KD SSC P7 Drivers - Whats wrong with them !

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought two of this drivers and they both didn't work. I'll never buy drivers from DX and KD again. The reflectors and lenses are great but the drivers just suck :sigh:.

rayman

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand, this driver was not particularly good for me either. About the only drivers I really like from DX/KD are the 7135 chip set type. I have had good luck with these because there just isn't a lot to them.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought two of this drivers and they both didn't work. I'll never buy drivers from DX and KD again. The reflectors and lenses are great but the drivers just suck :sigh:.
With respect, it sounds like you just didn't choose good drivers. Some of the DX drivers are great, at least if used for what they're suited for.

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had two of the second drivers the threadstarter mentioned. The first one had only one low mode and the second one had a really low PWM frequenc, looked like 10 Hertz :thinking:.
I don't want to make all drivers from KD and DX bad but it just didn't work for me.

@vestureofblood
Yes, you're right. This worked also fine for me.

rayman

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
I must have gotten lucky. I only bought one of the first one linked (the $7.99 one) and it works perfectly. I have it running an MC-E from two LiFePO4 18650 batteries in series. I didn't use anything more to heatsink it than the gray gummy pad it came with. Maybe the Vin range specified is just too ambitious.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with both of your statements. The driver I have is the second one, and I thinks the vin is ambitious. I was only using 2 li-ion to power mine, they were standard (LICO? whatever) cells, so a bit higher voltage, but still had issues.

I also agree with the fact that you scored:grin2:

blackdragonx1186

Newly Enlightened
it just seems to me that people are getting unlucky with these. as i stated earlier, i have had no issues what-so ever with these. the ones i used recently were for local PD, and they have done nothing but compliment and recommend to other officers.

outer limits

Newly Enlightened
I am not that up on all the ins and out of the electronics but I have just got one of these and had a play around with it. Very Very :( dissapointed the efficiancy is very poor on the lower settings and the switching between modes seems to be a low voltage issue rather than heat. I can run it at a higher voltage using a power supply and the driver gets very hot in only a matter of 30 sec. If I then back the voltage off and try again mine started switching modes at about 7.2volts. I now dont know what driver to go for?

rufusbduck

Newly Enlightened
This one

and this one

These are the two KD drivers I have tried to use with a SSC P7 Mag mod .

"Auto-alarm towards high temperature,then switch to low mode automatically"

Here lies the problem , after 30 seconds on high the driver switches to low mode , and then your lucky to get 10 second bursts on high .

It just plain sux , both drivers used suffer from this problem , you can only
run low mode for more than 30 seconds , both medium and Hi will switch to
low mode after 30 or so seconds .

I have been using these drivers for a year now and only recently discovered this problem when I tried to wire a remote switch for a bike light. I found that the problem was not one of heatsinking but input voltage. I had modded some 6v mr11 lights to run a triple Cree xre in parallel~900mA per die using the stock 6v nimh battery. Worked fine on the helmet light but with a remote switch between the battery and the lamp I experienced exactly the problem described above. The solution turned up when I used an 8.4v nimh battery I had put together for another lamp and it worked to perfection with no annoying switching to low. Tried it again with a 7.2v nimh battery and it also worked fine. This leads me to think that while 12-15v is too much for these units, 5.5-6.5v is not enough to cover losses in the driver and longer wires that are typically 24-26awg. Hope this helps.

Now I did try to locate the components that got WARM , not hot , but warm .
Thats right , the driver does not get that hot , I pulled the heatsink out of my mag and ran it with everything hanging out so I could shove my fingers all over the driver to see what was getting hot [ WARM ] .

I even tried to heatsink the parts that warmed up .

2yn2lih.jpg

Made no difference what so ever :
It would seem these drivers just plain suck ! and I hope some one from KD reads this and hopefully asks for the temp feature to be removed from the driver/s .

Next , the new DX SSC P7 drivers [ just ordered ]

So - Word !