Jetbeam PA40 Owners must read...

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,

We'd like to get some feedback from actual owners of Jetbeam PA40. It is any good? Would you recommend it? How are the threads coming along?

Any potential issues with the light?

Thanks much!

Danielsan

Enlightened
The Problem is that i got the light a few days ago, i cant really tell you much about it, maybe some pictures will help you, sorry for the quality but those are made with an iphone because my digi cam dont offer a macro mode, only the two beam shots are made with my real camera. Cant say much about the threads, they are greased. The low battery indicator will start to blink every 10 secs about 10 minutes after using the high mode, i can confirm this. This dosnt mean a lot because you can use the light on high for another 2 hours or more until the constant battery low light starts to blink.

F2.8 1/125sec Thrunite Neutron 2C 330 Lumen / Jetbeam PA40 468 Lumen

F2.8 1/1000sec Thrunite Neutron 2C 330 Lumen / Jetbeam PA40 468 Lumen both XM-L. I dont know the real Lumen, i just wrote what the manual claims.

Last edited:

ms1496

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

We'd like to get some feedback from actual owners of Jetbeam PA40. It is any good? Would you recommend it? How are the threads coming along?

Any potential issues with the light?

Thanks much!

I have one and yes its great light for the money. I would recommend it in a heartbeat.:thumbsup:
Reason being it is very bright, plenty of nicely spaced levels of intensity. Runs on one of the most common batteries in the world, the AA. Build quality is top notch Jetbeam as usual. Its not a large light and the composite carbon handle is downright rigid/solid as can be. Best of all It has a practical real world use beam pattern of medium size spot and throw, with a decent amount of spill. You wont regret buying this light...
Cheers

ms1496

Newly Enlightened
Btw I haven't had or foresee any issues with this light. Good luck in your light buying!

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one and yes its great light for the money. I would recommend it in a heartbeat.:thumbsup:
Reason being it is very bright, plenty of nicely spaced levels of intensity. Runs on one of the most common batteries in the world, the AA. Build quality is top notch Jetbeam as usual. Its not a large light and the composite carbon handle is downright rigid/solid as can be. Best of all It has a practical real world use beam pattern of medium size spot and throw, with a decent amount of spill. You wont regret buying this light...
Cheers

That sounds good. I am waiting for one. It will be my first ever Jetbeam. As you say the batteries are available everywhere. And except from the highest mode also alkalines will give decent runtime.

Q8iGunner

Newly Enlightened
I'm too having one in it's way to me and it's my first JetBeam. I tend to search before I buy anything and so far I didn't find any bad thing about it, I bought it because of the lumes output on AA batteries and the beam profile.

Quality

Newly Enlightened
Danielsan,

If you read selfbuilt's review of the PA40 (I'm sure you already have) he details how the battery indicator works. If you have eneloops that are a bit "used" you may experience voltage sag associated with older cells. That voltage sag will trigger the first level of the battery indicator everytime.

If you use newer cells, however, you will not experience this at all. I put brand new eneloops in my PA40 and the battery indicator doesn't blink at all until after about an hour on high. And it doesn't start blinking on medium or low for much longer than that.

So IMO the battery indicator is a phenomenal feature. As selfbuilt said it can actually provide you with contextual information on the level of your batteries. You can actually figure out how low they are based on how much the light blinks (or doesn't blink) at all four levels.

I like my PA40 a lot and definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a high power 4 x AA light. For the price, it can't be beat.

JCup

Newly Enlightened
I usually cannot resist any light Selfbuilt likes. ;-)

But this one is really nice. Lightweight, with a rather broad beam and a lot of spill. Great output. I got the neutral from BugoutgearUSA, and love the color and the rendition. Last weekend the Dallas Water Utilities people were digging a crater in front of my home to replace an 8 inch main (night crew). The backhoe operator was digging around a gas line, and I went in the house and got my new light. At a distance of about 20 ft, it lit that entire hole like daylight. The City people had some temporary lights set up, and some big portable lanterns, they all wanted to handle my JetBeam. It made their lanterns look dim.

Good ergonomics, output, 4 options down to a useful low that would go for days. I think the 4xaa is a great format. Highly recommended.

Oh, the threads are fine. The male threads seem to be cut into the plastic, and the engagement is very smooth. The whole thing is rattle free and solid.

Quality

Newly Enlightened
JCup you actually got your hands on a neutral PA40? Awesome! Do you happen to know how many lumens the neutral version is?

tam17

Enlightened
I'm supposed to pick up my PA40NW today. I'll report as soon as I find time to play with it.

Cheers,

Tam

JCup

Newly Enlightened
Sorry Quality, I can only say lots of lumens. I did get the 5000K from bugoutgearusa, after s couple of days shipment delay. The rating shown is 468, and the broad beam pattern will really light up intermediate distances. Inside, it floods a room. The color rendition on this one is better than most any LED light I own.

Quality

Newly Enlightened
Anyone know what the runtimes are like with L91s?

If you take a look at the runtime charts in selfbuilt's review, they are done with 2000 mah eneloops. L91's are 3000mah so you can expect around 50% longer runtimes. This has proven to be true with many other flashlights.

JCup Thanks for trying to describe it. I have the cool white version but its actually the warmest cool white I have ever seen, I'm sure the 5000k is sweet.

tam17 That would be great thanks.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
I am tempted to buy this but I keep on waiting for the Q50W. I want the neutral version. I wish there were more outdoor and indoor beamshots of this light. I am getting impatient waiting for the Q50w and patience I am not good with. This thread is fueling me to buy one. Extremely happy feeling when the mail lady delivers the flashlight to my house.

tam17

Enlightened
Yep, my PA40W (official JB's name for a 5,000K neutral white version) arrived this evening.

New, freshly charged Eneloops inserted, and it lit up the room with pure white floody light (not a yellowish or purplish tint - at last!) :naughty:

Its UI is not so common one, but it's pretty much intuitive and you get used to it with very little practicing. Very important, there is a momentary, and modes can be changed without hard-clicking every time. Works flawlessly so far.

Colour rendering (tried on deciduous/evergreen trees and grassy surfaces) is better than with 6,000K cool white, but there's no CRI in the documentation that came with the light. I'll try to get some outdoor beamshots and compare its tint to a common cool white, but I'm not sure if my Nikon can reproduce colours in a way my eye sees them.

Cheers,

Tam

Last edited:

Quality

Newly Enlightened
I am a big fan of the beam profile in this light. It is extremely useful at all ranges except SUPER far away, which I was not buying this flashlight for. I'd get a smooth reflector thrower for that purpose, even though its actually not that bad of a thrower considering the OP reflector.

I'd love to see some beamshot comparisons between the PA40w and PA40 but I doubt that will happen unless some sick sick man buys both of them, lol. Honestly I'd settle for just knowing the lumen difference.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are making it hard for those holding out on the q50. It might serve zebralight well to at least get some photos going some point.

Must read ? ? ! ?

lol I've been waiting for someone to take issue with that. I took it to mean must answer.

tam17

Enlightened
Honestly I'd settle for just knowing the lumen difference.

Looks like that they're using the same sticker (with the same ANSI info table, of course) for CW and NW version. It says 468 lumens although I think it should be less for the NW, but I'm perfectly OK with this tradeoff.

Tam