ITP C9 Review - 1xCR123A/RCR - BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES, RAMPING, etc.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't contact me. I sold mine and forgot how it comes apart. :) Try nanotech17, I think he still has his.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today. This is a really cool little flashlight. Wide and very easy adjustability. Looking forward to after dark tonite! Thank you selfbuilt, for the great review, which prompted me to add this light to my collection.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
And a thank you to you too Alfred for suggesting this light to me.

I at least do want to get the tactical tail, as it would be much quicker to activate by thumb. Oh, now I see I can't buy a C9 tactical tail. :mecry: I should have bought the C9 Tactical and added the regular C9 tail to it. Oh well.... I'll ask Bryan if he can help.

Yes the C7 tube is a very good idea too!

Thx!

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought all the tubes and one tailcap......makes for more battery configurations. Yes as you know the tailcaps are not interchangeable but remember that if you do trade yours in to go with a T light then you will loose strobe and sos as well.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yes as you know the tailcaps are not interchangeable but remember that if you do trade yours in to go with a T light then you will loose strobe and sos as well.
A good point - the protruding forward clicky tailcap is only meant to be used with the the Tactical head (i.e. with no strobe or SOS modes). The standard reverse clicky is meant for the Regular head, since you flash to get into strobe/SOS modes. Mixing the other clicky format may lead to inconsistent operation (especially on the Regular head).

You can also check out my C7 and C8 reviews for more info (links in my master list of reviews in my sig).

travelinman

Enlightened
Did I miss it here, or does anyone know the ma. draw on high vs low with an rcr123 cell in this light? I'm getting crummy run time with my protected rcr123's, around 20 min on high. Not so with the AA's though, much much better, more like closer to 2 hrs.

travelinman

Enlightened
I'm using the Delkin RCR123A 3.0v protected. They are protected because I borrowed our local ham radio club West Mountain Radio CBA II just yesterday and the first two I checked had a sudden "end" at just under 2v. They also only gave me just over 270ma. Not so good!

Here's the battery.

http://thomasdistributing.com/shop/...html?SP_id=&osCsid=g94mbi13slk2vk3c2mk3sv9qg4

edit: I'm also using the supplied Delkin devices charger. Not much info on it, green light, red light. I'm going to set up a couple of probes to see what kind of voltage and current it's pushing into the cell tomorrow when I get some more time.

Last edited:

travelinman

Enlightened
I suppose so. When I consider I am rarely on full power, especially when using it as a night time "finding the bathroom" light, low power is lots. I accidently left it on full power the other night and just about blinded myself turning it on.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the lights that i edc i use rechargeables whenever i can, i save the primaries for power outages, and i also keep one or two primaries in the car when the rechargeables die.

travelinman

Enlightened
That sounds like a good plan, one day I'm going to buy some of the AW RCR123's and the 139 charger. I'll see how they compare with the cheap little Delkins.

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened
Re: ITP C9 Review: BEAMSHOTS, RUNTIMES, RAMPING, etc.

Reserved for updates. :)

My vote on the stobe speed is zero. Leave it out. Otherwise I think the one you mentioned is disoreinting enough to use if one "ever" has to.

Thanks for the review. I just ordered one. :twothumbs

Of course this review is very old so I suppose my net input is worth zero. :shakehead

Daniel AKA nativecajun

Last edited:

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened

My Light came in yesterday and I must say I am impressed. C9 regular that is.

Solid to the bone, and as you said very simple to set I do not see how one could make it easier. I did not look at the low setting and what lumens but I am sure you stated it above. That is the setting it will probably stay at for me unless I have to go and search for a lost pathfinder or something. Pathfinders = club in my church like Boysouts/Girlscouts.

Again beautiful light. And when you turn it on in low or the way you have yours set and just tap the switch it strobes, then the other modes as you continuisly tap it keeps going in a loop untill you come back to the mode you have it set at. As well as turning it off for five seconds it comes back to your setting. Oh I forgot selfbuilt just said all that. :oops:
I have now learned that five seconds is way long and a realy big bother.

Excelent Review Selfbuilt. I don't know how you do it must take a lot of time and I very much appreciate your efforts.

Daniel AKA nativecajun

Last edited:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice.....glad you like it man. Now you must get the corresponding body tubes so you can use different batt configs like 1AA, 2AA, and of course 16340.

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened
:popcorn: Need some clarification on the memory. Does the light come back on at the last setting?

I know this is a very old thread. But I hope someone is listening. Five seconds after turned off is way way to long if you want to turn the light back on to your light setting.

And to the person that asked this question above. It does come on back to the last setting. That is because it has only one setting at a time. Virtually a single mode light as far as the flashlight part. That mode being the one you set last. Both of these issues bother me now that I have owned it for a while. But I now have a myshondt aeon and other cr123 lights superior to this model.

This is a very well made light. I like the feel and the way you can change battery types with an optional battery tube. But the five second thing is way to long. But still I would like it way better if the wait time would be shorter. Single mode does not bother me as much at the wait.

Kind Regards,
Daniel

PS: Does anyone know if that five second wait before turning back on to plain light mode can be changed somehow?

Last edited: