JetBeam Jet-III PRO ST Review: RUNTIMES, COMPARISONS, PHOTOS and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The light looks awesome and has great output/efficiency on the max mode, but we can't overlook the lack of efficiency on the high and medium modes.
I honestly don't know what to make of that - it may be some pecularity with my one sample. Certainly didn't see any efficiency problems like this on my Jet-III or either of my Jet-IIs.

I noticed that the SS bezel on the head of your sample is different from the pictures Jetbeam provided. Theirs is gold in color, and smaller. Any idea why?
I've heard that some have come with a gold/brass coloured one (like my original non-IBS Jet-I PRO I imagine), whereas other people have reported ones like this. Not sure if its a permanent change.

Did the light get exceptionally hot during the max mode test?
Good question! I do all my runtimes under a cooling fan, so I don't routinely measure heat. But I did run the original Jet-III PRO and the new ST simulatenously on max in each of my hands, and the ST got warmer faster. Not the most quantitative I'm afraid, but take it for what it's worth. :)

Actuallly, Im wrong. HI is off by 45 minutes....thats a whole lot considering the total times are 90 and 135 minutes.
Could be the battery - I haven't seen JetBeams graphs, but they could potentially be using a higher capacity one than the AW protecteds. Also, Vf of individual emitters can be a big difference on runtime.

FYI, I've tested all my AW 18650s in the Jet-III PRO IBS, and I get anywhere from 82 to 98 mins runtime on max. The specific battery I used in all these tests is one of my middle-of-the pack performers, since I believe that's probably most representational. :)

merlocka

Enlightened
Another excellent review by Selfbuilt. Cheers!

Side by side:

jet-iii-pro-st-vs-p3d.jpg

Regards,
Eric

That's a really nice quality photo.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
When you get a chance, could you post some 100 foot (or even 150 foot) side by side beamshots of the ST vs the IBS?
Sorry, not too easy to do around here unless I want to really annoy my neighbors (tightly packed neighborhood). I've been meaning to try and set up some long distance shots in the nearby woods, but haven't found the time yet (too many new reviews to do! :rolleyes:).

Which reminds me - JetBeam has agreed to send me a Jet-III Military version to test. No ETA as yet. :)

primox1

Newly Enlightened
I've heard that some have come with a gold/brass coloured one (like my original non-IBS Jet-I PRO I imagine), whereas other people have reported ones like this. Not sure if its a permanent change.

Flavio from BOG has informed me that brass bezel was pre-production/proto only. Apparently, all the production ST's now come with the SS bezel.

Any new updates or opinions on the ST?

Trekmeister

Newly Enlightened
Great review, now I want one of these even more!

What is the inner diameter of the battery tube, do they take "any" 18650 cell or is it a tight fit?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Side by side:

jet-iii-pro-st-vs-p3d.jpg

Regards,
Eric

Great review Selfbuilt...as always!

So, let me see if I have this right.... the Jetbeam Pro ST is Basicily a Fenix P3D sized light that will work with an 18650 and does not require me to go through S.O.S.???? Wow, pretty much everything I have been looking for in a P3D sized light!

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also tried a 3/4 in GITD o-ring in the bezel but it was a bit too fat preventing the bezel from being screwed back in all the way. I will have to find a thinner one.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are my 2 cents. The light feels well built, has a nice white beam and throws well. I was able to light up trees about 328 feet away. Adjusting the speed of the strobe is nice.

The light came with the forward clickie installed so it was challenging getting used to the UI. I have accidentally somehow reset it and entered the IBS mode a few times. Probably clicking to fast through the modes.

My first Jetbeam so I have no others to compare it to. Not a bad light. I like it.

Also, it would be nice if we could order one of those brass bezels!

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent review selfbuilt!! Just one query, my Jet III Pro ST has a forward clicky, so in order to set the brightness levels, i have to do this:

1. half click till i reach the mode i wish to program;

2. then without releasing the clicky (while it's still half pressed in), i have to do a quick 3 x half clicks

3. when the ramping starts, i either do another half click to get to strobe mode, then click fully or just click fully and let it ramp up.

4. once it hits the level (either of brightness or of strobe frequency) that i want, i turn it off and wait.

Is this correct for the Jet III Pro STs with forward clickys? I tried clicking fully on and then doing half clicks but it doesnt seem to work that way.

Cheers

mitch79

Newly Enlightened
Mine came with the forward clicky installed and a second reverse clicky in the box.
I decided to try the reverse clicky and ended up leaving it in there.
The IMO the reverse clicky suits the IBS interface better.
One click to turn on to high, tap the switch to change modes.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
the reverse clicky sounds like an easier way to program the IBS, but i've gotten used to mine already so i guess i'll just leave it as it is.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
the reverse clicky sounds like an easier way to program the IBS, but i've gotten used to mine already so i guess i'll just leave it as it is.
Sounds like you have it right. The IBS circuit was designed for a reverse clicky, so you have to keep in mind how a reverse clicky would behave and replicate it with the forward clicky. Certainly doable, but requires you to think ahead through the steps (as you have done).

I find the most important thing to remember with the forward clicky is to start half-pressed (i.e. on state with the reverse clicky), in whatever mode you want to program, give the 3 flashes, and then end rapidly with a half-press or full click (i.e. still on with the reverse clicky). Without those initial and ending half-presses, you won't get anywhere with the full clicky.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks selfbuilt, that is exactly right! been mucking around with the IBS forward clicky and u got it spot on