Jetbeam Raptor RRT-2

jgraham15

Enlightened
Re: What does the Jetbeam Raptor RRT-2 not exist or something?

Hello, I am new to CPF.

I've ordered a RRT-2 from hobbies-store in HK and awaiting it to arrive by the end of the week. I own some Fenix lights and it will be my first Jetbeam. I find it an amazing looking flashlight. But the decisive factor is the ring and the three lightmodes. I think it will be the right light for duty when something between my PD20 and a real thrower is needed as the 30L "low" mode seems to be the right choice for wworking conditions in the field/with patients. The Fenix is the right choice for map reading and other things like that where beams less than 20L are effectual. I work as a paramedic on an ambulance and in a SAR field unit.

I will write a review soon after it has arrived!

Best greetings

:welcome:

I will be eagerly awaiting your review! :thumbsup:

I hope to have the funds to buy mine by the end of the month. I hope!!!!!

fiftycalibre

Newly Enlightened

Just when I thought I was poor enough, a new light is released that will probably make me even poorer...

Tohuwabohu

Newly Enlightened

The Raptor RRT-2 does exist.
I got one today :grin2:.

rrt201verpackung.jpg

rrt202verpackunggeoeffn.jpg

rrt203vonlinks.jpg

rrt204vonrechts.jpg

rrt205vonschraeghinten.jpg

rrt206selektorring.jpg

rrt208zerlegt2.jpg

rrt209groessenvergleich.jpg

rrt210groessenvergleich.jpg

TonyBPD

Enlightened

What one do you like the best? I'm on the fence between the RRT-2, Olight and EagleTac.

TonyBPD

Enlightened

Which Olight and Eagletac's are you looking at, BTW Goinggear.com should have both Raptors in stock Monday.

The M20 Warrior and the T100C2. Looking for a new duty light (i'm a police officer).

Tohuwabohu

Newly Enlightened

What one do you like the best? I'm on the fence between the RRT-2, Olight and EagleTac.
I can't say much about the RRT-2 yet.
I only have it for some hours and it's not yet dark outside.

Between the T100C2 and the M20 I prefer the T100C2.
The Eagletac T100C2 has a much nicer beam than the Olight M20 and switching between the 2 modes is easier than switching the 4 modes (3 *brighness + strobe) of the M20.
The knurling of the Eagletac is better.

Flashlight Enthusiast

How is the selector ring is it to easy to switch modes or are the notches pretty good?

RGB_LED

Enlightened

Good question 276... I just got my Raptor RRT-1 and I found the selector ring, while having a good feel, is pretty easy to turn and a wee bit loose for my liking. Others have mentioned this as well.

I hope that the RRT-2 will have a more positive click when selecting light levels ie. more resistance.

If so, I may have to trade my RRT-1 for an RRT-2... :eek:

lightmyway

Newly Enlightened

Nice pictures Tohuwabohu,Just want me to order one, now i Can,t decide on the RRT1 or the RRT2.

wirehair

Newly Enlightened

Hi from New Zealand, been wanting to get me one of these but would like to see some beamshots (perfer outdoor at about 50m):whistle: so could some one please please put some up.
Cheers, Greg.

liquidsix

Enlightened

How is the selector ring is it to easy to switch modes or are the notches pretty good?

+1 How does that selector ring feel? Does it stick into notches for each node pretty well? Does it have nothes/detents? Is it loose (too loose?) or tight?

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good question 276... I just got my Raptor RRT-1 and I found the selector ring, while having a good feel, is pretty easy to turn and a wee bit loose for my liking. Others have mentioned this as well.

I hope that the RRT-2 will have a more positive click when selecting light levels ie. more resistance.

If so, I may have to trade my RRT-1 for an RRT-2... :eek:

I like my RRT-1 even on low it throws so far, and from the looks of the RRT-2 i am liken the looks of it more but the ring is the thing holding be back unless it really has been improved.

Flashlight Enthusiast

+1 How does that selector ring feel? Does it stick into notches for each node pretty well? Does it have nothes/detents? Is it loose (too loose?) or tight?

It's not too loose its just that i can accidentally change modes sometimes when i hold it in the tactical way, you can feel the indent when changing modes but its not enough to keep you from accidentally moving it.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree it's a beautiful light.

+2 to the 30 lumen "low" mode comments. Again Jetbeam swings and misses with their mode selection, I wish they'd just use the IBS interface with the selector ring and let us set a low low if we so desire.

The big thing I'm waiting on for this light though is the regulation on 18650, specifically in high mode. That will make or break a sale for me on this light I think.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Drop the blinky mode...add a way lower low...stick a MC-E in there...

And my wallet shall finally be emptied.

That`s one nice looking light...I like the look of the smaller head as compared to the Rapture 1. It`s hot. :naughty:

Tohuwabohu

Newly Enlightened

There is a spring loaded metal ball in the selector ring and detents in the adjectant part of the head.
I tried to take some photos.
The first one is showing the ball when a mode is selected and a part of the ball sticks into a detent:
rrt211selektorringeinge.jpg

The second photo was taken with the selector ring between two modes:
rrt212selektorringnicht.jpg

I like the way the selector ring feels but I can't say if it is better than that of the RRT-1 as I don't have one.

I agree it's a beautiful light.
Yes, it really is a beautiful light.
Machining and anodizing are really nice.
The 4 anodized parts of my RRT-2 all have slightly different colors but the complete light looks perfect because they are sorted form light at the front to dark at the tail.

The big thing I'm waiting on for this light though is the regulation on 18650, specifically in high mode. That will make or break a sale for me on this light I think.
I don't think you will like the regulation on high mode with a 18650.
I used a new 2600mAh flat top 18650 from AW for all runtimes
rrt2runtimehigh1x18650a.png

Runtime in medium mode is quite good.
rrt2runtimemed1x18650aw.png

The light uses PFM for output regulation, in low and medium mode in discontinous operation.
With a true constant current driver the runtime in medium and low mode could be better.
But it is already much better than the boost curcuit with PWM dimming used in the Jet-III Pro IBS.

In both modes the battery protection circuit did shut off the light.
I measured 3.16V after the high run and 3.12V after the low run.
The Eagletac T100C2 did not shut off, I stopped the measurement when the output dropped too low.

When the light is turned on with the clicky there is a short dim flash followed by a very short break before the light goes into the selected mode (including standby).

Current draw measured with a 18650 charged to 4.1V:
Standby 1.8mA
Low 100mA
Med 300mA
High 1080mA

I'm not sure if the description from Jetbeam is correct.
I think they copied it from the RRT-1 and did not adapt all details to the RRT-2.
'New hybrid reflector specially designed for CREE LED, which allows for better beam quality, efficiency and throw capability.'
Too me it looks like a plain smooth reflector with very visible rings in the beam.

Adjustable Focus design for fine tuning of beam pattern and distance
This is not mentioned in the operation manual and I didn't find a way to do it.

Anti roll design
It is one of my best rolling lights.
No clip, no grip ring and not even a lanyard attachment point.

Last edited:

TonyBPD

Enlightened

So what light has the better beam? The Jetbeam or the Eagle Tac? I need a new light!

dirtech

Enlightened

Tohuwabohu

Thanks for the valuable information.