JETBEAM ST CYCLER XM-L T6 - Cycle and Outdoor flashlight

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Hi Again,

I have just received confirmation from Antony from flashaholics.co.uk that they are now stocking the ST Cycler and this is available from their website.

Are you planning to use it for cycling? or for other outdoor activities?
It is so compact that you can use it as an EDC as well.
Luc:wave:

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that, yes I saw that it was available on their site so I will be ordering shortly :) I will be using it for cycling mainly but I will no doubt EDC it as well.
Once I've tried and tested it I'll let you know on here.

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
For readers in the UK and Europe, Flashaholics.co.uk is suppling his Jetbeam ST CYCLER with free bike mount, this is worth knowing!:thumbsup:

DM51

Flashaholic
Another very good review from you - excellent work! :clap:

I'll move it to the Reviews section, with a redirect left in the Bicycle section.

Edit: BTW, I trust you lubed the threads better than the brakes on your bike, lol.

Last edited:

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
""I'll move it to the Reviews section, with a redirect left in the Bicycle section.""

Thanks DM51, this is great news! :thumbsup:
Yep, sorry about the brake noise, this was a very damp night and my rotors where in need of cleaning!

I am still working on a stable cycle mounting to do more filming, so when I got this sorted, we will have a new video "minor brake noises, I hope!"

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Skyraider59
:wave:
Jetbeam ST CYCLER, III ST PRO BVC, BK135A; Nitecore EZ-AA; Solarforce M6, L2, L2P, L2R, L2M, L2i; Zebralight H50, H60, Dereelight CL-1H

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
Ok I have 2 of these lights now, because 1 just wasn't bright enough for my needs! but there are a couple of differences I've noticed between the 2 so here is what I have found. I haven't tried the new model out in the dark yet but I'm guessing it's going to have a bit more throw than the old one because of it's smooth reflector (see pic below), to me this is a bit better as I thought the older model was a little too floody for cycling off-road, but I need to test if this is the case or not yet.

For starters, there are now extra numbers under the JetBeam logo distinguishing this new model:
P1140028.JPG

You will see from this picture that the newer/latest model is very slightly taller than the old one:

P1140029.JPG

From this picture you will see that the thickness of the metal around the edge of the end cap is slightly thicker than the old one:

P1140031.JPG

I this pic you will see that the reflector is smooth in the newer model compared to the bumpy one on the old:

P1140030.JPG

In the below pic you will see that the threads have been changed slightly for some reason where the head screws on, it seems to make a tighter and more secure seal: New model on right.

P1140034.JPG

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I have 2 of these lights now, because 1 just wasn't bright enough for my needs! but there are a couple of differences I've noticed between the 2 so here is what I have found. I haven't tried the new model out in the dark yet but I'm guessing it's going to have a bit more throw than the old one because of it's smooth reflector (see pic below), to me this is a bit better as I thought the older model was a little too floody for cycling off-road, but I need to test if this is the case or not yet.

I this pic you will see that the reflector is smooth in the newer model compared to the bumpy one on the old:

P1140030.JPG

Will you be using these two side by side on your handlebar?

Interestingly, I'm now using a Klarus XT20 as my main handlebar light and although the test models they send out to reviewers had two smooth reflectors and the ones they show via their advertising photos show two orange peel reflectors, what has actually shipped is a mix of the two (one smooth and one orange peel reflector).

110903-083a.jpg

I'm using the Klarus XT like this (but I'm looking at the ST Cycler as a helmet light).

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
Until today, I had a ST Cycler and a Fenix TK11 on the handle bar, this gave me a mix of flood and throw, I also have a Fenix LD20 on my helmet.
Now I've got 2 ST Cyclers I'll have both of these plus the TK11 on the front, giving me 1090 Lumens on the handlebars plus the 200 on my helmet.

IMAG0580.jpg

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
I tested the newer version of the light out tonight and although it does have a slight dark spot in the middle of the spot, it does seem slightly brighter with slightly more throw. I took the below picture which is of all the lights on full - 2 x ST Cycler, TK11 R2, LD20 (1290 lumens total), the picture is from my mobile and really doesn't do the lights justice, they are a lot brighter than they look in the picture.

IMAG0728.jpg

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the additionnal information, I was not aware that they could supply the ST CYCLER with smooth or orange peel reflector, it would be interesting to see the beam difference if you can take some photos. We have been out this evening S-T MTB riding, I usually have my ST PRO BVC on my lid as this is a better thrower than the ST CYCLER, and the CYCLER on my bar, but this evening tried two floody, the CYCLER went on my LID and I used the Solarforce M6 on bar, plenty of flood lighting coming from the bigger head of the M6, but can not get the run time advertised and only has two usable mode. I did like the flood on my helmet, but would be interested to know If you think the smooth reflector increase the throw substantially?
J-L

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
I have taken many photos at night and it is very difficult to mimic what the eye can see, I have also done some fliming this evening on our ride and again the film is a lot darker than real live. J-L

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Varuscelli, the cycler is light, I have cycled with a Solarforce L2P on my lid, but much prefer the CYCLER, I have managed to adjust my helmet light fitting so that the CYCLER is just resting on top of my Giro, this way there is no gap for branches to get caught. Will try to remember to take a photo tomorow.
i would be interested to know the make of your T- bar extension for your lights, this look pretty steady! J-L

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would be interested to know the make of your T- bar extension for your lights, this look pretty steady! J-L

I have two Viewpoint Spacebars on the front. I don't think those are sold any longer (used to be available from Performance Bike). Something very similar is the Minoura Space Grip, although there seem to be several variations on the Minoura (some are exactly like the Viewpoint Spacebars, though). A better option than either of these (but MUCH more expensive) is the Nitto Lamp Holder (two or three versions of those,, too).

SantaClawz

Newly Enlightened
This flashlight and manufacturer are not quite as good as some people say. I bought an ST Cycler and right out of the box it didn't work, tried all kinds of different batteries and nothing. Before this light, another product I purchased from this manufacturer was an Intellicharge I4 charger and it too was malfunctioning. I'll never buy JetBeam products again, after being burned twice.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the additionnal information, I was not aware that they could supply the ST CYCLER with smooth or orange peel reflector, it would be interesting to see the beam difference if you can take some photos. We have been out this evening S-T MTB riding, I usually have my ST PRO BVC on my lid as this is a better thrower than the ST CYCLER, and the CYCLER on my bar, but this evening tried two floody, the CYCLER went on my LID and I used the Solarforce M6 on bar, plenty of flood lighting coming from the bigger head of the M6, but can not get the run time advertised and only has two usable mode. I did like the flood on my helmet, but would be interested to know If you think the smooth reflector increase the throw substantially?
J-L

Sorry about the delay in replying, only just seen this.

I've been using both lights on the front of my bike for a couple of weeks now and the difference between the smooth and orange peel reflector is negligible in real life scenarios, you can see the difference in beam types when shone at a wall but there's not much in it, apart from the smooth reflector has dark spot close to the middle of the hot spot.

So far I'm really pleased with both of the lights. I'm getting nearly 2 hours out of each light and they are on the highest setting for about 90% of my runs, the rest of the time they are on low or medium when I have to go on the roads, this is using AW 2300mah.

I've had no problems with heat at all, they are cool when I come to the end of my run, but it is cold here in the UK at night! I've also not had any problems with build quality or reliability, they have worked flawlessly so far.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to the OP and all who contributed to this thread. Very useful information!

minnstars

Newly Enlightened
I bike some, but not after dark ... Well maybe I will now???? But, I think this is much more then a cycle light! I ordered the ST Cycler is for geocaching, hiking, camping and it will probably end up being my EDC.

IMO this appears to be one of the best compact 1x18650 lights being sold right now and I'm already a happy owner of two other JetBeam lights, so I had no reservations about owning a third. More to come when I receive the light ... :)

Latest posts