JetBeam M1X Review (Cree M-CE): RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thank you, SelfBuilt !

Once again, a fine review. And photographs !

:goodjob::kewlpics::thanks:

_

TodToh

Newly Enlightened
I agree with your measurement of light at 5 meters distance.
But when you calculated back to 1 meter, is the value still accurate and reliable?

Sincerely :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I agree with your measurement of light at 5 meters distance.
But when you calculated back to 1 meter, is the value still accurate and reliable?
I see what you asking - although I don't know if the word "accurate" has a lot of meaning when discussing 1m readings on strong throwers to begin with. Yes, a certain value can be obtained, but how well this compares to the true "throw" of a light is dubious for a strong thrower. Most of the data I've seen from others with more sophisticated equipment is that at least 3-5m is required to get the beams on these lights to coalesce to full focus.

In this case, yes, the calculated result is fairly consistent with the actual 1m lux reading I've taken (which comes up as ~23K lux - its hard to be more precise because of the beam variation around the donut). But even if these numbers differed, I would still greatly trust the computed value over the actual 1m value as more representative of beam throw. This is what I'm going to stick with from now on for heavy thrower comparisons.

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think DM51's "guestimate" is pretty good. Based on the rated capacities of AW's batteries, I think ~1hr on max is likely.

But I may pick up some 18500s from AW just because I like running it on the smaller form factor without the extension tube ... we'll see. :whistle:

No problem. I think so too, 1hr on max. It's a good runtime for standard body [without extension tube]. For me, it is the big advantage this body: Can use 2x18500 that tranforms the light in a more usual size.

Last edited:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Thank you for the review and comparison with the new ACE-G!! We need more of these!

Can you get us some more outdoor beamshots of those two? Say at 100-200 yards?:popcorn:

gollum

Enlightened
thanks for taking the time for this review :twothumbs

very nice pics aswell

JetBeam raises the bar :cool:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Can you get us some more outdoor beamshots of those two? Say at 100-200 yards?:popcorn:
That's a little harder to do, since I would have to shine it through my neighbors houses to get to that distance. :laughing: I may try to take all the lights to a park to do longer distance beamshots, but I'd rather wait until I have more samples on hand. No promises ...

In the meantime, here are some lower exposure shots to show you the hotspots (added to the first post as well).

M1X-Outdoor2.jpg

ACE-Outdoor2.jpg

MVPP7-Outdoor2.jpg

MVP3X-Outdoor2.jpg

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review!

The M1X is the brightest of them all, nicely rated at 450 lumens. I'm gonna put it in my "next one" list.

Does anyone knows which is brighter between the ACE, M1X and the TK40?

jiivee

Newly Enlightened
Nice review!

The M1X is the brightest of them all, nicely rated at 450 lumens. I'm gonna put it in my "next one" list.

Does anyone knows which is brighter between the ACE, M1X and the TK40?

Hi all. I'm new member here.

I have JetBeam M1x and Fenix TK40 (M bin i think). I do not see a visual difference between those two. Both are really good flashlights and both give a lot of light.

For the sefbuilt. This is a great and professional review. Thanks.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have JetBeam M1x and Fenix TK40 (M bin i think). I do not see a visual difference between those two. Both are really good flashlights and both give a lot of light.
:welcome: Thanks for the input jiivee.

I think most people will find little obvious difference in overall output with the current crop of M-CE lights. But note that HKJ presented some ceiling bounce percent outputs in the previous page that showed an advantage to the TK40. I don't have one to test myself, though.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened

For the sefbuilt. This is a great and professional review. Thanks.

Hello jiivee, and welcome to CPF!

When you say there is no visual difference, are you comparing them at a distance, or short range illumination?

HKJ

Flashaholic
But note that HKJ presented some ceiling bounce percent outputs in the previous page that showed an advantage to the TK40. I don't have one to test myself, though.

The overall output of the TK40 measures greater with ceiling bounce, but if you look at the spill, the M1X has brighter spill, but it is a smaller circle than the spill from TK40.

jiivee

Newly Enlightened

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
The M1-X has a more intense hotspot than the TK40 which will equal more throw. You are right though in one sense....they don't appear that far off from each other in intensity.

These kind of comparisons are valuable info for those people who are looking for a certain beam quality.

Thanks very much!

Patriot

Flashaholic
I have also measured a bit on the M1X, but mine is a first generation. With a ceiling bounce I get the following:
TK40: 100%
M1X: 69%
MVP: 63%

The difference between M1X and MVP is smaller than you measurement, but not much. I.e. they might have increased the output, but only a little (This conclusion assumes that yours and mine MVP has the same output).

I think the 31% difference has to do with it being a 1st gen model since a difference that large would be very easy to detect with the eyes. During some recent ceiling bounce tests I was able to see output differences between two separate lights as small as 2% (verified by lux meter) as long as they were switched back an forth in a short amount of time. It's amazing how good the eyes are detecting light changes as long as they aren't gradual but instead stepped or alternating.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Selfbuilt, do you have an opinion of where the TK40 would fall in output wise within this group that you tested? I don't know if you've had your hands on one yet but I'd still be curious to hear your estimation if nothing else.

Thanks

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Selfbuilt, do you have an opinion of where the TK40 would fall in output wise within this group that you tested? I don't know if you've had your hands on one yet but I'd still be curious to hear your estimation if nothing else.
I haven't seen one, but I will be testing the Olight M30 Triton. According the MattK's dealer post, they have only found the TK40 to be ~5% brighter. We'll see how the M30 does in my testing when it arrives (no ETA yet ...). :whistle:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just updated the runtime graph with results of 2x18500 AW protected (rated at 1500mAh):

M1X-Runtimes-1.gif

Looks like the ~1hr estimate was pretty good. Coupled with the shorter body size, I think this is a very feasible way to run the light.