Keeping older CR123A/non-18650 lights, worth it?

msnbcnnbcbs

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,I have a fenix TK10 and a PD30. Neither flashlight supports 18650's, and the AW RCR123A's seem to have dissapeared from most sites. I only saw them in stock at one place and they were $10+ each.

Given that CR123A's are $1.25+ at their cheapest, is it still worth spending 20-30$ to stock up for these older lights? Both still work fine, but they are both sub-300 lumen, and their runtimes don't compare to modern lights.

I'm finding it harder to justify the battery cost...Anyone come across this dilemma?

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Other folks offering 16340s, but I would stick to brand names (olight, nitecore for example, both available at battery junction) & not xxxxfire.

Joined Dec 2005 & this is your first post?

I've got some 16340 / cr123 lights, most of them are smaller than 18650 lights, but the 18650 based lights are getting pretty small too.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a pair of old Fenix PD20 lights, cr123a x 1.

I justify keeping them because of massive CR123a shelf life and they mostly have done bug-out-bag duty after I upgraded.

No plans to ditch them, may even mod one of them at some point. We'll see. Driver and emitter swap = totally new refreshed light ready to be obsoleted in 18 months.

Having the latest and greatest is a cruel mistress.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hedged my bet by purchasing a full case of 123 cells The shelf life was one reason to buy in bulk and save some bucks on shipping just in case shipping costs $$$ go up.

msnbcnnbcbs

Newly Enlightened
Joined Dec 2005 & this is your first post?

Back then you couldn't search without being logged in :)

So keep 'em huh....I priced 24 CR123A's at about 30$ on battery junction...For rechargeables I only see Tenergy and Nitecore.

Did they stop making the AW's?

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight, EagleTac, or Efest 16340's (RCR123A) should be easy to obtain. I have two single CR123A lights that will use either a CR123A primary or 16340. I use a 16340 rechargeable battery in them most of the time. I do keep around 20 new CR123A's.............but they don't get used up. If I go camping or backpacking, I will take a little carry case that holds 2 spare CR123A batteries. I like em because they are so light and long expiration date.............but for the most part around home, I'll just use the rechargeable's.

Last edited:

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did they stop making the AW's?

AWs are still around

Lighthound has them (argg 16340s out of stock)
Mountain Electronics has Xtar 16340s (not the mountain electronics coin operated...)
Battery junction has xtar, nitecore, olight
Oveready has the imrs (AW)

I would stay away from ultxxfire, , but the olight, nitecore, xtar & (I hope) efest - I say this because I've bought a bunch of efest lately should be fine.

If you have been out of the loop lately, the imr are a little lower caapcity but are "safer", although if you are running something direct drive there is the possibility you may supply too much amperage to the LED. The imr are "high drain capable" batteries.

Echoing the above, it's nice to have a light that tekes rechargeable Li ions and primaries. Great backup.

Although - I travel ALOT and the light I ALWAYS have with me is a SWM AA with 12 trits in the bezel (great to find on night stand at night), it travels wiht a 14500 Li ion it it, but it will take a Li ion primary, eneloop, and regular AA, so wherever I am in the world I'll be able to get a battery for it, or recharge or, .... It also has a XPG CRI in it, beautiful tint....

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,I have a fenix TK10 and a PD30. Neither flashlight supports 18650's, and the AW RCR123A's seem to have dissapeared from most sites. I only saw them in stock at one place and they were $10+ each.

Given that CR123A's are $1.25+ at their cheapest, is it still worth spending 20-30$ to stock up for these older lights? Both still work fine, but they are both sub-300 lumen, and their runtimes don't compare to modern lights.

I'm finding it harder to justify the battery cost...Anyone come across this dilemma?

Why can't you buy a 16650, or 17670 li-ion cell and use it with your PD30 and TK10, which both run on 2x3v CR123As?

Two 16340s will probably blow the driver, but one 4.2v cell should be adequate. You can get two K2 Energy 3.0v cells and run them, but I'd feel safer running a Sanyo 2500mAh 4.35v ZTA.

Chris

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
..............Two 16340s will probably blow the driver, but one 4.2v cell should be adequate. You can get two K2 Energy 3.0v cells and run them, but I'd feel safer running a Sanyo 2500mAh 4.35v ZTA.

Chris
I wasn't paying attention to the models. 2xCR123A, that can't fit a 18650 battery is my least favorite configuration. Like Chris says, check the specs to see if they can handle the voltage of two freshly charged 16340 batteries (8.40v). Me personally, I'd probably sell 'em and get something newer...........but then that's what I've been doing for 10 years :D.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a G2 and a 6P, both with LED drop ins, that are using 17650 cells just fine. Actually, the Nichia 219B drop in is 4.2v, so will only run with a rechargeable. Two CR123 cells would let all the magic blue smoke out.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Nichia 219B drop in is 4.2v, so will only run with a rechargeable. Two CR123 cells would let all the magic blue smoke out.

The double-edged sword of P60. Newbies beware, it's very easy to let out the "magic smoke." Magic smoke from electronics is to be avoided. :)

We all must struggle to remember exactly what dropin was in there versus the cells we throw in there. Even the old heads have burned something before, probably.