JetBeam PA40 (XM-L T6, 4xAA, Carbon Fiber body) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: JetBeam PA40 (XM-L T6, 4xAA, Carbon Fiber body) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & mo

This seems to be a good function. But I wonder if using lower modes could cause a risk for overdischarging the cells? When I use multi-mode lights with NiMh cells I now and then test if the highest mode still is available to see if battery is still fresh. Is that to recommend even with PA40, or will battery indicator prevent overdisharging also when using lower modes?
That's a good a strategy for all lights that use NiMH.

In this case, I think the warning light gives an even better advance warning. Specifically, by the time the lowest mode shows even the 10% flash (i.e. 3 times in 10 secs), I would change the batteries - even if all four modes are present.

I just depleted a set of NiMH on my Maha charger's discharge function. Popped these in the light, and I got constant flashing on Turbo, slow flashing (10% warning) on Hi, Med and Lo. All four levels were present, but I noticed Turbo output started dropping immediately in my lightbox. After about 10 secs or on Turbo (which was down to ~75% max output), I noticed light began fast flashing on Hi as well Turbo (still slow flashing on Lo/Med).

So, personally, I wouldn't wait any longer than this to change the cells.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: JetBeam PA40 (XM-L T6, 4xAA, Carbon Fiber body) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, & mo

Thanks for the information selfbuilt! I will wait for the neutral to be in stock.

Colorblinded

Enlightened

Thanks for the information selfbuilt! I will wait for the neutral to be in stock.
It's a nice sounding light in neutral, I'm curious to check it out. Interesting that bugoutgear in the US has them in Neutral, I haven't seen it anywhere else and it doesn't even seem like Jetbeam has the Neutrals widely available yet.

Edit: looks like they ran out of stock actually.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

it doesn't even seem like Jetbeam has the Neutrals widely available yet.
That would be consistent with what the JetBeam rep told me - Neutrals would only be coming next month. Guess we'll all have to wait a little longer. :shrug:

brightnorm

Flashaholic

...But i'm really concerned about the resilience of the threads in cold environments. Since this light should be perfect for being left in the car... Where I live, in winter it's possible to reach -20 Celsius. And I don't know how well will react the plastic from -20 to the high temperatures of a full working XML.
I can't answer the thread question, but wouldn't lithiums be better for cold weather use?

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I'm sorry Jetbeam didn't use slightly less aggressive reflector texturing. They could probably have achieved better throw without seriously compromising width or smoothness.

Brightnorm
PA40042.jpg

tam17

Enlightened

Does anyone know what is the official CCT and lumen rating for PA40 Neutral White?

IIRC someone has mentioned the 5.000K value in previous posts. Cree claims their XM-L Neutral White to be somewhere between 3.700K and 5.000K.

Cheers,

Tam

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's a nice sounding light in neutral, I'm curious to check it out. Interesting that bugoutgear in the US has them in Neutral, I haven't seen it anywhere else and it doesn't even seem like Jetbeam has the Neutrals widely available yet.

Edit: looks like they ran out of stock actually.

I saw that Batteryjunction also carry the neutral, and actually no information that it isn't in stock...

yliu

Enlightened

Talking about color temp. I found mine cool white PA40 to be on the warm side of cool white, it has the warmest tint of all my cool white flashlights.

Slight greenish yellow tint.

Could that be because the XML is not driven really hard?

Oh, and the flood has a purple tint on high, I think it's because of the AR coating.

brightnorm

Flashaholic

...I do have some quibbles - tailstanding would be nice....

...the length wouldn't work too well for front pockets (unless you were wearing cargo shots - even then, I prefer something shorter).

I believe the length and non-tailstanding are related. Normally, a multi-level general purpose light like this one would be able to tailstand, a feature especially useful for camping and many other activities. I believe there are three reasons for the lack of this feature, both aesthetic and "psychological".The diagonal shape achieves an appealingly streamlined and slightly rakish appearance. The second reason is that it gives the impression of a shorter and less bulky light. If questioned on this Jetbeam might well respond that it makes the tail switch more accessible. In actual use it makes virtually no difference, as I proved to myself by temporarily squaring off the tail.

The third reason is that it might be harder to see the warning light with a built-up "wall". To test this I Magic Marker'ed a red dot on a tiny piece from a "Post-It" note pasted over the warning light window, then replaced my temporary "wall". The red dot was clearly visible when I observed the light's tail.

This appears to be a case of function following form, to the detriment of function and the light's owner. That said, I own the light and enjoy using it. If I need it to tailstand temporarily I'll shim it with some cardboard or whatever is handy. Now I'm trying to figure out a decent-looking permanent fix, but I haven't come up with anything yet.

Any ideas?

Brightnorm

Last edited:

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened

I love my PA40 but could not find any info on lithium use on instructions or website. Since Irene knocked out my electric I found myself organizing my batteries in the dark. I found I had 150 Energizer lithiums. I emailed Jet-Beam about using lithiums and they replied this eve saying they should be ok to use. Has anyone tried them? Btw Selfbuilt, I love your reviews and read them over and over. Imgadgetman

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I use lithium primaries. No problems so far.
It's a terrific light but I have a strong gripe re lack of tail-standing unless you jury-rig something. A long-burning multi-mode light like the PA40 is ideal for extended candle mode, but Jetbeam unfortunately has put form (sleek diagonal tail) over function.

Brightnorm

Last edited:

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does anyone know what the light output would be using regular Duracell or Energizer Alkaline batteries?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Does anyone know what the light output would be using regular Duracell or Energizer Alkaline batteries?
As you can see in my runtime graphs, regulated output is exactly the same between NiMH and alkalines. So it would be the same values as what I report in my summary table in the review.

uknewbie

Banned

The only complain imho is the plastic.
Is durable? I think so. But i'm really concerned about the resilience of the threads in cold environments. Since this light should be perfect for being left in the car... Where I live, in winter it's possible to reach -20 Celsius. And I don't know how well will react the plastic from -20 to the high temperatures of a full working XML.

Done properly, this CFRP should be very strong, very resistant to chemicals and very resistant to cold weather.

Great weight to strength ratio and is being used in a lot of construction and high tech engineering projects.

Jep

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the review of this light. ive been lurking for a while on here trying to find a replacement to the focusable led lenser i lost recently (my 1st decent.. or so i thought..light) i think im like other new ppl that had no idea flashlights were such serious business. im sold on this jetbeam for around the house/camping trips and i am also afraid i have the light bug:sick2:

Burgess

Flashaholic

to Jep --

Welcome to CandlePowerForums ! ! !

:welcome:
_

Danielsan

Enlightened

i received mine today, the plastic part look kind of patchy with some darker parts, is that normal? So it has a slightly used look but i guess thats the carbon pastic that they used. I never had such a big Flashlight, its feels really heavy and dosnt look that bright compared to the Thrunite Neutron 2C. I thought its gonna have a wow factor but i guess the Neutron 2C is a bright light already. the tint is much warmer then the Neutron 2C which is more blue, the jetbeam has a more yellow tint. Im still waiting for the ZL Q50, if this light will be much brighter then i will switch because the Jetbeam is also very long, dont know why it is so long. With this lenght you could load 6xAA into it and not 4, so its a bit wasted size here. The head feels really solid, they button make a rattle noise when you shake the light.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

i received mine today, the plastic part look kind of patchy with some darker parts, is that normal? So it has a slightly used look but i guess thats the carbon pastic that they used. I never had such a big Flashlight, its feels really heavy and dosnt look that bright compared to the Thrunite Neutron 2C. I thought its gonna have a wow factor but i guess the Neutron 2C is a bright light already.
Didn't notice any patchiness on my sample, so can't really advise as to what is normal. Can you post a pic by any chance?

As for the output, my original Neutron 2C put out ~360 estimated lumens at 3 mins (compared to ~460 at 3 mins on the PA40). That's less than a 30% increase in output, so it likely won't seem that much brighter. The 2C has a much more floody beam, which will also make it seem brighter at close-range (especially indoors). Outside at a medium+ distance is where the PA40 will look the brigtest.