Jaxman E2 measurements (Nichia 219B, bargain high CRI 18650)

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have only a small collection of lights, but I just tested my Thrunite TN12 2014, Olight S1, Fenix E12 and Zebralight SC5w for a few minutes each and I'm fine.
I'm guessing maybe its the way the PWM is on this light that affects me? As soon as I try again, my eyes just get fatigued quickly and I got headachy again..

Haha..oh well... Its only me though.. Otherwise I love the tint on the Jaxman!

Yep, its probably the PWM. None of your other lights have any PWM(the SC5w has a bit of a pulsed current too though but, maybe not as bad). PWM/pulsed is basically like staring a very fast strobe light the whole time you use it. Its a poor way to regulate a flashlight and causes discomfort to many users including myself.

Last edited:

darkangel55555

Newly Enlightened
Fantastic review, maukka. Extremely thorough, and the information provided here led me to buy one (pun unintended), and subsequently a Convoy for the tailcap.

Thanks for your continuing work in expanding the knowledge of the community!

D6859

Enlightened
Thank you for the review Maukka!

My friend got us the 5700K versions, but it was too cool for our taste. I ordered the 4000K versions and gave the 5700K version for another friend. I really like the warm tint and HI CRI combination! I got mine from Fasttech for ~13€.

Wendee

Enlightened
[...]My L3 Illumination's L11C with Nichia 219B at 4500k looks dirty and orange in comparison, and doesn't differentiate greens from browns as well as the Jaxman E2, and flesh tones look more copper-tanned than pinky-flesh as it would under the sun.[...]

I received my 5700k E2 today and I agree! I really can't believe it. I bought a second L11C because I liked it so much (and a second Lumintop with Nichia) . I always preferred the L11C over my other lights (both NW and CW) but I like the E2 even better. I'm actually shocked, I never thought that would happen :eek:oo:

I have four other Nichia 219B lights but when comparing them to the E2 the difference is like night and day. Especially shining on an orange HomeDepot bucket next to a red gas can (in the garage). With the other Nichia lights the colors don't look that different from each other (orange from red) but with the E2, "wow"! Really unbelievable! I thought my L11C was the "best" color rendition I would ever find (until today). Is it just because the E2 has a cooler (pure white) tint, maybe? Would the other E2 with the 4000k LED still be better than my L11C or are they the same LED? I should research this, I guess.:thinking:

I think for middle of the night navigation (when I'm half asleep) the more mellow "yellow" tint of my L11C might be easier on my eyes than the brilliant white E2 but other than that, I think I would use the E2 more. Oh, and of course the L11C has firefly and moonlight mode.

I don't have a Nichia 219C flashlight yet (I think they're around 5000k?). Does anyone have both the Jaxman E2 5700k and a Nichia 219C flashlight? If so, is the 219C as nice?

Are there any other flashlights with the same LED as the E2 (Nichia 219B 5700k)?

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might be partly to do with the LEd in the Jaxman, the 4000k version might be great as well. On the other hand, I think it's because it's closer to a sunlight type white and is magenta tinted, making it the pinkish light I've seen (in a good way), which would romanticize anything wood, dirt, or skin.

I have a Manker S41 using 4 219Bs at 5000k and 90+ CRI, but I don't like the tint as much as the warmer 4500k 219B or my Jaxman E2, because the tint is on the greener side of things.

For night accustomed eyes, I can see the 4500k being really good at low output levels, as the Jaxman might look a little cool in comparison at lower outputs, but it is quite easy to get accustomed to it, and the eyes white balance to it rather quickly.

Wendee

Enlightened
Might be partly to do with the LEd in the Jaxman, the 4000k version might be great as well. On the other hand, I think it's because it's closer to a sunlight type white and is magenta tinted, making it the pinkish light I've seen (in a good way), which would romanticize anything wood, dirt, or skin.

I have a Manker S41 using 4 219Bs at 5000k and 90+ CRI, but I don't like the tint as much as the warmer 4500k 219B or my Jaxman E2, because the tint is on the greener side of things.

For night accustomed eyes, I can see the 4500k being really good at low output levels, as the Jaxman might look a little cool in comparison at lower outputs, but it is quite easy to get accustomed to it, and the eyes white balance to it rather quickly.

I just checked GearBest and they no longer have the 4000k version in stock. :(

Yes, I've seen the Manker S41 thread and between the green tint and the QC issues I read about, I think I'll pass on that light.

Funny that I'm more excited about this $14.00 Jaxman E2 than I am about more expensive lights I've received recently. It's the only flashlight I have where I have that "sunlight in my hand" feeling. If the 5000k Nichia 219C is like this, I'll save up for the triple 219C light I've seen. Before today, I thought a triple 219B 4500k would be the best.

Yes, I could probably get used to the cooler tint with dark adapted eyes (when half asleep). I wish the E2 had a firefly mode so I could test that theory. Oh well. The only thing that bothers me on this light is having to cycle through the disco modes. For the beautiful light the E2 puts out, it's worth having to cycle through them but I still wish they weren't there.

I think I have a new favourite light, assuming the PWM doesn't affect me negatively (so far so good). No firefly or moonlight, no memory, 350 lumens max using 18650 battery, disco modes aren't hidden, PWM, yet I absolutely love this flashlight! I must be a "tint snob" (I think that's the definition?).

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might consider going over to mountain electronics and buying the moonlight special driver. It should be exactly what you are looking for. There are tons of preset options for mode and brightness groups or you can have Richard set custom brightness levels. Or you can get it with the BLF A6 firmware which is even more powerful with hidden strobes battery check level mode bike mode turbo etc. just have him remove 3 7135 chips as 2amps is about what a 219b is good for.

It it should be really simple to swap drivers as it is held in with just a retaining ring and you only need to unsolder 2 wires and solder them back or the new driver, screw the retaining ring back on and you're done. Plus modding your own lights is fun. :)

evgeniy

Newly Enlightened
I received 2 Jaxman E2 and measure color temp., (by RAW shots + Photoshop).

Jaxman E2 warm/newtral "4000K" (max. mode) : 4050 auto , 3950-4050 (manual)
Jaxman E2 daylight/cold "5700K" (max. mode) : 5600 auto , 5550-5650 (manual)
Zebralight H600FC (max. mode) : 3850-3900 auto , 3800-3090 (manual).

Conclusion: 4000-4050K and 5600К,
Warm white Jaxman E2 works well in tandem with Zebralight H600FC.
Unfortunately, I can't test now, how works daylight/cold Jaxman E2 in tandem with H600FD, but will be continue few weeks later.

Wendee

Enlightened
I received 2 Jaxman E2 and measure color temp., (by RAW shots + Photoshop).

Jaxman E2 warm/newtral "4000K" (max. mode) : 4050 auto , 3950-4050 (manual)
Jaxman E2 daylight/cold "5700K" (max. mode) : 5600 auto , 5550-5650 (manual)
Zebralight H600FC (max. mode) : 3850-3900 auto , 3800-3090 (manual).

Conclusion: 4000-4050K and 5600К,
Warm white Jaxman E2 works well in tandem with Zebralight H600FC.
Unfortunately, I can't test now, how works daylight/cold Jaxman E2 in tandem with H600FD, but will be continue few weeks later.

Really? I have a ZL H603C (4000k, hi CRI mule). I imagine it would work well with the 4000k Jaxman.

I have the 5700k jaxman E2 and I don't think it would work well with my headlamp. I think the headlamp would make the jaxman look very cold and the jaxman would make the headlamp look too warm. I'll check GearBest again to see if they have the 4000k Jaxman back in stock yet.

I do have a 4000k BLF A6 coming in the mail. It would work well with my 4000k headlamp but it's not hi CRI. :mecry:

dubliftment

Newly Enlightened
I put a moonlight special driver from mountain electronics into the jaxman and this made it a very versatile, well usable flashlight. thanks, Richard.

maukka

Enlightened
That's a good mod, since the stock driver with its blinkies is annoying. I read that you can order the light from Jaxman's Aliexpress store without them though.

dubliftment

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I also read that AFTER the ordering... Nevertheless I would have gone with the Moonlight Special Driver anyway, because it has a real low moonlight mode which is so low that it compares with the lowest or second lowest mode of some Zebralight (like 0,03-0,05 Lumens). It is really nice for night adopted eyes. second, I have a battery indicator and a bike mode (well hidden, though) and 5 well spaced modes for general use. Better than the 3-mode-setting that fasttech is offering as an alternative.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a moonlight special driver from mountain electronics into the jaxman and this made it a very versatile, well usable flashlight. thanks, Richard.
This does sound interesting, I hate the stock driver. I'm not going to EDC this light though, I only bought it for the LEDs for specific uses so I might live with it.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased and received this light recently just to see what Nichia 5700 high CRI was all about.

To be 100% honest the 5700 is just a bit to cool color temp for me. I guess I enjoy warmer temps these days.

I would not classify this as necessary c/w, just cooler than what appeals to me anymore.

This was my first Nichia purchase. Wonder what cheap Nichia light I can buy next? Want to purchase some cheapies before taking the plunge and committing to a HDS or something similar and not loving the tint.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased and received this light recently just to see what Nichia 5700 high CRI was all about.

To be 100% honest the 5700 is just a bit to cool color temp for me. I guess I enjoy warmer temps these days.

I would not classify this as necessary c/w, just cooler than what appeals to me anymore.

This was my first Nichia purchase. Wonder what cheap Nichia light I can buy next? Want to purchase some cheapies before taking the plunge and committing to a HDS or something similar and not loving the tint.

Verdict? I was very tempted by the hi cri 5700K version of the HDS, but I'm still on the fence about this emitter. I have enough CW lights to satisfy the need but I truly enjoy the warmer beam tints. I think I could live with 5700K if the CRI were near perfect, and this Jaxman might be just the right low cost experiment.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Verdict? I was very tempted by the hi cri 5700K version of the HDS, but I'm still on the fence about this emitter. I have enough CW lights to satisfy the need but I truly enjoy the warmer beam tints. I think I could live with 5700K if the CRI were near perfect, and this Jaxman might be just the right low cost experiment.

It's worth a try for the price. It is 219c not 219b on the HDS though. The Jaxman is 219b. I haven't purchased a light with the 5700 219c yet.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
here is some idea of the tint difference between the N219b 5700k
maukka said:
7ZHSZss.png

and N219c 5700k (sm573)
maukka said:

for comparison here is a Low CRI XP-G2 6000k. Notice the tint is above the black line, into the green tint zone, similar to the N219c
maukka said:

The N219b is more pink, less green, than the N219c and the XP-G2

bear in mind the Jaxman and the HDS both use pulsed power (PWM like)

Regarding 5700k CCT, that is best suited for someone that needs 200+ lumens during the day, and whose eyes are sunlight adapted. 5700k would not be my choice for a light used at night, below 200 lumens, when eyes are adapted to lower CCT.

I prefer 4000k indoors in the evening, but would not use it to work on a car during the day.

Last edited: