Klarus RS11-Rechargeable flashlight 620 ANSI Lumens-Review+HQ Pics+Video

FlashLion

Enlightened
Flashlion

thanks for checking I will have have him check the ring

it's not a big deal but it's not 100% right

got it from Going Gear so I'm sure they'll make it right if needed
I 'm sure the guys from GG will help you.Good luck
If the flashlight needs repairing is better to send it to GG,because there's a warranty and is better not to open the flashlight.

FlashLion

Enlightened
Question about the tail cap indicator.

I gave my son the RS11 recently and he has noted that the
tail cap light turns on red and stays red when the tail cap is screwed in firmly. if he loosens the tail cap a bit it turns green.
When charging the same thing happens -- the indicator starts red and stays red -- it never turns to green when fully charged-- UNLESS the tail cap is loosened a bit (I mean an 1/8 of a turn).

He has tried several batteries both protected and unprotected. it doesn't appear to be related to the length of the battery.

The light works fine in every other respect.

Just wanted to put this out there to see is anyone else has noted this "weird" behavior

thanks
I read again all.If you loosen the tailcap,this will disconnect contacts that is used for charging and the indicator led will lights Green.
How long are you waiting for battery to charge?

walterr839

Enlightened
when the tail cap is tight and the light is connected to the charger the light never turned green and this was after several hours of charging. if I disconnect the charger the light remans red until I loosen the tail cap a bit (say a quarter turn) and then it turns green. If I then tighten it a bit it turns red again.when I took the battery out it read 4.2 or 4.21 volts.

FlashLion

Enlightened
when the tail cap is tight and the light is connected to the charger the light never turned green and this was after several hours of charging. if I disconnect the charger the light remans red until I loosen the tail cap a bit (say a quarter turn) and then it turns green. If I then tighten it a bit it turns red again.when I took the battery out it read 4.2 or 4.21 volts.
This is quite strange.Better don't use the flashlight anymore and contact GG.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really wish the mode switch was a true mode switch - not just for strobe. It is really a strobe-only switch and for a non-tactical light, I feel this is a waste of an extra switch which could be used to do so much more.

Dear Klarus, the strobe is the least-used mode by most of us non-tactical folks. PLease make the extra switch a mode-changing switch or better yet, press low-profile button to turn on low mode, high-profile button to turn on high mode. thanks

Last edited:

FlashLion

Enlightened
I really wish the mode switch was a true mode switch - not just for strobe. It is really a strobe-only switch and for a non-tactical light, I feel this is a waste of an extra switch which could be used to do so much more.

Dear Klarus, the strobe is the least-used mode by most of us non-tactical folks. PLease make the extra switch a mode-changing switch or better yet, press low-profile button to turn on low mode, high-profile button to turn on high mode. thanks
Hello Carl,
Thank you for your opinion:thumbsup:.Your idea for buttons is good.
My opinion is that for this size flashlight and so aggressively looking,the low lighting mode is not so often used.The strobe is part of the Klarus's image and they can't avoid it.For big and powerful flashlight strobe feature is not so bad,but I agree in flashlights below 200Lm is unusable.
There is something very special in RS11.Thanks to the second(strobe)switch,strobe(620Lm)can be activated momentary in any lighting mode(High,Medium,Low).I really like this feature and use it a lot for signaling or just for fun.Can be used also for defense.
I got used to this function and I miss it when I use Klarus XT11.:rolleyes:

FlashLion

Enlightened
The new Klarus RS16 and RS1A use just one switch and have an excellent 7 lumens Low mode.They are of similar design and smaller size.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks flashlion for your answers. BTW, is Klarus coming out with a XMLx3/18650x3 like everyone else?

sog_sniper

Newly Enlightened
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Great pictures and review Flashlion, hope you can also make a review for XT11 and XT1C......

FlashLion

Enlightened
thanks flashlion for your answers. BTW, is Klarus coming out with a XMLx3/18650x3 like everyone else?
I also wait to see a 3xXML/3X18650 flashlight from Klarus but no information about that so far.

FlashLion

Enlightened
:thumbsup::thumbsup: Great pictures and review Flashlion, hope you can also make a review for XT11 and XT1C......
Thank you very much!
My short XT11 review is in 'LED flashlights' part of the forum.Click on the text in my signature.

Journeyman Ninja

Newly Enlightened
Question about the tail cap indicator.

I gave my son the RS11 recently and he has noted that the
tail cap light turns on red and stays red when the tail cap is screwed in firmly. if he loosens the tail cap a bit it turns green.
When charging the same thing happens -- the indicator starts red and stays red -- it never turns to green when fully charged-- UNLESS the tail cap is loosened a bit (I mean an 1/8 of a turn).

He has tried several batteries both protected and unprotected. it doesn't appear to be related to the length of the battery.

The light works fine in every other respect.

Just wanted to put this out there to see is anyone else has noted this "weird" behavior

thanks

I had the same thing happen to my RS11 which seemed to be due to the power source I was using. The battery wasn't dead yet, still turned on very bright -just wanted to "top it up". plugged it into my laptop usb while working. about 5hrs later, the light was still red. I thought this was a little unusual so i pulled the battery out and checked voltage, 4.19v. At the time i thought i would just plug it back in for another try and see if "it would just do its thing" while i kept an eye on it. but this time i plugged it into the ipad wall charger (just happened that i needed that extra laptop usb port). about 20 minutes later the charging light turned green. considering the previous times i charged the light with no issues i used a similar blackberry wall charger, i assumed it was the laptop port causing issues. maybe the flashlight is somewhat picky about the power supply??
--either way, i have since stopped using the RS11 as my main light. there are a few things that annoyed me to the point of trying out a different light: 1-bought this light to use for work on a daily basis as a tech. the charge port on the end of the flashlight is also magnetic so after a few days, it collects enough fine metal filings on the magnetic charging ring that i have to blow it out with compressed air before connecting the charging cable. 2-the light accidentally turns on too easily in a pocket. 3-the "push and hold the power button for 2 seconds" to turn it on was annoying. i needed a light that turns on right now with no hassle so i can get stuff done right now. for these reasons, the RS11 has since been demoted and replaced with the nitecore MH2C, which is a far more practical rechargeable light for my needs.

FlashLion

Enlightened
I had the same thing happen to my RS11 which seemed to be due to the power source I was using. The battery wasn't dead yet, still turned on very bright -just wanted to "top it up". plugged it into my laptop usb while working. about 5hrs later, the light was still red. I thought this was a little unusual so i pulled the battery out and checked voltage, 4.19v. At the time i thought i would just plug it back in for another try and see if "it would just do its thing" while i kept an eye on it. but this time i plugged it into the ipad wall charger (just happened that i needed that extra laptop usb port). about 20 minutes later the charging light turned green. considering the previous times i charged the light with no issues i used a similar blackberry wall charger, i assumed it was the laptop port causing issues. maybe the flashlight is somewhat picky about the power supply??
--either way, i have since stopped using the RS11 as my main light. there are a few things that annoyed me to the point of trying out a different light: 1-bought this light to use for work on a daily basis as a tech. the charge port on the end of the flashlight is also magnetic so after a few days, it collects enough fine metal filings on the magnetic charging ring that i have to blow it out with compressed air before connecting the charging cable. 2-the light accidentally turns on too easily in a pocket. 3-the "push and hold the power button for 2 seconds" to turn it on was annoying. i needed a light that turns on right now with no hassle so i can get stuff done right now. for these reasons, the RS11 has since been demoted and replaced with the nitecore MH2C, which is a far more practical rechargeable light for my needs.
Hello
Sorry to hear that you have problems with your RS11.I am not sure about your problem with charging.I use my RS11 with Sanyo 2600mAh and never had a problem with charging.Usually I use my PC USB port,sometimes I use wall adapter or car adapter.Full charging of Sanyo 2600 takes about 6 hours.Check out the formula for charging time.
I have two Klarus lights with magnetic port and never had a problem with charging.
About the magnetic connection,I also think would be better if only the cable is magnetic.
The button should be pressed for 0.6 of a second (not 2 sec)
At first I also wondered why is 0.6 of a second needed and then I realized that if the light turns on with short press,will loses the momentary on feature.I often use two short presses for signalling,I like the momentary on feature.
There is no flashlight that meets the needs of each user.When buying expensive flashlight,always read all the description carefully.Each flashlight has specific features-useful for some users,useless for other.

Journeyman Ninja

Newly Enlightened
yes, you are right, the time is close to 1 second now that i have it in front of me. it just seems longer when im in a hectic situation and i hold the button down, but not quit long enough to turn it on, then i do it again, by the third time i usually get frustrated and just hold it down for several seconds. this is only when im in a rush. but as a casual flashlight, i think its great. one change i plan to make is to remove the stainless trim ring around the push button and machine an identical spacer from 1/8" aluminum to recess the buttons and guard from damage and accidentally turning the light on in pocket. if klarus could change the power button so that it functions similar to a digital camera button, that would be perfect -push down one step for momentary, push down harder for instant on without the wait.
the battery i have been using in it is a klarus 2200mA

FlashLion

Enlightened
The idea for power button similar to a digital camera button is really good.
Sometimes I also charge Klarus 2200mAh battery with RS11 because I like the USB charging(I don't have other USB chargers and I use the RS11 for charging) and charging time is always normal.I use a desktop computer and I can't check how is the charging through a laptop USB port.
I sent a
message to Klarus and they have read our comments here :thumbsup:.

estapants

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that's a nice light. Would be perfect if there was another output level between 30-50 lumens. The jump from 10 to 150 is too much.

FlashLion

Enlightened
Wow, that's a nice light. Would be perfect if there was another output level between 30-50 lumens. The jump from 10 to 150 is too much.
Hello
I also like the level about 30-50 lumens.Klarus just keep the UI on their lights as simple as possible,just 3 levels for fast and easy operation without too much clicking.
And by the way, thanks for the great write-up & review.

Klarus RS11 is perfect light for emergency.Last evening here where I live was a power supply breakdown and no electricity for two hours:candle:.I am glad I have the RS11,it is the only powerful flashlight from those whom I have that can tail stand.Using it on high brightness in candle mode is really useful even in a large room.The runtime is also great.After using the flashlight for two hours on high and medium brightness(the battery was not fully charged) I measured the battery 3.7V.The flashlight is doing quite well with the heat.