Your info is right on, don't know where you got it but, good work

Don Keller
[email protected]
progress.gif

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: Don!

(Are you the Don Keller of B-lite, Kel-lite, and Maglite fame?) :bow:

Don't forget the Pro-Light, Brinkmann Legend, and I believe ASP Triad.

Welcome aboard, Don. Your products have been a great interest of mine for years. Still have a long way to go with the collection.

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the Pro-Light, Brinkmann Legend, and I believe ASP Triad.

Emphasis mine... If you had anything to do with the following, Don, I have a Legend 1 X AAA with the stock forward clickie/twist lockout tailcap sitting right next to me (gave it new life with a MJ Soli drop-in). Love it.

Welcome to CPF!

donkeller7

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, I have a photo of my first Kel-Lite display but can't figure out how to attach it.

Last edited:

SG688

Newly Enlightened
This is the earliest reference in my 'stack of stuff.' 1969

kelliteadlo91969sm.jpg

Last edited:

SG688

Newly Enlightened
Confirming Abtomat:

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]The Kel-Lite was the brain child of Donald Keller who began to manufacture it in 1968. In an interview with Don, he told me that the Kel-Lite was designed as a defensive weapon, first, and as an illumination device, second. Finally there was a flashlight which was designed to be used in daily police work and in altercations. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Other manufacturers were quick to follow Don into this new market. In 1969-1970, the True-Grit heavy-duty flashlight appeared. Unlike the Kel-Lite, the True-Grit flashlight came apart in various sections. In 1973, the B-Lite, also designed by Don Keller, appeared on the market. One year later, the Pro-Lite Company began marketing the Pro-Lite. Yes, Keller designed the Pro-Lite aluminum model, too. The Pro-Lite was the first rechargeable flashlight. In 1976-1977, the Police Equipment Division of LA Screw Products, Inc., began marketing the Code Four flashlight. The year 1978 gave birth to the Streamlight rechargeable flashlight. Finally, in 1979, MagLite made its appearance. [/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Helvetica, sans-serif]Peters, John G. Jr., Defensive Tactics with Flashlights, Reliapon Police Products, Albuquerque, New Mexico. 1982.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

This is the earliest reference in my 'stack of stuff.'

This is very interesting. A fellow CPF member several years ago mentioned that he saw that company selling store-brand flashlights that had obviously been made by Kel-Lite. I think he said they were "Greenwood" brand and had green anodization.

SG688

Newly Enlightened
This thread may become a historical reference, so I'll add more.

I have a couple of the plastic Pro-Lights but not an aluminum.

I was looking for a pic of the SWAT-room-search model with a cord and remote switch, but found only this.

What I don't have in actual flashlights, I make up for with a pile of old magazines.

prolightvsiadlo1976sm.jpg
http://www.imageocean.net/

Last edited:

willrx

Enlightened
Very kind of you to post this information, thanks. Do any of your references have similar ads for Maglite? If so, a new thread under that topic may also be of interest here.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
You can all thank me for starting this thread by giving me one Kel-Lite each from your collection. :twothumbs

Really enjoying these pictures though. Thanks

Mike 208

Enlightened
ABTOMAT;

I was the one who wrote about seeing a L.A. Co. Sheriff's Sergeant carrying a green anodized "Kel-Lite", circa 1976. It was a 3-D cell, and had a "flat" tailcap (no spare bulb) and a white slide switch. Stamped on the tailcap (IIRC) were "Greenwood Uniforms, West Covina CA." It was the only green Kel-Lite I ever saw. The color was very similar to the "jade green" Mag-Lite produced for Target stores.

SG688

Newly Enlightened
This was published in January, 1983, so the deal must have been done in mid to late 1982.

kellitestreamlightaduni.png

STREAMLIGHT, INC.

EXPANDS PRODUCT LINE WITH ACQUISITION OF KEL-LITE INDUSTRIES

NORRISTOWN, Pa. — Stream- light, Inc., an originator and a leading manufacturer of high intensity, heavy-duty, rechargeable portable lighting systems for a wide variety of professional, industrial and consumer uses, has acquired the design, manufacturing and assembly operations of Kel-Lite industries, Barstow, Cal., it was announced here today.

"The Kel-Lite acquisition now allows Streamlight to offer a broader choice of high performance, portable lighting with one of the most complete product lines available in the industry," said C. Bradford Penney, President.

"In particular, the Kel-Lite product line allows Streamlight to penetrate the consumer market and enhance its existing position in its traditional markets," he said.

Penney outlined additional benefits directly attributable to the Kel-Lite acquisition. He said the move would result in streamlined distribution and greater availability of both the Streamlight and Kel-Lite product lines.

"West coast customers can expect faster distribution of both product lines because of our purchase of the Kel-Lite 15,000 sq. ft. manufacturing facility in Barstow," Penney explained. "And, the acquisition will permit us to implement an aggressive national marketing strategy characterized by increased competitive pricing in all our markets."

He said that law enforcement, fire fighting and security will continue as three primary markets for the Streamlight and Kel-Lite product lines. Applications include professional patrol, search, surveillance, inspection, rescue, navigation and non-lethal defense. In addition, the company reports both product lines as having maintenance and inspection applications in a variety of markets including automotive, trucking, marine, utilities, military and government.

"The Kel-Lite product line will also allow us increased penetration into several consumer markets. The sporting goods field — including fishermen, boaters, hikers and campers — needs rugged, high performance, portable lighting at reasonable cost," Penney noted.

He added that home hardware applications make up another important market for the company.
Streamlight, Inc. has been manufacturing and marketing portable high intensity, rechargeable lighting products through its Norristown office for eight years. Kel-Lite Industries has produced a complete line of heavy-duty, non-rechargeable C and D cell flashlights for 12 years at its Barstow facility. Kel-Lite's existing work force will remain intact at the Barstow plant, with the addition of a Streamlight general manager, Penney noted.

Streamlight and Kel-lite products will now be designed and manufactured in both the Norristown, Pa., and Barstow, Cal., facilities. Corporate headquarters will remain in Norris- town.

POLICE MARKSMAN JANUARY-FEBRUARY 1983 (page)53

Last edited:

Flash_Gordon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greenwood's Uniforms is still in business. I don't know if the West Covina store is still there, but there are others. They have been around for over 50 years and are still a family business in the third or fourth generation. They specialize in law enforcement and other public service uniforms.

I have never seen the light you describe, but a very good bet it was from a special run made for a very large retailer of LE stuff. It would have been a good match for the LA Sheriff's Department which did then, and still does, where dark green uniforms. Greenwood's was a major supplier of uniforms for this huge police department.

Mark

ABTOMAT;

I was the one who wrote about seeing a L.A. Co. Sheriff's Sergeant carrying a green anodized "Kel-Lite", circa 1976. It was a 3-D cell, and had a "flat" tailcap (no spare bulb) and a white slide switch. Stamped on the tailcap (IIRC) were "Greenwood Uniforms, West Covina CA." It was the only green Kel-Lite I ever saw. The color was very similar to the "jade green" Mag-Lite produced for Target stores.

collector76

Newly Enlightened
The Sam Dimas Kel-Lite was assembly and marketing only. Head, face cap, tail cap screw machined by Mag Instrument in Ontario and then taken to Patti Tool and Die in San Dimas for threading, and Patti made the flashlight barrel. Covina Kel-Lite was marketing, sales, machining of barrell, threading of head, face cap, tail cap by Patti under one roof. Barstow Kel-Lite was marketing, sales, machining of all parts under one roof including the reflector and three way switch stamping and 100% increse in productive capability.

collector76

Newly Enlightened
You have a D-MKL-5. D cell (battery), Meduim (Head) (2.5" dia), 5 (battery), Kel-Lite. Was made in Barstow in the late 70's - 1984. The switch is the second version 304 stainless steel three way with a button to send morse code. First version was riveted onto the barrel, second was secured by screws. Sold for about $25.00 retail. I have noticed some of the lights out today most closely resemble the MKL. The MKL last sold with a internal push button switch, availale in a rechargeable model and a kyrpton bulb. Also in a 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 cell or battery model. Designed by Norm Nelson, Kel-Lite CEO.

Latest posts