Spyderco, Kershaw, or Benchmade...?

carrot

Flashaholic
Spyderco knives tend to use better steel than Benchmades in the same price range. On the other hand, Benchmade does (and has offered) knives using tool steel like D2 and M2, which are even better than most of Spyderco's offerings.

Also, edge retention depends on the way the knife was originally ground.

Ignoramus

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
Spyderco knives tend to use better steel than Benchmades in the same price range. On the other hand, Benchmade does (and has offered) knives using tool steel like D2 and M2, which are even better than most of Spyderco's offerings.

Also, edge retention depends on the way the knife was originally ground.

Yeah, but what Magic said was that his Delica is sharp after 3 years and the benchmade was dull in 3 months. That's a 10:1 ratio. Spyderco doesn't have any steel that lasts 10 times longer than any of BM's steels.

flash_bang

Enlightened
um, is it just me, or wouldn't the ratios be different because there are 12 months in a year?

perado

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, but what Magic said was that his Delica is sharp after 3 years and the benchmade was dull in 3 months. That's a 10:1 ratio. Spyderco doesn't have any steel that lasts 10 times longer than any of BM's steels.
Or, perhaps he uses the Benchmade that much more?

I have to agree with the consensus that both companies make good products. I have carried all three. All things considered, the most important and best difference to my mind is Benchmade's Axis-lock. I've always liked the Spyderhole...I own almost every model AFCK variation there is, but the Axis-lock is easier to open and MUCH easier to close one handed. If you haven't tried one, you really should before you buy another quality knife.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
magic79 said:
Last Christmas, my wife bought me a beautiful Benchmade. I carried it for 3 months and it became dull. I was quite dissapointed.

I carry a 550 Griptilian that I really like, but the plain part of the blade doesn't seem to hold its edge for all that long. The blade is 440C and based on their website the new 550 Griptilian uses a 154CM steel.

The 440C is very easy to sharpen, but I wonder if the 154CM would hold an edge longer.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
perado said:
All things considered, the most important and best difference to my mind is Benchmade's Axis-lock. I've always liked the Spyderhole...I own almost every model AFCK variation there is, but the Axis-lock is easier to open and MUCH easier to close one handed. If you haven't tried one, you really should before you buy another quality knife.

I didn't like the Axis lock at first, but now I love it. Also my Benchmade has a hole in the blade which I prefer over a stud.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kershaw isn't even in the same class as either benchmade or spyderco.

I own 4 benchmades. I own 2 spydercos. I buy knives to use, unlike lights, I've never become fond enough of them to buy to look at, if I'm going to spend my hard earned cash on it, it better work. That having been said, I'll probably never buy another benchmade. I thought they were the best (somewhat reasonably price) knifes on the planet until one day my brother asked me if I wanted to buy a spare spyderco off him. I said 'a spare what?' and it was all down hill from there.

That day I acquired a partially serrated spyderco ladybug and its rode with me in my wallet since then. The quality on both benchmade and spyderco are excellent, however being so impressed with the ladybugs functionality, a few weeks later I picked up a native to replace my griptilian as an EDC.

To bottom line it, both benchmade and spyderco make classy, solid, pretty reasonably priced, quality knifes. Spyderco, however, leaves benchmade in the dust in ergonomics. some people argue that spydercos knifes are funny looking, and I agree, they don't look like a 'traditional' pocket knife, because they aren't, they're the next generation of form and function for cutting tools. From the way my native balances itself it my hand to how I can squeeze on the handle as hard as I can and not feel any pressure points digging into my hands, IMHO, spyderco has truly redefined how a knife should perform.

Last edited:

COMMANDR

Enlightened
SPYDERCO SPYDERCO SPYDERCO
smile.gif
they make great knives IMHO
but be sure to get quality steel, its all about the steel.

Gary

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have more than one kershaw and multiple spydercos, my vote is in the spyderco camp for quality if you plan on using it. And kershaw if you want to impress someone with assisted opening. Just my .02

cutlerylover

Banned
ther is alot to consider when buying a knife...most knives will be fine for light work, when you plan on really using your knife alot then you ahve to consider which steel is good for your needs, then which style knife you want, locking mechanism, size, blade style, price, serrations...etc? There is alot of things to consider...If you really do your homework you can find a knife that fits your budget and will work very well for what you need it for! The biggest peice of advice I can give it to really research what your looking for, and once you find a knife you likie shop around for prices...a single knife can sometimes varry between $30 in cost depending on where you buy it...So you can really save some $ if you shop around...

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
I have been a Spyderco fan for many years. Bought several and given a few as gifts. Got to tour the factory with Rocky Mtn. Blade Collectors when they still had tours.
Thesurefire, the other way around for me. I switched from my favorite Native (I have 3) to a mini Griptilion. The full sized Grip is too big for me to carry but I now have two minis and they are sweet! Back in the good old days even an inexpensive Pika and mini Pika were ATS-34.
I have a few Kershaws but never really expected them to be Spyderco quality. I just buy what I like. My Kershaw Blaze is kinda cool to play with but it's made in Taiwan so who knows.

Good thread. I've enjoyed reading this one for two weeks.

Ken

vandrecken

Newly Enlightened
Benchmade make good knives - at the moment it's good to be able to get production versions of designs by the custom makers Mike Snody & Neil Blackwood from them. The axis lock is strong and easy to use.

I own many more Spyderco's than Benchmade's however. Spyderco is a smaller company but plays well above it's weight in the market. They are very innovative, very much into ergonomics (which is why the knives sometimes look weird), and totally into customer service / listening to their customers. I've carried a knife every day of the last 15+ years and over this time all four of my EDC's have been Spyderco. Others get added for different jobs but I've always got one with a hole in the blade :)

I've seen a couple of Kershaw's that I've rather liked over the years, but they just aren't in the same league as a Spydie or Benchmade.

Good luck in your hunt !

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken 222 said:
Thesurefire, the other way around for me. I switched from my favorite Native (I have 3) to a mini Griptilion.

Ken what steel do you like? The biggest factor for me was the way the handle fit in my hand, allowing a more comfortable grip, followed next by S30V stayed sharp much longer then my griptillion. I believe my griptillion was a early modle in 440C, but I don't exactly remember.

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
I got a few knives for christmas so thought I would share my reviews.

I got a spyderco (byrd) CARA CARA. I love the size of the knife, but you can definately tell that the build quality (of the byrd) is not as good as the spyderco's. This one is a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. It has a black stainless handle which I do not like. The movement is not as smooth as my delica 4, but I am not sure if that is because of the metal handle or because thats just the way Byrd knives are. This knife is also made with an FRN handle and a G10 handle. I might pick up one of those soon and sell the one with the SS handle if I ilke it better.

BY03BK_M.jpg

I also got a Kershaw Scallion. It has a plain edge and a polymer handle. At first I thought I would like this knife for EDC. It's a nice smaller compact size and fits the hand nice while cutting. I HATE the speed opening feature though. It's impossible to open with the thumb stud, so the only way to open the knife is with 2 hands or use the speed open tab on the bottom of it. I've been playing with this knife a lot over the past few days and managed to accidently slice my fingers twice. I really hate this speed opening feature. I think it may be more suited for a larger knife because this one is kind of small to grasp when closed.

ke006.jpg

Kershaw-scallion-1620-350x350.gif

justsomeguy

Newly Enlightened
That "assisted opening" muck is silly. Any modern knife will open as easily as a switch-blade. Under many state laws....and juries, the assisted opening knives ARE switchblades. Be Warned.

The Kershaw knives are a far back third in quality. They market toward uneducated knife buyers.

steve

cutlerylover

Banned
Im sorry to say steve you are wrong, the assisted opening mechanism is not considered an automatic knife...This has been proven in a few different court cases in 3 different states...And Kershaws website guarantees that as well...They might be confiscated by a uneducated police officer if he sees you with one but it will have to be given back after the sistuation is conducted in court...but who wants to go to court, let alone has the time...but you will have to be doing somethign pretty stupid to have a LEO take away your knife in the 1st place...

carrot

Flashaholic
I have one Byrd knife, the G-10 Meadowlark, and I have to say the quality is superb. It almost makes me wonder why I spend more money for more expensive knives when the Meadowlark feels right up there in quality with its steel liners and G-10 handles. Also, it's very smooth to open.

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Carrot......I think the reason why my cara cara is not smooth is because of the SS handle. I will pick one up with the FRN handle to compare. I like the FRN better than G10 because of the grippy surface.

carrot

Flashaholic
It's strange, Bill97z, because the G-10 Meadowlark has steel liners... Although both the G-10 and FRN versions were released after the original all-steel models...

Latest posts