JetBeam Backup BC40 (XM-L) High-Output Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

ergotelis

Enlightened
You are so right selfbuilt, you measurement could be quite accurate to their performance. But they could have sent you the worst sample of cree xm-l, or there might be some defects that can't be clearly seen,such as the led has not have been reflowed well on the pcb-heatsink,the specific circuit is underperforming etc.
For reference, i measured exactly on mine 807 OTF, on the same way you test, in comparison to a lot of flashlights that i have and you have too that we are getting the same numbers(M31,IFE2,M30,TD15,predator,quarks,catapult etc). Having said it elsewhere too, my tk35 has much greater output than all other, i am measuring it something more than 900 OTF.Can't explain that high number, have to open it to measure currents, but it happens and according to my eye too, it is brighter!!

Last edited:

WickedBeams

Newly Enlightened
Great review! I am thinking of getting one for work. I have an olight M30, but I hate having to cycle through all the modes to get to the one that I want. this interface seems perfect for me, although i do wish it had a lower low. between 10-30 lumens would have been perfect. The holster looks really nice too, Much better then the crappy one that the M30 came with and that light is double the price.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent review selfbuilt. Thanks a lot!

The white-wall beamshots do not show bluish or greenish tint. Look like outdoor neutral white and I like it.

I think BC40 is lighter than this class using 2x18650s and easy to use like Backup family. :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
this interface seems perfect for me, although i do wish it had a lower low. between 10-30 lumens would have been perfect.
Yes, that is the one thing you have to give up with this simple design - no truly low Lo mode.

The white-wall beamshots do not show bluish or greenish tint. Look like outdoor neutral white and I like it.
Note that my white wall beamshots are set to auto white balance, so tint differences between lights would be hard to compare. Subjectively, there is certainly no blue in my BC40 sample that I can see - I would consider it slightly yellowish cool white (but not green). Of course, like the TK35, I would expect to see more variability in tint on a budget light. There really is no predicting what you may receive. :shrug:

Last edited:

swan

Banned
I'm ready to pull the trigger on this one, but have a quick questions first.

I noticed that Jetbeam now makes protected 18650 cells that are 2300mah. They have a nipple on the positive end, and are much cheaper (half the price) of similar AW cells. Does anyone know how these compare? Are they just as high quality as the cells AW makes, or are these cheaper quality batteries that are comparable to the ultrafire 18650?
Im not sure of the other batterys but i have the bc 40 with the jb cells,the batterys last all week using half an hour a night and not going flat. I use the soshine charger and charges in 3 to 4 hrs,also the light is bright with good 200m throw, great light.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed a definite PWM flicker on mine on low mode. High frequency though so it's not too bad.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I've noticed a definite PWM flicker on mine on low mode. High frequency though so it's not too bad.
:ohgeez: So it does. Sorry for my original report that it doesn't use PWM on Low - I can see it now. Don't know how I missed that before. My apologies everyone. :banghead:

I have updated the review - I have measured the PWM at 876 Hz. While detectable, it is not too bad, as monkeyboy says. But this does likely explain the lower runtime on Lo, compared to the current-controlled lights.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Has anybody gotten a BC40 with ugly green tint? Mine is really a nice white and it makes me wonder. Why do we have to enter the tint lottery with Fenix, 4Sevens, etc with the possibility of a terrible tint when Jetbeam somehow produces a nice one for less money?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Has anybody gotten a BC40 with ugly green tint? Mine is really a nice white and it makes me wonder. Why do we have to enter the tint lottery with Fenix, 4Sevens, etc with the possibility of a terrible tint when Jetbeam somehow produces a nice one for less money?
I would be curious about this too (i.e. how much variability is out there). However, it may just be that Cree is supplying much more for consistent XM-L tints these days. I notice all the recent commentaries in my TK35 thread also point out very premium white tints lately.

BTW, I've done my outdoor 100-yard pics for all my recent lights. A revised beamshot thread, and updates to all individual reviews like this one, will be coming soon.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have just posted a new 100-yard round-up beamshot review for 2011, showcasing all my current "thrower" lights. Below are a couple of an animated GIFs showing some relevant comparisons for the BC40. Please see that round-up review for additional pics of other lights, taken under the same conditions.

TK35-BC40-M3C4XML.gif

X3-BC40-TD15X2x.gif

recDNA

Flashaholic
Nice work. For the money the BC40 performs very well IMO

burpee

Newly Enlightened
Wow - great review - thanks for all the hard "work"?

I was studying the .gif shots to try and determine if I would prefer the BC40 over my TK41. When you took these pictures were you trying to really "aim" the light identically? Or are these more of just a "give it your best shot approach?"

The reason I ask is because of the strong difference between the spill shown for the TK35 and the BC40. Was the "aim" different, or are they that different because of the reflectors? The border of the "spill" (lower left of frame) suggests the aim is different.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
When you took these pictures were you trying to really "aim" the light identically? Or are these more of just a "give it your best shot approach?" The reason I ask is because of the strong difference between the spill shown for the TK35 and the BC40. Was the "aim" different, or are they that different because of the reflectors? The border of the "spill" (lower left of frame) suggests the aim is different.
Yes, I was trying to aim the lights the same way - clearly I was not always successful. But it still gives you a general idea of the spill pattern for the two lights.

The problem is in real life, the corona/spill lights up a reasonable amount in the distance. It is therefore hard to really lock the hot-spot onto the centre target (i.e. where is the centre exactly?). It is only when analyzing the shots afterwards that you can see it clearly (i.e. the camera settings are limited, and really only show the centre hotspot in the distance). At the time, so much is illuminated, it is difficult to visually ascertain when the hotspot really is.

There's also the "random walk" issue of my positioning over 30 or so lights. Over time, I can see I tended to move slightly to the right (i.e. started just left of the camera centre, moved over time). :shrug: Even with trying to keep it consistent, it's very hard not to have a trend in movement over ~40 mins or so.

burpee

Newly Enlightened
I checked a BC40 and found it to be defective. Tail cap switch did not work - bezel switch felt like metal against metal.

I thought the "QC card" supplied in the light packaging must have to be a sarcastic joke. Perhaps the item I received was built on a Monday morning shift.

The BC 40 appears to be priced economically -and to me, there appears to be a reason why.

firelord777

Enlightened
Wow - great review - thanks for all the hard "work"?

I was studying the .gif shots to try and determine if I would prefer the BC40 over my TK41. When you took these pictures were you trying to really "aim" the light identically? Or are these more of just a "give it your best shot approach?"

The reason I ask is because of the strong difference between the spill shown for the TK35 and the BC40. Was the "aim" different, or are they that different because of the reflectors? The border of the "spill" (lower left of frame) suggests the aim is different.

The TK41 is a much better thrower. The BC40, well , is a bit floodier. Go to fonarik and compare the beamshots of TK41 and TK35. The throw of the BC40 is a bit better than the TK35.

It is lighter, and comes with a holster, however (I am forced to EDC tk41 in pocket) and it is an excellent bargain for the price, so I assume you'll like the purchase more than usual.:D

Summer Heat

Newly Enlightened
Anyone try Redilast batteries in the BC40? Do they fit well and make good contact?

I'm looking to buy a BC40 and those new Redilast 18650 batteries with 3100mah.

Redilast specs show their 2600mah, 2900mah, and 3100mah all have the same size dimension.

So if anyone has tried any of those batteries in the BC40 can you let me know if there is any issues.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Anyone try Redilast batteries in the BC40? Do they fit well and make good contact?
Redilast specs show their 2600mah, 2900mah, and 3100mah all have the same size dimension.
Redilast 2600mAh and 2900mAh both work fine on my BC40 sample.

FYI, these cells are not the same size - as you increase capacity, size is bound to increase (i.e. the 3100mAh is likely to be a bit longer or thicker). You can see my Redilast battery mini-review here, or HKJ's extensive battery round-up comparison (which includes detailed dimensions).

Summer Heat

Newly Enlightened
Oh yes, you are right. I misread the battery specs.

But anyway, I just ordered 2 of the new 3100 batteries. I'm excited to see what kind of runtime I would get on the BC40.

According to your runtime chart, you got 70 minutes (1hr 10 min to 50%) on high with 2200mah batteries. I'm guessing theoretically then probably 100 minutes (1 hr 40 min to 50%) with 3100 mah? Does this sound right.

Last edited: