JetBeam Jet-III PRO ST Review: RUNTIMES, COMPARISONS, PHOTOS and more!

bexamous

Newly Enlightened
Well those numbers aren't right... or at least shouldn't be. The claim lowest with non-BOV Jet3's is 2lumens @ 200 hours (well 'over 200 hours') and they make the exact same claim for the BOV versions. Yet from selfbuilts review the non-BOV's lightbox number was 2.2 yet the BOV's was 0.2, 10 times lower. Runtime should be much longer.

adnj

Enlightened
Any chance that we will see new tests of the ST with the broad voltage circuit.

Now that Doug has stopped his reviews, I gotta ask selfbuilt. Help me selbuilt-kanobe. You are our only hope.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does the ST handle heat? I want to be able to run it on max for extended times while being held in my hand. Is that doable with this light?

JeffN

Enlightened

The ST with the broad voltage circuit functions like the Jet-III M, reviewed by selfbuilt here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211631

I've got both versions of the ST, and the BVC/R2 version, although sharing the same body, is a different critter. It does not have three programmable modes -- only one, plus tightening the head gives full power. It's a nice light, but really not an "upgrade" of the ST -- more a slim version of the Jet-III M.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
The ST with the broad voltage circuit functions like the Jet-III M, reviewed by selfbuilt here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211631
Agreed, there doesn't seem to be much need to test a broad voltage version of the ST - it should perform identically to the Jet-III M I tested in that link above. (sorry adnj, Mos Eisley spaceport is as far as I can take you :)).

Yet from selfbuilts review the non-BOV's lightbox number was 2.2 yet the BOV's was 0.2, 10 times lower. Runtime should be much longer.
Yes, the broad-range circuit is capable of incredibly low output - roughly on par with my Novatac 120P (which quotes its minimum as 0.08 lumens). At that level, I would expect typical 18650 or 2xRCR runtimes to be well in excess of 200 hours (assuming reasonable efficiency). Of course, I don't plan to test that. ;)

A key point to consider is that there is likely to be quite large variability in runtime at these levels among different samples (due to emitter Vf variation). As discussed in my Nitecore Extreme and other reviews, it seems that variability on these continuously-variable PWM lights can be potentially as large as an order of magnitude from one sample to the next, at these very low drive levels. I suspect 200+ hours is just a conservative estimate on their part, keeping it as a lower limit (i.e. your sample could be 200 hours ... or 2000 hours ... etc.).

How does the ST handle heat? I want to be able to run it on max for extended times while being held in my hand. Is that doable with this light?
Should be doable, as long as you keep it in your hand ... I've used my regular ST for up to 10mins at a stretch, and while it gets quite warm, it is still carry-able. Left unattended though, I would expect it to get uncomfortably hot on max.

Kremer

Enlightened
I just measured my ST-BVC with a 4.0xV resting 18650.

lowest (2lu) was 3ma.
full power was 900ma.

So just for grins dividing that out assuming the current with voltage is constant, and it isn't, but close enough. we get on a 2200mah cell:

2200/3 = 733 HOURS on lowest.
2200/900 = 2.4 hours on high, which isn't too far off from advertised.

This is on my sears craftsman unknown calibration meter.

EDIT: full power wasn't exactly 900, I rounded up from 891 measured.

Last edited:

JeffN

Enlightened
Nice work! I'm glad I kept mine -- I just have to have an R2 with a better (whiter) color installed.

I haven't been able to do a decent comparison between the Q5 ST and the ST-BVC -- the weather won't cooperate -- but indoors the ST-BVC still looks a bit brighter, even with the green shade vs. nice white for the Q5 ST. Of course, the SMO reflector in the ST-BVC gives it an advantage over the OP reflector in the Q5 ST. I need to pop the bezels and do a swap for comparison.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering the ST with 18650 only circuit and OP reflector. I'm looking for a light with a wider beam, not a super-thrower. I want good medium range use, more like a P3D or NDI beam, with a smooth beam. Is the ST for me?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I am considering the ST with 18650 only circuit and OP reflector. I'm looking for a light with a wider beam, not a super-thrower. I want good medium range use, more like a P3D or NDI beam, with a smooth beam. Is the ST for me?
I'd say it is a good medium-range use light with the OP reflector (very smooth beam). But note that the overall spillbeam width is not quite as great as the P3D or NDI.

adnj

Enlightened
Thanks for weighing in selfbuilt. I am disappointed with the loss of one the adjustable levels. I really wanted a Jetbeam but an 18650 tube on a Ra is a better option for me now.

JML

Enlightened
Received my Broad Voltage version (the second, actually, as the first was very green and pretty dim). Very nice light -- and superb build quality, as noted.

The Olight battery magazine for 2 x CR123A batteries will fit in the JetBeam Jet-III Pro ST BV, as long as the tab for the lanyard is cut off and smoothed. (Same as the Jet-III Military version.)

bexamous

Newly Enlightened
Well one less ST BOV/R2 light in the world...
stmce5a.jpg

JML

Enlightened
No OP reflectors are available for the ST (at least right now). I've asked BugOutGear to try and get some. It might help to have more requests.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
No OP reflectors are available for the ST (at least right now). I've asked BugOutGear to try and get some. It might help to have more requests.

Thanks for the info. I've confirmed (while changing to 5A emitters) that the reflectors for the broad voltage and 18650-only versions are not in any way interchageable.

bexamous

Newly Enlightened
Top one is a AA-size Jet1 IBS on high, '225 lumens'.
Bottom is PRO ST w/5A MC-E.

jet1.JPG

jet3.JPG

speedster

Newly Enlightened
Just received mine today. Great light. Still working on the programming :confused: LOL. Great reviews BTW. I really appreciate all the time and effort someone can put into something they really believe in.

Did anybody else get a torch the whines? What should I do about it??

sygyzy

Enlightened
Just received mine today. Great light. Still working on the programming :confused: LOL. Great reviews BTW. I really appreciate all the time and effort someone can put into something they really believe in.

Did anybody else get a torch the whines? What should I do about it??

You can't do anything about it except try different cells. One type may not whine. Or you can do what I did and ship it back, asking for a replacement that doesn't whine.