Jetbeam tcr 01 is out

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
I returned by Ti+ and purchased the RRT-01. I don't have the TCR-01 but feel very comfortable in saying that the TCR-01 will be much better. The RRT-01 has a better feel and function than the Ti+. The jetbeam in this case is more polished and refined.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which Ti light is better: This Jetbeam TCR-01 or the Sunwayman V10R Ti+?

I was just looking at the Ti+, and these 2 seem really similar. They both supposedly go to 500L, they both have "magnetic control rings". The Ti+ can run on 16340's, and needs to to go to 500L, but I think the TCR-01 only takes 123's, as says batteryjunction....

After saying I think it's too expensive, I will probably end up buying the Sunwayman Ti+, if it seems better than this one, because it is about $22 cheaper. If not, I'll buy this one. Since they both go up to 500L, that can justify my decision to skip buying an 18650 light right now. Not that I'll probably need the 500L any time soon, but as long as its capable, then its not too much different than the 18650 one, except its smaller and more compact and therefore more practical!

I think Dealextreme might have some lights in stock that you will love...

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a question for you...

Does anyone else hear crackling sounds when twisting the ring? When I twist mine, I hear crackling sounds, like when live wires are touching each other. I know it's magnetic, but I hear crackling.

aau007

Enlightened

Does anyone else hear crackling sounds when twisting the ring? When I twist mine, I hear crackling sounds, like when live wires are touching each other. I know it's magnetic, but I hear crackling.

I do. Not sure what it is but I seriously doubt they are sparks.

aau007

Enlightened
Well, that was a short lived love affair...

OK. So I played your video while holding my light and did exactly you did. My light did not turn off for the entire duration of your video. I then turned off the light after your video stopped and my light was hardly warm to the touch. Using Ultrafire 16340.

fyrstormer

Banned
Hence why it would be easier to adjust the ring with one hand.
How do you figure? If the ring is on the tail, there's nothing behind the ring for you to hold on to while you turn the ring. You'd have to jam the ring into the palm of your hand to hold it still, and rotate the rest of the light with the tips of your fingers. Alternately you'd have to point the light at your own wrist so you could hold the light with your ring/pinky fingers and twist the ring with your thumb/forefinger.

Last edited:

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
Sounds like the crackling sound heave grease makes when pulled apart.

I have the aluminum version also and it seems like the ring has a very thin coat of grease (maybe not enough since it is gritty when turned). The Ti light feels packed and damped with grease and makes popping/cracking sounds at parts of the rotation. I think it is air bubbles popping in the heavy layer of grease (at least it feels much less gritty!).

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened

I saw i was beaten to it, but just confirming you're hearing the air bubbles in the thick grease used to give the ring the smooth bearing action. Same as on the SWM V10r.

...Tripped me out for a bit too till I figured it out. :p

fyrstormer

Banned
Pics! And mods! And pics of mods! (okay, just one mod.) :D

First of all, the Jetbeam TC-R1 benefits from a textured reflector just as much as every other flashlight ever made. Why anyone even tries to make a flashlight with a smooth reflector is beyond my comprehension, because if you really want a dedicated thrower you'll use an aspheric lense, and for all other applications textured reflectors produce nicer beams. So here's a TC-R1 with the stock reflector and another TC-R1 with a slightly-modded Arc6 (McR-18?) reflector:

CIMG5197.jpg

I don't need to tell you which is which. Now, here's a picture of the reflectors themselves.
CIMG5201b.png

It looks like the custom-fitted reflector is off-center, but that's an optical illusion; it just so happens the silicone dome on the LED is off-center while the emitter itself is perfectly-centered, which basically means there is zero effect on the beam pattern. It's a slight visual defect that has no functional consequences, so...meh.

Moving on, here's a comparison shot with my TC-R2 that I've been carrying for a year.
CIMG5202b.png

And here's another comparison shot, also including an Arc6, to show just how small the TC-R1 is.
CIMG5204.jpg

Remember when Piston-Drive was the only way to make a light this small that wasn't a battery-crusher? Time will tell what the real penalty is (i.e. shorter battery life) for ditching the hardware switch, but it sure saves space, and presumably eliminates the one moving part that might actually fail and cause the light to stop working

My only complaint is the clip. I didn't realize until I got the light that the head screws over the body, not into the body, so the clip scrapes against the surface of the head as you loosen and tighten the head. A light this small might not need a clip, but I see a market for a super-short clip that doesn't touch the head at all. In fact, I'll say in advance that I'll buy two if someone can make them.

And now...I should try some of this "sleep" I've heard so much about. :tired:

EDIT: The tints do not look like my beamshot shows them; I just couldn't find a color balance that captured the tints accurately. They look like typical XM-L tints, warmer in the middle and cooler around the edges.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The light is really too pretty to carry so I think I might buy the aluminum version as my edc.
That's the coolest aspect of titanium vs. aluminum - the former gets more beautiful the more it's used, the latter goes through a slow transformation into ugly. If you prefer beauty, use the Ti, if you like ugly, get the aluminum. :thumbsup:
I was hoping there was a spot to stick a trit on. :)
There is plenty of room for trits between all the pineapple knurling on the tube! :D

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a bummer. I have not heard of this happening to anyone else yet and hope this is an anomaly. I am sure Light Junction will swap it for you. I would send them an e mail now and call in the AM. Looks like they have 16 still in stock. Keep us posted on what happens.

It happened to my RRT01 - I even mentioned it in my sales post HERE. Like F250XLT, it did it regardless of cell - IMR16340, IMR18350, AW RCR 123, primary. It was a mild irritant, but not the reason I sold the light - I sold it because I LIKED IT SO MUCH :)duh2:) .......... that I ordered a TCR1 (due to arrive today.) And I have a couple of reflectors to play with to try and do what Scout and Fyrstormer (and others?) did to theirs - smooth the beam out.

How long do you really want to leave a tiny light on - on HIGH - 2+ amps? Little guy is bound to get really hot. Maybe it is supposed to switch off - who knows.

Maybe everyone who owns one can do what F250 (and I) did? Just rotate to max and wait? Incidentally, mind did it whether holding the light (extra heat sinking) or letting it sit untouched.

I'll be testing my TCR1 when it arrives and reporting back in. Whatever the case, this is an amazing little light, as much for how LOW it goes as for its blinding brightness!!

EDIT - my new light does not switch itself off...

Last edited:

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
My recent experiences with the last two new lights I ordered (Ti+ & TC-R1), has reinforced my thoughts as to why I typically don't buy new lights. I'd rather buy a like new on the secondary market...At least then you typically know what you're getting.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
So here is my attempt this morning, I put in a fresh Battery Station CR123 @ 3.2v. It stays on for a little more than 2 minutes, but if you skip to the end you'll see it comes back on right before I end the video.

fyrstormer

Banned
Wow, great pics fyrstormer. That TC-R2 still looks pristine after a year of carry. I'm kicking myself for not grabbing one when they were offered. Hopefully, JB follows up with a TC-R2 XM-L version.
The TC-R2 is a great light, to be sure. There is still the option of the Sunwayman V10R Ti+ though. Just need to get one of wquiles' delrin switch retaining rings to smooth-out the switch action, and that should be the end of any problems.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, mine is heading back to LJ tomorrow, I hope this is an isolated issue.