the light works well otherwise.

... and
I do not associate the battery connection at the head with good quality.

Forget the battery carrier. Although not as tough as the TK40's, its by no means flimsy. The batteries fit quite snugly. Worse part, quality-wise, is the head contact. Screams "cheap"!!! :thumbsdow

I agree 100% - that was our first comment to iTp about the light.

... and
Believe or not, I have tested 29 A6 lights in order to pick out 6 of them. And for the 6 that I shipped out, each one has been tested 3 times. Tests invloving shaking the light violently, tapping the light at the bottom and insert and remove the holder few times. In conclusion, A6's first batch battery holders' quality are quite bad.

-Your personal preference for not liking strobe is not an 'issue.'

True, but with the way the UI is, you have to press the button for 2 seconds to get to the next level. So between getting to strobe, releasing the button and pressing it again, you easily get 5 seconds of annoying, anavoidable strobe, differently from other lights with a reverse clicky, for example.
And it _is_ an issue to other people besides me:
Strobe is un-necessary and annoying to have to pass through when going from high to low. Why put strobe on a non-tactical flashlight?

... and
Extremely annoying and utterly useless strobe mode (somehow I hate it worse than the TK40s strobe mode) which you must cycle through to get to the other modes.

-A glued battery tube is not an 'issue.'

My exact words were: "Glued battery tube is a slight annoyance, also."

The TK40 also costs nearly twice as much as an A6 and the A6 has a side switch which, IMO, makes much more sense for this type of light.
The A6 is also substantially smaller.

Couldn't agree more.

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
I just picked mine up from the post office, and I am very impressed! The only thing is it makes a weird noise when in the high setting. It's a high pitch frequency noise. Is this normal?
Its not normal, I just went though several A6's, no noise at all, all work perfectly. Some of you CPFers were starting to make me paranoid :grin2:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its not normal, I just went though several A6's, no noise at all, all work perfectly. Some of you CPFers were starting to make me paranoid :grin2:

Alright, mines going back.

I was actually surprised that the first person who replied to my message said that his did the same thing. I figured that this wasn't normal, because I think most people would not be ok with a flashlight that made a noise this loud.

Thanks for all the replies.

madmook

Newly Enlightened
I was actually surprised that the first person who replied to my message said that his did the same thing. I figured that this wasn't normal, because I think most people would not be ok with a flashlight that made a noise this loud.
Well I would be more satisfied with the light if it didn't emit that high-pitched whine on high mode, but its not a dealbreaker for me and not worth the hassle of returning/exchanging it. During normal use I wouldn't be holding the light right up near my ears anyways. I don't think its a defect of the light, just a result of the electronics inside it.

But since your situation includes your dog, I would definitely look to get the light exchanged with a unit that doesn't emit that sound on high.

biggerdog

Newly Enlightened
It might be instructive to include one's age in any post that addresses the high-pitched noise. It's well known that one's ability to hear high frequencies declines with age.

HKJ

Flashaholic
So all the contact issues can be attributed to the battery carrier alone? By the pictures, the top and bottom contact plates are the same.

... and

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKJ
I do not associate the battery connection at the head with good quality.

The fact that I believe this connection to be cheaply manufactured, does not make it an issue.

For me it looks like the A6 is designed as a low cost MC-E light, that runs on common batteries and it is probably the best MC-E light you can get for the money (for non flashaholic). The TK40 is designed a different way and for another price point.

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be instructive to include one's age in any post that addresses the high-pitched noise. It's well known that one's ability to hear high frequencies declines with age.

I'm 26 as is my wife (who also heard it loud and clear), but I would imagine that damn near everyone would be able to hear this noise.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
apontes

The A6 is a mass manufactured product. As with ALL mass manufactured products a unit with a problem will be shipped now and then - that's one post about a bad switch. Even if you'd posted 3 posts that would still be out of thousands of units shipped - statistically irrelevant. My company sells nearly every major brand of premium lighting - EVERY FACTORY ships duds now and then. Occasional duds do not an issue make.

So if one shakes the A6 violently it can break contact for a microsecond. What applicability to real world usage exists here? A half a pound of AA batteries and carrier being slammed up and down has some mass to it.

So the head contact isn't artful - it's also not an issue since it doesn't seem to not work correctly for anyone.

Strobe: Personally I only want strobing on tactical lights but the market speaks and the market overwhelmingly wants a strobe mode available. Lots of folks like strobing as an attention egtter for emergencies, dog walking, street crossing and general 'hey here I am' type stuff.

apontes

Newly Enlightened
Matt,

I'm not trying to bash the Polestar. In fact, I have one, purchased in preorder. I like it, find it very useful and intend to keep it for a long time.

I also think it is in a class of its own, being powered by AAs and priced as it is.

But some people had wild expectations - completely unjustified, imo: if you checked the pictures and the released specs, there would be no mistaking it for a thrower, for example.

I have nothing against "disco modes" either. A blinking/signaling mode has its uses. But in the case of the Polestar, the combination of strobe + relatively long time to switch through is really annoying. I got a lot of flak from my wife before I started to cover the reflector with my hand before strobe.

The great thing about forums like this is you can get to know details about a product that you would otherwise only get after maybe weeks of use. And through different opinions, make an informed decision about your purchase.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's all good - I just have issues when people say a product has 'issues' because here on CPF that sort of statement has a tendency to snowball.

Shur

Newly Enlightened
True, but with the way the UI is, you have to press the button for 2 seconds to get to the next level. So between getting to strobe, releasing the button and pressing it again, you easily get 5 seconds of annoying, anavoidable strobe, differently from other lights with a reverse clicky, for example.

You can cut that time down by not releasing the button when you want to change modes.
Press it and hold it in and the light will change modes every 2 seconds. Release when you are at the mode you want.

travelinman

Enlightened
What's with strobe mode anyway? Most people don't use it - leave it out or design it in such a way that it can be bypassed like the TK40!

Since you are fairly new you should do a search for "strobe mode". All the arguments both for and against strobes have been posted multiple times. This is not the place to bring the argument up again.

Latest posts