KEL-LITE INDUSTRIES

SG688

Newly Enlightened
I finally reposted the pictures that were lost when my hosting service went away. btt.

Boudreaux

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, SG688, for reposting the pics!

I recently acquired a
KEL-LITE BATONLITE (Patent No. 3737649), Model # BTL-18,
Serial Number C0050769, Stainless Steel Head, 5C with extender.
Pictures to follow soon.

Your Post #21
KEL-LITE ACCESSORIES
It is shown as a Model # "K-CBL-18"; however mine is clearly stamped "BTL-18"

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights were often marked differently than the catalogs. It was a fairly loose operation for a long time.

My Batonlites are all marked "BTL." Even in the 1972 catalog they appear as C-BL models.

stevem_uk

Newly Enlightened
Just tiding through some of my old stuff making room for the holiday guests and found my KEL-LITE, served me well for several years but had do swap it for the Mag-Lite when I needed more lite.

Strange thing is I can remember some of the dings in it but cannot place how or where I bought it.

Medium head plastic slide switch, flat base with Barstow production site marked on it serial number 6592071. Never seen another in the UK but with such a high serial number must be some over here, anyone able to date it.

steve

Billy Ram

Enlightened
One of the toughest lights I've had was a early model Streamlight 5 D cell that came with a bright halogen bulb. It had a med. head and no knurling on the body or tail cap. The switch boot was like a bulls eye. It was the brightest thing you could get back then besides a Big Jim sealed beam.
Billy

merrimac

Newly Enlightened
Just tiding through some of my old stuff making room for the holiday guests and found my KEL-LITE, served me well for several years but had do swap it for the Mag-Lite when I needed more lite.

Strange thing is I can remember some of the dings in it but cannot place how or where I bought it.

Medium head plastic slide switch, flat base with Barstow production site marked on it serial number 6592071. Never seen another in the UK but with such a high serial number must be some over here, anyone able to date it.

steve
I have DA912691, Barststow, new early 1979 issued by Miami P.D. (never been used)

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

steve

This is a C-cell light, right? I have a few in that range. One's over 9800000. I assume that the numbers don't correlate directly to production quantity. Mid '70s probably.

stevem_uk

Newly Enlightened
Hi Abtomat

Yes a 4 C-cell model with squared off end cap. This must have been a mail order purchase, with some belt rig, possibly Safariland.

Steve

Boudreaux

Newly Enlightened
These are two posts from flashlightmuseum.com. These are only two of the 99 comments listed under 5 Cell Law Enforcement Kel-Lite. Several years ago Andy Studer purchased the entire Kel-Lite Industries Inc. Collection from the original maker/designer Norman Nelson. I felt some of you may be interested in this information.

[SIZE=-1]Andy on Mar 14, 2008 - 5:23 PM [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]about 2 years ago I purchased the entire KEL-LIGHT Industries Inc. Collection from the original maker/designer Norman Nelson. Not knowing much about the product just liking antiques. I purchased the machines, and all product left from the production facility. I also have all replacement parts for most KEL-LITE products Plus all Prototypes produced and not, starting from 1948. If anyone needs Parts or repair I have the capabilities. I also have the tooling and molds to make new of what is a great product. This is not my buisness just a hobby! [email protected] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Andy Studer on Apr 8, 2010 - 9:23 AM [/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]I still have a huge amount of parts for all Kel-lites , and about 50 kel-lites intacked most working ,half new or like new. I have been repairing and reviving about 4 kel-lites a month just off of the posts that I left on here about 2 years ago. email me with you issues , I may be able to help. I am interested in selling all of my inventory so email for pictures. [email protected] Thank you and lets get these icons back in service , Andy [/SIZE]

dvb288

Newly Enlightened
Found this old ad from Desert Mag from 1968. You've gotta love those 1968 prices:

"Heavy-Duty Flashlight
Young deputy sheriff Don Keller's
new idea in flashlights fills so obvious
a need it seems long overdue.
How many flashlights have you
ruined by merely dropping them on
the rocks? Peace officers go through
a couple dozen flashlights every
year. Keller's research resulted in
an extremely tough unit made of
aluminum alloy with 3/16" wall
thickness, an unbreakable lexan lens,
a nylon swich cap and an extra-wide
"Elector that throws a powerful pinpoint
beam. To demonstrate, Keller
slammed the new Kel-Lite flashlight
against a wood-rail fence. It sustained
no damage and still worked
perfectly. The exterior of this black
anodized light has been knurled to
give it a pebbly-looking no-slip grip.
Three sizes are available: a 3-cell for
$14.50; 4-cell at $15.50; and a powerful
5-cell at $16.50. Search-and-
Rescue teams, outdoorsmen, and
peace officers will find it a solid product.
Order from Kel-Lite Industries,
P.O. Box 424, San Dimas, Calif.
91773."

sarens

Newly Enlightened
Re: KEL-LITE INDUSTRIES - Flashlights

Kel-Lite was founded 1968-69, Don Keller left in 1972 and the company moved from Covina to Barstow, eventually went under and was bought out by Streamlight around 1983.

The metal combination switches started about 1976 and the medium head followed. Yours is probably towards to the end of the production run due to the knurled tailcap. Those were late on the scene. Also could be a replacement part--they were sold as spares.

The market prices of these things have been going up over the last couple years due to a couple very determined collectors, now it's fairly crazy. Ones that are for sale out of the spotlight (no pun intended) rarely attact much action and are usually $10 flashlights.

About a third of these are Kel-Lites, although the photo's now almost two years out of date.

lights9plus.jpg

sarens

Newly Enlightened
I have a question to any antique value to these old Flashlights?
mine is #C0058839 made in Barstow, California.
Thanks
Steve

H-2 CHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
I have a early 5 cell D kel-lite unit it says SAN DIMAS and has no ser. # it does have a slide switch and was factory ingraved with my uncles name on it . i need some new parts . What is this early light worth ?

H-2 CHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
cool , i got it repaired myself after blowing a few bulbs out . could not figure what happened but its working great now a 5 cell kel-lite with san dimas on it .