Kershaw

jds009

Enlightened
Ive been looking into these kinds of knives & saw the speed bump. I really like the design but know nothing about the steel (Sanndvik 13C26 stainless steel) or about the lock (Stud lock). Id like some more info before i shell out $70 for it.

iamerror

Enlightened
I haven't tried the Kershaw Speed Bump, but have tried the Leek and some other Kershaw models. I have heard good things about the Swedish Sandvik steels, though. What type of knife are you looking for?

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just found out about a newish knife shop in town and will try to get by tomorrow. looks like they stock alot of stuff. if you can be patient i will try to check out the speed bump when i get by.

http://www.thebladeshop.com/

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
i got to play with the spec-bump(didnt have the speed-bump in stock). i have to give it a thumbs down. im sure there are fans, it just didnt feel practical. checked out the griptilians which are very nice, but the mini-griptilian is too small for me. But one more vote for the Kershaw avalanche. the g10 is grippier than the griptilian. i love it.

http://www.thebladeshop.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=274

ginaz

Enlightened
i have spec and speed bumps. the AO is great and once you get used to the stud lock it is hard to go back. i find myself pushing the thumb studs on my benchmades now wondering why they won't close!

the clips are a bit unwieldy. they both needed to be adjusted as i found them too tight. the curved blade can be a challenge to sharpen. sharpmaker is the best for the curve but it's really slow to work s30v or even the sandvik steel.

i like the whole package and recently picked up a zero tolerance folder as well. kershaw is doing great things. get a speed bump for 50 bucks and you will see what the other models hold for you.

grayelky

Newly Enlightened
I have a Kershaw Scallion and really like it. It is small and light weight, and the steel holds an edge well. My younger son has lost/had stolen 3 Kershaw Blurs. It is a bigger knife than the Scallion, and has, I believe, S30V steel, which is very good for knives. I have one on it's way. I do not believe you will be disappointed in the performance of the Kershaw.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kershaw's 13C26 is a very nice steel. By the numbers (elemental composition) it doesn't look very impressive, but it performs well. I got a Storm for my bro-in-law and that thing is SHARP! and stays sharp. Recurve is a bit of a PITA to sharpen, but great for slicing. I've handled both the Spec and Speed Bumps. While both feel good in the hand (due to the awkward, but very ergonomically shaped handle), I like the G10 of the Spec Bump better. The Stud Lock takes some getting used to and I didn't handle them enough to get used to it. Overall, they're great knives. Kershaw has a lot of offerings that are very nice and their fit and finish and overall quality and attention to details are amazing for their price point. Kershaw will be transitioning all their current 440A knives to 13C26 steel by end of 07Q1.

Latest posts