Kayaking light help?

new-b

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I paddle surfskis (fast thin kayak) and one man outrigger canoes at 5 am (dark-thirty), 2-3 times per week (crazy, but I have 3 kids and little time). I have been using princeton tech headlights, but they seem to fail pretty quick secondary to salt corrosion. I am looking for something more durable and definitely waterproof. I would like it to last. Any suggestions? Zebra? Surefire? Other? Thanks in advance.

Josh

hopkins

Enlightened
The people the sail around the world solo get all sorts of products for free
as long as they use them. You may find the right headlamp on the list of products those stout souls have used. Other than that some mil spec
crazy expensive light would be on the list.

An alternate is to goop with silicone sealant the headlamp assembly of a regular
'water resistant' headlamp hoping to keep the salt out. the battery case would be the weakest link then

Is there not some sort of spray on coatings that can be applied to electronic components to act as a barrier against salt water etc. resin based?
Guess you could save money that way. a DIY ocean rated headlamp.

Also an alternate solution would be mounting a tube flashlight -AA or CR123
batteries- to a headband. Some of those have good seals and are only
$20-$30. Less holes for salt water to get in etc.

hurricane

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I paddle surfskis (fast thin kayak) and one man outrigger canoes at 5 am (dark-thirty), 2-3 times per week (crazy, but I have 3 kids and little time). I have been using princeton tech headlights, but they seem to fail pretty quick secondary to salt corrosion. I am looking for something more durable and definitely waterproof. I would like it to last. Any suggestions? Zebra? Surefire? Other? Thanks in advance.

Josh

Tough one ...

Off the top of my head, I'd say a Petzl Duo series headlamp. They're waterproof to 5 meters. When you get home, hose it off in the kitchen sink. They even make a remote battery pack set-up if you want to move some weight from your head to your waist. Old technology nowadays, but they're tough lights, I've had one for around 10 years.

http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/duo-series/duo-led-14-accu

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might be able to go with a Zebralight - the new one with the reflector. Do not get the optic pure flood one as it is fantastic for task lighting which also means not capable of distance.
Rinse the salt off your gear each morning and should be no corrosion issues. (It really is a nice closed unit.

UK (Underwater Kinetics) has a UK Vison model it lists as waterproof to 10 meters*. This is a 3aaa model, all one piece at the front of the head. It probably uses a many generation old emitter. IIRC it's made for pre-post diving, to be stowed in dive bouy's or float bags while dive in-progress.
Princeton Tec has a 'Predator' headlamp, again all one unit at the front, longish flat rectangle with the light head a short cylindar perpendicular and in the center. iirc 4AA's in a 2 abreast 2 end-to-end config, lists as waterproof 200 feet but that seems like a typo to me.

OMS (diving gear) also has a 3aaa one-unit headlamp advertised as being wearable as a goodman unit (wrist mounted) instead.

A few of the lighter UK models can be strapped and worn at the side of the head, excellent food for modding up the dated emitters.

More info on how yours have been failing, pictures, description etc. You can really increase our knowledge base with as much feedback from past performance.

Best,
Linger

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sea water, that's a toughie.
I would naturally go for titanium unless it's proven lights that can withstand salt and moisture, like Barbolight. Unfortunately, they don't have headlamps.

There's a new titanium headlamp in town called Fireworm H1 which claims to be highly water and impact resistant. I don't have it and no review has been made so far, so I'm not sure if it is what it claimed. But you could keep an eye out for it.... or get it to try it out.

GRunner

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

As new-b is very concerned about water proofness, I want to make a correction to post #4 by Linger. On their website UK lists the 3AAA eLED Vizion headlamp to be waterproof to 10 meters not 10 feet. As a non dive rated light that's deeper than any headlight I'm aware of, but I'll admit I don't know too much.

It further states High = 42 lumens for 5 hours, Low = 19 lumens for 12 hours.

It may not be the newest or brightest but it does sound waterproof. I hope this helps you.

Bye for now.

Doug3581

Newly Enlightened
I had this same question... just bought a sea kayak and wanted some lights in case I end up on the water in the dark. I am very-much inland (St Louis MO/USA area) so salt isn't an issue.

I looked at all the climbing headlamps I could find, they are meant for mountaineering and none I found were really submersible. A few are rated for 1 (one) meter. I didn't bother looking for anything priced beyond $75-$100 though; I don't feel it's worth spending a zillion bucks on, when there are $20 flashlights that are well-proven to be tough & waterproof already.

I decided to carry a couple Pelican Mightylight 4AA's ($20 each) and velcro-tie them to a old Mini-mag-lite head strap I have; they're not very powerful but good enough for smooth-water kayak speeds and that way I can put both lights on there--one on each side--and use one or both as I need. For the boat I'll stick a couple Pelican Miniflashers ($10 each) on it.

Even at that,,,, if there's any other really great light that is waterproof to at least 100 ft/30 meters and that doesn't cost a fortune, I'd like to hear about it. ;) But i would need to cost not-much-more and work a lot better than the Pelicans, and I just ain't holding my breath.
~

outer limits

Newly Enlightened
Check on your local regulation! Although overall I only have to carry a flashlight to prevent collision local bylaws are often tighter. I used to go out a lot at night when my children were smaller. I have been out at 2am when the police launch has come over because they could not recognise the light. I used to run a helogen on a poll off a gel cell which was in a watertight box. I have now changed the helogen to a LED run off 3AA with two modes. High to make myself seen by other boats and low to stay in contact with other people I might be paddling with but not wanting to be antisocial. You can get fancy and make a magnetic switch but I just have a cover over the toggle. There are some good 360 degree lens's for LED but too expensive for me.