JetBeam Backup Series (XP-G R5) BC10 & BA20 Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

sirimaxi

Newly Enlightened
Re: JetBeam Backup Series (XP-G R5) BC10 & BA20 Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and mor

Hi! Today I received the BC10!!!! Very nice flashlight, good build and very powerful...what I noticed doing a beamshot about 3 meters from a white wall is that a black spot appeared in the middle of the hot spot..that's normal? That's not a bad issue but I'm just curious to know (That doesn't appear on a closer beamshot and also on real usage). One bad thing about this flashlight is that unfortunately my BC10 didn't get my AW 3V LiFePO4 or my AW protected RCR123A (16340) due to the plastic thing for Reverse polarity protection that don't allow positive side of the battery make contact to the positive side of the flashlight....Anyone knows a way to remove that plastic thing? Any other idea besides using a small magnet? Thanks!

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: JetBeam Backup Series (XP-G R5) BC10 & BA20 Reviews: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and mor

what I noticed doing a beamshot about 3 meters from a white wall is that a black spot appeared in the middle of the hot spot..that's normal? That's not a bad issue but I'm just curious to know (That doesn't appear on a closer beamshot and also on real usage).
Yes, it is quite common to have some degree of a dark centre void on lights with XP-G emitters. This varies considerably, though, as it depends on precise focusing. Usually, lights with more heavily textured reflectors greatly reduce this effect.

swtws6

Newly Enlightened

Just received my BC10. Love it! Great build quality, and man is this thing bright for such a small light!! This is my first dive into a higher end brand, away from chinese ebay lights, and it puts all that crap to shame for sure. Wish I could afford every flashlight I own to be like this, but having multiple cheapies has its uipside to. I'll be keeping this one nearby as muvh as possible though.

McCoy

Newly Enlightened

I was looking for a good backup light and had it narrowed down to this and the neutron, decisions decisions....

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I got my BC10 a while ago and its strong points are confirmed by Selbuilt's (as usual) excellent review. Initially I liked the simple UI, but after a few days I began to miss having three or more levels available with a thumb press; the dual level BC10 is pretty much a two-hand light. I appreciate its solid build but I find it pretty big for a 1xcr123 light. The low level brightness is well-chosen and the wide and bright beam is excellent for general use.

Even though I ended up not carrying the BC10 it is clearly a fine light (that my girlfriend is currently enjoying!).

Brightnorm

Last edited:

psuedo69

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the review. Great looking lights.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Initially I liked the simple UI, but after a few days I began to miss having three or more levels available with a thumb press; the dual level BC10 is pretty much a two-hand light. I appreciate its solid build but I find it pretty big for a 1xcr123 light. The low level brightness is well-chosen and the wide and bright beam is excellent for general use.
Thanks for the comments - I think that is a fair assessment. While some may like the simple, reliable two-stage UI (e.g. Mrs Selfbuilt), others will miss the wider range of levels available on a clicky press UI. And the light is a bit bulky for a 1xCR123A sized light.

Bass

Enlightened

I picked up a BC10 and can mirror what others have said and comments from Selfbuilts review; it is a nice light at a keen price point. I think Jetbeam are on to a winner with their BC series; I can see them shifting many units.

I really like their new clicky switch, it has a nice soft feel to it; softer than other JB / chinese lights I own. It feels 'similar' like McGizmos McClicky switch, about the highest praise I can give it. I have no idea how durable or reliable it will be, the construction looks a bit 'flimsy' to me but I may be being over critical. Lets see if they prove reliable long term.

Just to note, my BC10 does not work with AW RCR123A's. I have two batteries and neither work - the BC10 won't light up; nothing. Batteries are fine and work no problems in all other lights.

Their is some kind of physical reverse polarity protection in the head, made of plastic; shown in Selfbuilts review (4th image from the top). Maybe this is stopping the RCR batteries making contact? I am unclear as to why they won't work :thinking:. Shame, as I was looking forward to seeing these glow on RCR's :devil:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Just to note, my BC10 does not work with AW RCR123A's. I have two batteries and neither work - the BC10 won't light up; nothing. Batteries are fine and work no problems in all other lights.
Their is some kind of physical reverse polarity protection in the head, made of plastic; shown in Selfbuilts review (4th image from the top). Maybe this is stopping the RCR batteries making contact?
That seems a likely guess. I tried a couple of difference recent AW RCR (and AW IMR), and all light up fine on my sample. But tolerances may vary, so this is probably the source of your issue. You could always removed the reverse polarity ring, but it may be just as well to leave it as it is - I consider this light too heavily driven on Hi on regular RCR to be run safely.

HIDblue

Enlightened

I thought I had the same problem as well, but it appears that selfbuilt is right, which he typically is...the tolerances of that plastic reverse polarity ring varies. My BC10 finally worked on my 3rd try with an AW RCR123. I don't recall doing anything differently...maybe the positive terminal on the 3rd AW RCR123 was just a sliver higher than the other two, allowing it to make contact with the positive connection in the head of the BC10.

I just ended up marking the AW RCR123 that actually does function in the BC10 so I know which one to use...not ideal if you ask me, but no worries...

And if you get your AW RCR123 to work in your BC10, you'll definitely notice the bump up in output.

I really like my Thrunite Neutron 1C based on the great beam pattern and output of the XM-L, but the BC10 has the definite advantages of a Forward clicky and can tail-stand reliably. Who knows...maybe Jetbeam will throw in an XM-L into the BC10 later on down the road.

Last edited:

Bass

Enlightened

Thanks HIDblue and Selfbuilt. This must be the case, the physical plastic reverse polarity ring must be the cause. Looking at my BC10 more closely, the black plastic disc for the reverse polarity protection is slightly off centre. The hole is not directly over the raised contact. I may cut a little away or sand it down. I'd like to use it on RCR 123's :naughty:

Primaries work fine, no issue, it's just my AW RCR123's. Here's a pic:

Jetbeam-BC10-Reverse-polarity-protection-CPF.jpg

Lion of Zion

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the great review!! Was looking for a AA light, your review helped me make up my mind. Jetbeam Backup BA20!!!

infinite

Newly Enlightened

No problems with any of my AW protected RCR or AW IMR cells - all worked fine.

As an aside, I think these would be good lights to try 3V LiFeP04 cells in, due to the lower nominal voltage (but I don't have any to try).

Hi all i'm using ultrafire rechargeable protected cell. By right i would need a spacer in order to make contact for my BC10. However I managed to remove the reverse polarity protection ring and i cant fix it back. The ultrafire cr123 cells work for now. But would there be any side effects? Pls advice guys, i'm worried. Thanks lots

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Hi all i'm using ultrafire rechargeable protected cell. By right i would need a spacer in order to make contact for my BC10. However I managed to remove the reverse polarity protection ring and i cant fix it back. The ultrafire cr123 cells work for now. But would there be any side effects? Pls advice guys, i'm worried. Thanks lots
You should be fine without the physical reverse polarity ring - the light should work normally. Just don't put in any cells backwards. ;)

infinite

Newly Enlightened

You should be fine without the physical reverse polarity ring - the light should work normally. Just don't put in any cells backwards. ;)

Thanks for the help selfbuilt. I will take note of the polarity of the cells. I'm a little confuse between using rcr123, icr123 n imr123? is they any link that provide explanation regarding the differences between this cells.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Thanks for the help selfbuilt. I will take note of the polarity of the cells. I'm a little confuse between using rcr123, icr123 n imr123? is they any link that provide explanation regarding the differences between this cells.

RCR123 is a general notation for rechargeable CR 123 cell. ICR and IMR is two specific chemistries. The both have a maximum voltage of 4.2 volt. ICR cells has the highest capacity and need a protection circuit, IMR cells can deliver more current, but has less total energy and are always sold without protection circuit (This is the problem if the light discharges the cell fully).

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast

i was impress with selfbuilt estimated max lightbox lumens on JB BA20.
gonna get 1 unit soon.
nice & solid review again by selfbuilt.
many thanks.

infinite

Newly Enlightened

By the way, my run time on ultrafire RCR123 protected only last about 12 mins and the light starts flashing at the same brightness. Is the ultrafire battery faulty? Or is there a circuit protection from the BC10 itself?:confused:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

By the way, my run time on ultrafire RCR123 protected only last about 12 mins and the light starts flashing at the same brightness. Is the ultrafire battery faulty? Or is there a circuit protection from the BC10 itself?:confused:
I am not surprised - the BC10 is driven too hard on 3.7V Li-ion to take regular protected RCRs. As I warn in my review, you should only use IMR cells in the BC10 (with standard caveat to be careful not to run them down, as they don't have protection circuits). I don't know what the flashing refers to, as mine didn't do that.

Simply put, IMO, the maximum safe discharge for a regular Li-ion is only 2C (i.e. 30 mins). It was clear to me from the output that this would drain a regular RCR too quickly, which is why I didn't test on standard protected RCRs. But I am not surprised at the result - although I note that 12 mins translates into 5C, which GREATLY exceeds what a standard Li-ion can handle. This will damage the cell. I have just updated the review with an additional warning now that someone has measured it.

As always, I recommend folks consult with the battery experts in the "Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included" sub-forum for more info.

Last edited:

Marc999

Newly Enlightened

Nice review. Since I'm new to the world of led's, I'll be sticking with the AA nimh variety.
I'm sure it will be a pleasant surprise/upgrade to my little minimag 2AA led.

Selfbuilt: have you done a review of the ITP SA2; I'm hanging on the fence between these 2 lights.
BA20: brighter, simpler operation.
ITP SA2: low/med/high [infinite mode] output, yet less lumens on high.

Marc

Last edited:

Latest posts