Jaxman E2 measurements (Nichia 219B, bargain high CRI 18650)

hatman

Enlightened
here is some idea of the tint difference between the N219b 5700k

and N219c 5700k (sm573)

for comparison here is a Low CRI XP-G2 6000k. Notice the tint is above the black line, into the green tint zone, similar to the N219c

The N219b is more pink, less green, than the N219c and the XP-G2

bear in mind the Jaxman and the HDS both use pulsed power (PWM like)

Regarding 5700k CCT, that is best suited for someone that needs 200+ lumens during the day, and whose eyes are sunlight adapted. 5700k would not be my choice for a light used at night, below 200 lumens, when eyes are adapted to lower CCT.

I prefer 4000k indoors in the evening, but would not use it to work on a car during the day.

Interesting -- what do you prefer outdoors at night?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting -- what do you prefer outdoors at night?

depends on distance and brightness needs, also depends on how long I need the light to stay on
try to define your anticipated use scenario.. e.g. walking the dog, vs sitting around the bbq... different lights have different strong suits

I dont do any night hiking, WoodsWalker does, and has a lot of posts about the lights he likes for that, check his threads for more ideas

Cool White is brighter, and will reach farther than High CRI 4500k Neutral White, but Cool White makes bbq food look wrong, and you can't tell how cooked the meat is, cause you can't see reds.

to shine across a football field with 1000 lumens, the typical cool white offerings make sense, so long as color rendering or Tint preferences are not a priority
e.g., to see the black dog 50 yards away, I don't care if its slightly green or slightly pink, I just want to spot a large moving mammal with the brightest light I can muster. That means I also will be wanting a battery that can deliver 1000 lumens, which generally speaking means 18650, like in the Jaxman this thread is about. But the Jaxman maxes out at 300 lumens.. fine within 5 yard range, but definitely will not work as well to spot a dog at 50 yards.

Last edited: