JETBEAM ST CYCLER XM-L T6 - Cycle and Outdoor flashlight

minnstars

Newly Enlightened
I've had my ST Cycler for about a week now and I'm very pleased. But, I learned a valuable lesson once and for all about cheap (UltraFire) 18650 batteries when the ST Cycler began to malfunction shortly after I received it. I had problems with another light using these batteries and so I finally broke down and bought a few AW Protected cells. Maybe I got a bad batch of UltraFires, but all I know is the light has performed perfectly once I used an AW Cell.

The ST Cycler is a very well made and I find the UI fits my needs as a general purpose outdoor light even if I never use it for cycling. I intend to keep the light in my winter cost as an EDC, because the flashing beacon will keep me safe when I walk to my car parked on a busy street near my place of work on these dark winter nights in MN. But the light is a little longer then I expected, so once I shed my winter coat I don't think I will EDC this light year round.

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me if the Cycler is compatable with AW 18650 1300 [flat top] as I know some lights need the button top

Not sure about AW 1300, i THINK THIS COULD BE A MISS TYPE, ie AW 3100!

I use my AW 18650 2900 mah flat top in the cycler and an AW 2600 mah flat top in the ST PRO BVC, they both run well and give me extra run time to my normal Ultrafire Pink and Grey batteries.
I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO FINE OUT if you get longer run time with the AW 3100?

The runtime I did in the review was with the AW2600 (mistype in the graph, should read AW2600)

Best
J-L

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone tell me if the Cycler is compatable with AW 18650 1300 [flat top] as I know some lights need the button top

I raised this question and others with Jetbeam back in September 2011, this an extract of the reply I did get from Catherine at Jetbeam.

<<My colleague told me that according to the optimal circuit, the light
can take a maximum input voltage of up to 9V. So it is no problem in
using two CR123 or one 18650 rechargeable battery.>>

This is something I have NOT tried myself and their website in 2012 still quote CR123 x2 (which would be 6v), strange???
May be worth another e-mail to try to find out the reason why they do not advertise the fact.
Will let you know ASAP
Best
J-L

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Hi
did a short video of the warning lighting mode and turbo mode. It is always really hard to film and take photos at night, but I think this is pretty close to what my eyes can see.
Skyraider59

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Came across some photos I took last year,
ST CYCLER a sleek looking light!

IMG3061.jpg

IMG3057.jpg

C-channel

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the nice review. I have got the light also. Pleased with it so far. Very versatile light with high build quality. Kudos to Jetbeam.

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
just realized how this light and the Klarus zt2c look almost identical
I think the word "similar in looks" is a bit closer to the reality, I have not got a Klarus but have found a review with loads of photos and they are distinctly different.

For those using it for cycling, I have just purchased the Exposure Joystick helmet clamp (2007 onward version) and the Cycler fit the clamp without any problem. Until now I have been using the Cycler with a Towfish lock block, this worked well but unfortunately did not allow me to carry up and down/left and right adjustment, so I decided to buy the Exposure fitting. I will be trying it on a night MTB forest bike ride this Friday and will let you know how well this work.
I love the Cycler and feel that it has a very friendly cyclist interface. I have got night riders friends using the Exposure Joystick or Lezyne Superdrive and I would not swap my Cycler for them! The cycler has such a good combination and choice of modes and it double as a proper flashlight for my camping!
Great light

Last edited:

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Hi
Photos of my new mounting for the ST CYCLER
CYCLEREXPO1.jpg

The mounting is the EXposure Joystick/Diablo clamp, a very universal fitting as long as your flashlight has the right OD. The Jetbeam has a firm fit in it. (approx 24mm body OD)
CYCLEREXPO2.jpg

Below is the old towfish rubber block fit that I used for the last couple of years with the ST BVC and the ST CYCLER, this was OK as long as your lid had the right profile, unfortunately this did not work to my satisfaction with my new SixSixOne Recon helmet. The ST BVC is in the photo below.
CYCLERVELCRO.jpg

Bwolcott

Enlightened
I was referring to the looks (just realized how this light and the Klarus zt2c look almost identical)

I think the word "similar in looks" is a bit closer to the reality, I have not got a Klarus but have found a review with loads of photos and they are distinctly different.

For those using it for cycling, I have just purchased the Exposure Joystick helmet clamp (2007 onward version) and the Cycler fit the clamp without any problem. Until now I have been using the Cycler with a Towfish lock block, this worked well but unfortunately did not allow me to carry up and down/left and right adjustment, so I decided to buy the Exposure fitting. I will be trying it on a night MTB forest bike ride this Friday and will let you know how well this work.
I love the Cycler and feel that it has a very friendly cyclist interface. I have got night riders friends using the Exposure Joystick or Lezyne Superdrive and I would not swap my Cycler for them! The cycler has such a good combination and choice of modes and it double as a proper flashlight for my camping!
Great light

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Fenix AF-02 bike mount, with a Zebralight SC600, for my Bosch 36V battery powered lawn mower.
I want a floodly light; throw is not important.
Would the Jetbeam ST Cycler with its 25mm bezel be any floodier; in particular, would it give me a larger hotspot, and a wider spill?
My SC600 already has 750 lumens OTF.

Also, does anyone know of any bicycle mount that I can buy, to mount a Nitecore TM11 onto my lawn mower handle bar below?
I prefer not to have to buy a Magicshinelights MJ-880 2200 emitter lumens light.

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off topic to this thread, but a TwoFish Bikeblock (not one of the lockblocks, but a bikeblock) would work to hold the TM11 to the side part of the mower handle (but not the back part as you have with the Fenix mount). You could even use two bikeblocks back to back to hold the TM11 more securely (after all, that's a lot of mass represented by the TM11). The bikeblocks are a bit more substantial and wider than the lockblocks and can actually stretch enough to accommodate the wider girth of a TM11...even if not as solidly as you'd likely desire (but, two of them might do the trick nicely). You wouldn't have much leeway for adjusting the angle of the TM11 if mounted to the side bars of the mower handle, but you might not need much given the spread of the TM11 beam. You could always try to mount it close enough to the downward crook in the handle to get the angle you need. I'm not sure I'd want to subject the TM11 to the rigorous vibration testing a lawn mower would give it, though.

A bikeblock is what I show on the first page of this thread to mount flashlights to a bike helmet, and it's what I envisioned using for the Jetbeam ST Cycler if I ever end up getting one.

Also, does anyone know of any bicycle mount that I can buy, to mount a Nitecore TM11 onto my lawn mower handle bar below?

IMG_1339.jpg

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that Varuscelli.
I am now thinking about making my own mount, from a wooden board, two U-shaped screws/bars to wrap around the handle bar, and four nuts to secure the two U-shaped screws, plus a big U-shaped screw/bar to wrap around the TM11's body, and two more nuts to secure that.

Getting back to the topic, does anyone know how:
1) the hot spot brightness
2) the spill brightness,
3) the hot spot size,
4) the spill size,
of the Jetbeam ST Cycler compares to the Zebralight SC600???
If it is bigger then I'll buy the ST Cycler.
Otherwise, I may purchase another SC600 and another Fenix AF-02 bike mount.

The bike mounted flashlight combines really well with a headlamp, with its beam throwing further into the distance...

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
The Jetbeam twins
icon14.gif

My commuting cycle helmet (grey) used every day has the old Jetbeam III ST PRO BVC, the modes are set on flash for day light riding and continuous high for the cycling back home at night.

The white helmet used solely for mountain biking during our weekly organized night rides has the ST Cycler, again set on high.
Love the ST Cycler, great shape, modes, output and run time!

helmets.jpg

Skyraider59

Newly Enlightened
Done more runtime test on turbo, this time with an Int-outdoor, Panasonic 3100mAh battery, very different output than with the AW!
The fan was switched on at 8mn, note the increase in lux , for the Panasonic from In-Outdoor a constant output for 55mn then a very gradual decline, very different discharge line from the AW. By 2hours 25mn the low voltage system was activated as the ST Cycler started to flash. The light was switch off not to discharge the battery to much.
So with the Panasonic 3100mah, a much longer run time but with a lesser output, just shows how much difference a battery makes on output and run time of a flash light.
SR59
GRAPH2.jpg