Spyderco, Kershaw, or Benchmade...?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Spyderco or Benchmade...?

benchmade_boy said:
dont get me wrong i have seriosly looked at spyderco knives but i cant find any models that look "normal" like benchmades are, i meen they might fit for some peoplle but almost all benchmades are for real users not ones that you keep in your vault for years, benchmades are made to be used i just dont really see any practical spydercos.

you obviously havent used a spyderco have you ?

im not trying to start a war here, and im not taking the p**s
spyderco knives look wierd, take the dodo for example - its just plain ugly (i believe the word fugly fits it best) but it is the best knife i have used for breaking down cardboard boxes. it feels like part of your hand.
i will admit to having never owned or used a benchmade, they appear to be a high quality, nice looking knife and they are probably very comfortable to use
but i feel that spyderco ergonomics are superior
the Reverse S blade of the dodo and cricket is brilliant for opening clampacks (like Inova lights come in), the material being cut just sits in the curve near the tip and doesnt slip of the blade.
Hawkbill knives like the Tasman salt, merlin, harpy and Spyderhawk ar brilliant for cutting rope, webbing, line, material, cardboard etc
benchmade still make a high quality knife with good steel, they just dont seem to take the risks like spyderco do with odd designs like the civilian, dodo, spot, gunting, lava etc

just my .02

cutlerylover

Banned
Spyderco and Benchmade are about the same as far as quality goes...of course they have different designs spydero having some more exotic patterns...It's just a matter of personal taste...I belong to 4 different knife forums and I can tell you that the big question "whats better, spyderco or Benchmade?" has been an on going argument/war for MANY years lol... There are many fans and decoted owners of both knife companies...but quality and customer service are very good with both of them, so like I said pick the knives that appeal to you most, instead of picking a company 1st then one of their knives...I hear that alot you know, like which knife company is good, then its like ok, well which one of their knives is good...Not everyone can walk into a knife shop and look at knives but I have to say thats the best way to pick them if you ever gte the chance...to actually see and hold the knife you like before you actually purchase it...Many people buy knives online then when they arrive they are sometimes very dissapointed...Other times pleasantly surprised...Its kind of a crap shoot orering them online unless you do your homework and really read the details and specifications on the knife...if you need to draw the knife out according to the dimensions this way you can get a visual on its size...that might help you...and shop around for the best price too, look at dozens of websites and online searches before you buy the knife, you want to gte it at the best price right...

JGKC9AYC

Newly Enlightened
I carried a Benchmade for several years until about 4 years ago when I purchased a Kershaw Ken Onion 1580ST. I feel the quality of this particular model is on par with the Benchmade I had.
I use the knife daily & have no need to sharpen it yet. If & when I do have it sharpened, i'll get it done for a buck at Smoky Mtn. Knifeworks. I go there every year on vacation!

Mikeg23

Enlightened
JGKC9AYC said:
...at Smoky Mtn. Knifeworks. I go there every year on vacation!

I used to go there every year with my Grandparents when I was a little kid. I keep thinking I need to go there sometime just for fun, but it hasn't happened.

What a wonderful place for a little kid to try an take in I was always in complete aw.

phil000

Newly Enlightened
Whoever said that they prefer their benchmade because it has a hole over a thumbstud must be SEVERELY confused...

Also, Benchmade has a really cute way of 'borrowing' designs such as the round hole which is a spyderco trademark, I think that right there speaks to who is a better designing company. Spyderco has MANY firsts: first clips, first one hand openers, first to use ZDP-189 in knives. Benchmade does make many gorgeous knives, such as the Mini-Skirmish. Kershaw is in third but is coming up on benchmade fast. I nearly laughed out loud when I saw that someone said that Benchmades are more utilitarian. Both make very tough knives, but you can't get more bang for buck than a Spyderco Native, and Spydercos look more like tools than weapons. This being said, Spyderco has no answer to something like the 940 line of benchmade and benchmade destroys spyderco in the balisong category. hey cutlery good to see you out here!

Someone asked about INFI vs. S30V vs. BG42?
in this order (in my mind)
1. Infi
2. BG42
3. S30V
All of them fall into the supersteel category, but INFI is a proprietary steel only made by Busse combat knives. BG42 has slightly better corrosion resistance than S30V I believe, but both require some upkeep (wiping the blade down and keeping them very clean) and both are difficult to sharpen but hold their edges very well, there are some reports of S30V chipping slightly. I hope this helps, I have many benchmades on my list that I want but I have more Spydercos that I want. My EDC is a Spyderco Native and I am anxiously waiting the release of the SuperHawk.

fireboltr

Enlightened

spyderco and benchmade are both great knives and really cant go wrong with either

but... do look for the knife that fits your intended purpose some of both their lines have some softer steels and rockwell hardness' for instance i purchased a benchmade wich was designed primarily for combat/self defense and it doesnt hold an edge for nothing
same thing with spiderco
you need to know exactly what you are looking for toughness or edge retention, cutting ability or sharpened prybar, stabbing or utility design

like me i prefer cutting abilty and edge retention so its s30v or vg10 in the 59-61rc range but to tell you the truth i still prefer a non-stainless steel (ie 0-1 a-2 d-2) sure they take a little more carring for than you normal 440 junk but i have yet to find a stainless that will take or hold a fine edge as long as a tool steel

just my 2 cents
if you want an awsome spyderco that meets the cutting abilty and edge retention ideals check out this model and it wont even break the piggy bank
spyderco knife
if you want a benchmade that fits the same ideals
benchmade knife

i own and use both knives and they are both great utility knives but the 59-61rc d2 benchmade i would have to admit does hold a finer edge for longer

CLHC

Flashaholic

Greetings CPF members!

It's been a while since I posted here because of new found hobby/interest that I've been collecting and Enjoying over the past couple of months (Single Malt Scotches & Cognacs). . .

Anyways, I'm with what most members already chimed in about Spyderco and/or Benchmade. I've EDC'd both over the past couple of years and the day's events dictated what I "need" to have with me. Both are finely built and respectable(sp?) in their own right. The one paricular knife that I EDC now since acquiring a couple of months ago is the SF.Delta and this one sees a lot of uses in my day-to-day ventures.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

guyg

Newly Enlightened

Cutlerylover.. Buck was the one who searched for a loophole in the PATENT belonging to Spyderco and found the hole was described as ROUND. They went oblong and Benchmade followed.
I personally preferre the BM with the Axis Lock. It is smoother than the rivet on similar priced Spyderco's. Other than that they both make good knives.

BrightIdeaOSU

Newly Enlightened
I'm with Ignoramus, the Spyderco Delica is a wonderful value, and has a blade that keeps its sharpness very well. I dig the combo blade, with a straight and serrated portion, for overall EDC utility.

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
Bill97z said:
I like the new Native better.....

C78BK_L.jpg

I thought I would post a few comments after carrying this knife for a few weeks.

Well, I really liked it initially, but...........

1. It's thicker than most - Not really annoying, but I have a few that are the same length that are slimmer and easier to carry

2. Hard to open - When it is closed, the opening hole penetrates into the handle a bit, so sometimes it is difficult to get a good grip on it to open. It opens normally each time I open it slowly, but if I try to open it with a quick snap, most of the time my thumb slips off.

Other than that the knife is great. The handle is very comfortable while cutting.

Latest posts