It's my birthday...

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I'm going to get myself a new light. Haven't bought one since my last birthday (Fenix E50) and was looking to get something that's different from what I've already got. Which will be a challenge because I've got a lot of EDC lights in all form factors and a few larger throwy lights.

I don't yet own a single 18650 XM-L light or anything with over 100k lux. Budget is $200. Have at it guys!

*edit* looking hard at the Armytek Barracuda. Anyone own one? Is it worth the cash for all that lux? Comes in warm too (4,000k) which could be interesting. Selfbuilt's review gave it the thumbs up.

Last edited:

Targaryen

Newly Enlightened
I just want to greet you a Wonderful Birthday!
You know more about torches than me but.. as youre looking for someting different to what you already have, what about getting one of those modded ones? They will be a a lot different to the usual offerings in the shop and what you have isnt it?
Have a good one.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the well wishes Targaryen.

Well folks, it's come down to a two way race between the Armytek Barracuda or the Olight M3X. The Barracuda has approximately 10% more thow, but the M3X has much more spill. Either light will throw at least 40-50% further than any light I currently own, so it's pretty much down to the UI, and any feedback I may or may not receive from CPF'ers.

Cheers,

Jash.

Gooby

Newly Enlightened
Is there a reason you need to have throw? I wanted throw at first too, but realized that throw is pretty useless FOR ME because I don't ever need to look at something far away. However, I don't know you or your uses. Honestly, I would get the Zebralight SC600W because I just think it's the best 18650 light on the market. It is really bright and is more of a flood light though.

Anyways, I would suggest neutral white because I don't think cool has any benefits over neutral other than being brighter, but the neutral tint has many other benefits that outshine the single benefit of the cool white. Just my thoughts.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work with a kids adventure group and need a bright, throwy light for certain night activities. I've been using my TK41, which has the throw, but I'm after something a little more holster friendly so I can stash it within easy reach when hiking.

I asked Vinh about modding my TK41 to a neutral XM-L2, but the cost of the mod plus shipping is almost the price of a new light. So I'm pretty much set on getting a good throwing 2x18650 light instead. I'm really after a thinner bodied light more than anything. Would have been great if the TK41 had a 2x18650 version like the TK30 was to the TK40.

*edit* kj2 said his Barracuda's cool white is perfect white. Think I'll take a chance on that.

Last edited: