K40Mvn vs. X40vn

TEEJ

Flashaholic
In this cage...do lumens, UI, tint, or cd win?

It's apples and oranges

Last edited:

MIKES250R

Enlightened
Hmm...Stock K40M 3000 lumens,65,000 cd or 500M of throw with MT-G2, and the X40 comes from the factory with 3480 lumens, 72,000 cd and 518M of throw with an XM-L2 emitter. Maybe not apples to oranges, but given the beam characteristics of the MT-G2 vs. 3 XM-L2s, stock these lights should be similar in performance. On paper I have the X40 winning. The real question is which one has more potential for Vinh to work his magic. This would be better with girls in skimpy bikinis between rounds.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Do you own an mtg2 light?,maybe worth thinking about if not:thumbsup: imo its a great led,great tint.............

So i would sway towards the k40Mvn.

I dont think you would go wrong with either tbh.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hmm...Stock K40M 3000 lumens,65,000 cd or 500M of throw with MT-G2, and the X40 comes from the factory with 3480 lumens, 72,000 cd and 518M of throw with an XM-L2 emitter. Maybe not apples to oranges, but given the beam characteristics of the MT-G2 vs. 3 XM-L2s, stock these lights should be similar in performance. On paper I have the X40 winning. The real question is which one has more potential for Vinh to work his magic. This would be better with girls in skimpy bikinis between rounds.

LOL

Why, in a fantasy scenario, IE: You are making it all up, and, it will never REALLY happen (OK, a cage match between FLASHLIGHTS?) you even bother with bikinis on the girls?

:thinking:

MIKES250R

Enlightened
I don't own an MT-G2 but have an X40vn on the way. More beam shots of the K40Mvn would be nice.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is an interesting thread.

I have several multi led lights and their main useage are as high lumens more floody area lighting.
The single led lights no matter lesser lumens in the given same diameter head have easily out throw the multiple led lights.
Exception to multiple aspheric led light.
The beam cone profile are more define on the single led.

I m assuming the K40Mvn would have more Lux compared to the X40Mvn. Think there was a range test, for the K40vn vs the X40vn similar in concept but not the same as light mentioned by OP.
Hopefully real outdoor tester like Capo and rdrfronty could chime in :wave:

Last edited:

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The single led lights no matter lesser lumens in the given same diameter head have easily out throw the multiple led lights.
Sound logic except when discussing the MT-G2. With a die approximately 5 times the size of the xm-l2, it's not gonna be a throwy light regardless. Think of a reflector 5 times the size of the K40..... probably not gonna happen.

The X40vn will out-throw the K40m by a good margin - confirmed by Vinh. I just got an X40vn dome-on, and I was shocked at the throwy nature of the light even though it is a 3 x XML light.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im still trying to digest if the 3x Xml2 out throw the single MTG2, cause the only MTG2 light I have is the MM15vn.
Hopefully there would be a side by side comparison beamshot between the X40vn and the K40Mvn.
I was ready to pull the trigger on the K40Mvn but this thread made me rethink. Have the K50vn and the magnetic usb charging is really usefull.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the k40mvn have magnetic charger?
I just bought one and I didn't hear anything about it.

I got it because I'm in love with my mx25l3vn which is single dedomed mtg2. The k40mvn is supposed to crush it in performance. Definitely not meant to be a thrower. Single mtg2 are more general purpose lights.
My mx25l3vn does travel well, but the area it illuminates is insane. The k40mvn I wouldn't consider a flood light, but it's going to illuminate a huge area for a good distance.
The triple xml2 hotspot is much more concentrated. Like the tk75vnkt. Very tight hotspot even with multiple emitters.
The x40vn has the same characteristics. The k40mvn may not travel quite as far, but it's going to be much more light where you want it.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The XML2 out throw the MTG2 due to smaller die size, etc. The MTG2's forte is massive lumen output, but in a neutral white flood.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comparing the pictures of both lights from supbeam website, the k40m does not have the USB charging like the x40m.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The k40mvn is supposed to crush it in performance.

So the X40vn pushes emitters at 4.0A each for ~4,200 lumen total. Is the K40Mvn going to have more than 4,200 lumens?

Last edited:

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
My k40mvn is out for delivery today :D

My mx25l3vn is 3000lm and it's driven less than the k40mvn.
Vinh says the tn35vn and k40mvn have the same led lumens , but the k40mvn has more otf lumens. I'll compare to all my lights tonight.
My tk75vnkt should be around 4000lm. Will be interesting.

MIKES250R

Enlightened
I am surprised the X40 does not get more love. I think it may be one of the best kept secrets out there. I took out my X40vn last night and it still amazes me every time I use it. The X40vn is so small yet so powerful, it's power to weight ratio is incredible. It has a beautiful, natural warm tint, with 4200 lumens, magnetic variable output control ring, on board charger. This is why this light resides by my bed. If something goes bump in the night, in one hand will be m X40vn, and in my other hand will be my PX4 40 caliber.

RichS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely love my X40vn... simply an amazing light. 4,200 lumens of throwy light in this form factor is just ridiculous.... absolutely love the indicator light for battery state too. Being able to put that little magnet on the back of it to charge it? priceless...

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just took the k40mvn out for a spin last night.
The amount of flood is huge, and it can out all that light down range pretty well with the deep smooth reflector.
I'm very impressed.
The x40vn is going to be a much tighter, more throwy beam, while the k40mvn is going to have an immensely wide beam, but can still throw it pretty well . Of course not as much, but currently, I have no mtg2 that will throw this far.
Having the 6 modes is great too. At 4 it's getting painful indoors, and when you reach 6 it's just incredible.
When performing a cieling bounce, It's just as bright as my tk75vnkt, and Shockervn, both dedomed around 4000lm . The k40mvn was supposed to come dedomed, but didn't. After testing my first dome on mtg2, I can say even though I love warm tint, the crazy brightness of the mtg2 with dome, is hard to argue.

I compared it to my other single mtg2 mx25l3vn and performance wise it crushes it completely. I personally love the mx25l3vn, but in terms of output, the k40mvn just has the muscle.
Compared to my tk75vnkt (pretty close to the x40vn.... Sorta ;) ) the size of the hotspot was the immediate difference. The tk75vnkt was tight and very intense.
The k40mvn was huge, and even being so much bigger hotspot, was just as intense.

Taken outside, it was blanketing both sides of my street with very bright light, while the tk75vnkt shot right up the middle, and kept on going of course. Both lights reached everything in my test, so I can't really call just how well the k40mvn throws.

For general purpose, and situations where you need a huge area illuminated, at a good distance ( to be determined after more testing)this is the light you want to bring.

Last edited: