Kershaw Leek : assisst /6AL4V/ ZDP-189

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little surprised that no one has started a topic on this knife. It looks to be impressive!

Kershaw Leek KS1660TIZDP

Maybe all those designer plastic handled knives folks keep posting about have found a worthy replacement. Get'em while their hot! I've heard of them selling for as little as 112.00 all the way up to 186.00. These are limited to 1000.

gorn

Enlightened
I have had a stainless steel Leek since they were release a few years ago. It is a great little knife. I think I may have to get one of the titanium ones.

felder

Newly Enlightened
I bought one of these. It's very nice. If you're on the fence with this one, get it or you'll regret it later.

One thing to note, though, is that some people on Bladeforums are complaining about them arriving dull. Mine arrived pretty sharp, but not as sharp as my ZDP spyderco delica. I few swipes on my sharpmaker should fix that.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
Leeks are fantastic knives. I just checked out the G10 S30V model this past weekend at a knife collectors meeting. Those meetings are getting expensive. Now I have to add the G10 Leek to my want list.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Ti Leek and a plain Jane steel Leek.

There is so little difference in appearance between the two that they are almost indistinguishable. If you are a junkie who needs the latest flavor of blade steel, or like the aethestics of titanium scales, then go for it. Otherwise, save yourself $100 and get the steel flavor. JMO. :)

I paid $125 plus shipping from newgraham for the Ti Leek, and $34 + shipping on ebay for the steel flavor.

Edited to add: I had a textured G-10 Leek, but the texturing was so aggressive that I couldn't slide it in and out of my pocket, so I sold it.

peace

Last edited:

Toons

Newly Enlightened
Greetings Powernoodle,

Two questions:
Does the "plain jane" Leek have assisted opening?
Do you notice a significant difference in the weight?

Thanks
Toons

iamerror

Enlightened
I have a regular Leek and like the knife/design. One thing would greatly improve it though (for me): a reversible clip.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
The steel flavored Leek is reversible for tip up or tip down carry, but not for left hand carry if thats what you mean. Not sure without looking if its the same for the Ti Leek.

peace

Toons

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info Powernoodle.
My clickie finger has already been searching at Ebay. :grin2:
Toons

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best price I found on ebay for the steel Leek was from seller greatknivesgreatprices133.

Edited to add: there are some nice pics of the Ti Leek over on this forum (assuming its not bad form to link to another forum).

peace

Last edited:

Toons

Newly Enlightened
Hey Powernoodle
Don't know if you are still "Tooned in", but wanted to post that I did get a plane Jane steel Leek (due to your experience) and love it! Feels great in the hand, easy one hand operation and slides in and out of the pocket easily due to the smooth stainless sides. So slim it feels like a small size knife. Doesn't cost so much that you feel you need to be careful either. Used the other $100 to help on a FFIII !!!
Appreciate it!
Toons :D

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was lucky enough to get a Ti one a little while ago on the EDC forum for $100.00 and I do love it but agree that if you are going to have it as a user I'd still go for the standard. Nice pick up.

And since I've already setup the pic here it is again.

100_0322mini.jpg

I'm sorry I just can't help myself!

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my zdp189 leek a few days ago.

First , my new moto is, "titanium...who cares!". By this I mean that though ti is a neato material the real benefit of this knife is the steel and ti enthusiasm on cpf reminds me of teenage girls going crazy for boy bands.

My knife needed a little tuneup on the sharpmaker but got evil sharp. So far , I'm extremely impressed with the edgeholding of this blade and think that for someone who takes care of their knives , this knife begs to be a user!

While modifying reflectors I often use a knife to cut away aluminum and it tends to dull the tip of a very sharp knife very quickly. Not to the point that the knife is "dull" but to the point where more force than is appropriate is needed to remove the right amount of material which leads to mistakes and possible damage to the reflective surface from small slips. While useing the zdp189 leak the blade stayed razor sharp through modifying 5 or 6 reflectors. That is saying alot because scary sharp on other steels , even premium steels lasts a very short time in use.

I also just read an article on this steel in one of the knife mags and in controlled tests , where zdp189 was making 100 cuts through rope, ATS34 made only 18!!!!!

This isn't just "the lastest flavor of premium steel" this stuff takes it to the next level. This steel really wouldn't be even possible without the "powdered steel" tech and has a freakishly high chromium content.