Jmpaul320 OTF Lumen Sphere Readings & throw measurements!

luxxlightsaber

Enlightened
Re: Jmpaul320 OTF Lumen Sphere Readings & throw measurements!

I deleted my post because I did not want to offend anyone. Things went a bit off topic and political. Lots of passionate things that many people have great ideas and opinions about but that can easily lead to arguements and misunderstandings. I have the upmost respect for anyone's opinion on these matters but this isn't the forum to discuss them.
Your right!!! Thanks for your hard work we will miss you!!!!!!

lumentia

Enlightened
Thirteen way off topic political posts were removed.

Bill
Wow I step away from the Internet for a day and look what happens lol.

jmpaul, for what it's worth I've enjoyed your informational and humorous posts here on cpf. Thanks for the light testing too!

charlieplanb

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I have an important announcement:
:) My goal is to get down to 5 lights or less!
:)
I was waiting for someone else to ask (maybe it's rude flashlight etiquette) but with all the lights that came across your hands , which are the ones you plan on keeping?

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was waiting for someone else to ask (maybe it's rude flashlight etiquette) but with all the lights that came across your hands , which are the ones you plan on keeping?

Right now the only one I am sure of is the zebralight sc62w

I have a few other very rare drop ins and 1 or 2 hosts I am keeping as well.

The others will probably be whatever doesn't sell LOL

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sphere shipped yesterday afternoon! She is on her way to vinh now!
Finally got a round to it! :) (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Anyway, thanks for your years of input, you will be missed by many people who value your input. I bearly know you, and I feel sad that you are entering reduced functionality mode, and that you are selling most of your lights, and that my fav light is not on your Keep List.

Anyway, a Meteor XPL DD is calling may name (or the other way around) so time soon for me to email Vinh to enquire about availability and payment method options. (I recoil from all electronic/plastic financial transactions, and prefer sending USPS Money Order).

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words Rich

I am not abandoning this hobby by any means, it is just entering a new phase. I am going back to being more of an enthusiast & user instead of a hardcore flashaholic/collector. Most of the lights I am selling have sat on my shelf with little or no use during most of their life. I did enjoy them as part of my collection and also to test them but now it is time to move them out and use the funds for something else (not sure what yet). I will still keep a few (5 or less) lights and some extremely rare stuff that has sentimental value (vinz drop ins, discontinued solarforces, etc).

If a light should come out that tickles my fancy, I wont hesitate to buy it!

I thought I would want a meteor m43 for sure - but the mm15vn is still king of "soup can" lights for me. I will probably hang on to the mm15vn for a while if not for good... but nothing is set in stone yet.

Maybe when the nichia 219c 90cri comes out the m43 will look more attractive to me. (83cri is out and has been tested with GREAT results).

Anyway- I will still hang around here and check threads as I normally do and chime in here and there. :)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Justin will still be here with us. He is just relocating funds to play with other toys. I have to sell a bunch of favorite lights too to funds other toys sometimes.

Don't worry he won't evaporate. He has to be around to educate me and add life to CPF :)

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Regarding the sphere I have gotten at least 5 request to take over measuring the all the numbers for me ;-)

I would like to play with the sphere first and see how time consuming it is. If its not too bad I will keep it so I can spit out numbers on the fly. If it takes too much time then I am going to have to send it to one of the volunteers. We will see :)

Freaking excited!!!

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding the sphere I have gotten at least 5 request to take over measuring the all the numbers for me ;-)

I would like to play with the sphere first and see how time consuming it is. If its not too bad I will keep it so I can spit out numbers on the fly. If it takes too much time then I am going to have to send it to one of the volunteers. We will see :)

Freaking excited!!!

it doesnt take long at all...once you charge the batteries and have a baffle made it takes literally 5 minutes.. then just recharge and test again to confirm if you like

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Vinh, we all trust you enough to not worry that you'll over represent the output on them.

Those who don't know you, would not have known jmpaul either...so, you doing the measurements yourself means less time spent mailing lights off for testing, and, the ability to use the sphere to tune the lights on the fly before release.

IE: You could SEE how much difference this amp or that amp output difference was, and adjust accordingly...as a developmental tool. Your dad, etc, would probably be able to do this for you too, and it would not involve smelting hot metal in barefeet, etc.

You could also just add a vid of you doing the measurements if you wanted to, as you know how we love vids....but that would be 100% optional, etc.

:D

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Vinh, we all trust you enough to not worry that you'll over represent the output on them.

Those who don't know you, would not have known jmpaul either...so, you doing the measurements yourself means less time spent mailing lights off for testing, and, the ability to use the sphere to tune the lights on the fly before release.

IE: You could SEE how much difference this amp or that amp output difference was, and adjust accordingly...as a developmental tool. Your dad, etc, would probably be able to do this for you too, and it would not involve smelting hot metal in barefeet, etc.

You could also just add a vid of you doing the measurements if you wanted to, as you know how we love vids....but that would be 100% optional, etc.

:D

Love your spirit!

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with TEEJ, being able to test different combos on the fly is only going to make your products better.

lumentia

Enlightened
I was that close to offering helping you with testing, but figured you'd realize it was best if you do it (to help as a developmental tool as TEEJ suggested above). You'll also be able to get baselines on stock lights to see if it's worth boosting or not without having to wait.

onthelake

Newly Enlightened
Right now the only one I am sure of is the zebralight sc62w

I have a few other very rare drop ins and 1 or 2 hosts I am keeping as well.

The others will probably be whatever doesn't sell LOL

It's a sad day to see such a wonderful contributor to the CPF community find other interests to occupy his time. I am in the same boat, though I only sold a few lights that I deemed would be of more use to someone else. The rest are sitting in the basement collecting dust, waiting for me to one day change my mind.

I still pop in here every few months, but my interest has wained. I wonder if it is because the innovations have slowed or if ready made lights have gotten *gasp* good enough. Like you, my goto light is a zebralight sc62w. It is plenty bright, or, low for that matter and I don't really care how beat up it gets as I know I can always just buy a new one.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and keep on enjoying life.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a sad day to see such a wonderful contributor to the CPF community find other interests to occupy his time. I am in the same boat, though I only sold a few lights that I deemed would be of more use to someone else. The rest are sitting in the basement collecting dust, waiting for me to one day change my mind.

I still pop in here every few months, but my interest has wained. I wonder if it is because the innovations have slowed or if ready made lights have gotten *gasp* good enough. Like you, my goto light is a zebralight sc62w. It is plenty bright, or, low for that matter and I don't really care how beat up it gets as I know I can always just buy a new one.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and keep on enjoying life.

thanks!

many of the lights I have - went privately over Pm and email

there was one guy who bought over $1000 who wished to remain anon. Still have many for sale but I need to restock shipping supplies lol

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
So, 40 pages in... and what I'd like to know is what is Vinh's and jmpaul's single favorite light out of all the ones that you have built/modded or tested? If you had to pick just one... which would it be? :D

Latest posts