KEL-LITE INDUSTRIES

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, glad you found it. It's old enough to have the "thin" switch but not so old as to be from the San Dumas run. So do we have any independent confirmation the Radio Shack lights exist? I dug through all the old catalogs a while back and couldn't find any aluminum lights until the 1990s had some Mag copies.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Cool, glad you found it. It's old enough to have the "thin" switch but not so old as to be from the San Dumas run. So do we have any independent confirmation the Radio Shack lights exist? I dug through all the old catalogs a while back and couldn't find any aluminum lights until the 1990s had some Mag copies.
I emailed Don Keller and asked him. He said "yes, and they were junk". He said they had the medium head and first gen slider switch. See, I thought what my dad had was a medium head on a 1st gen body but Don said the medium head did not come out until the second gen.
If I recall correct he said around 1980 when Radio Shack did theirs. And my pop may have had one. I suppose unless we find it stashed somewhere I'll never know for sure.

Mr. Keller said he was building 10 first gen's with medium head for a hollywood movie and asked if I'd be interested in one as well. Figuring I'd have a copy of my dad's old long-since-gone one I said "heck yeah", plus it was assembled by Don Keller himself.

Anyway, yes Mr. Keller said that Radio Shack had made a knock off version but dawg gone if I could find one when I was looking. I did find their Code 4 knock off. If the Kel-Lite knock off was the same quailty as their Code 4 we aint missing much.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you say Code-4 knockoff I'm guessing you mean the ones with the ribbed bodies from the late 1990s? I believe those were made by Nordic. They used designs similar to the GT Price lineup but made in Taiwan.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
👆 I suppose so Abtomat.
At one point GT Price made the LA Screw lights less durable. They did produce a clicky so I'll give them that.
Don't know if Radio Shack bought the rights to produce the Code 4 but if I'm not mistaken Brinkmann did. Yet they made it even more junky than the Radio Shack version.