KLARUS ST-20 known issues???

vickers214

Enlightened
I have a P2A that gives random problems too, cleaned threads etc with no difference, found that the problem if the length of the battery tube, the nipple of the battery barely sticks out when you take the head off, my eagletacs and others show at least 4mm of the battery body. E mailed klarus about it and got a response almost straight away but no solution, and they have gone quiet now! I have tried unscrewing the switch a bit but it it's glued tight, first and last for me

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
I have a P2A that gives random problems too, cleaned threads etc with no difference, found that the problem if the length of the battery tube, the nipple of the battery barely sticks out when you take the head off, my eagletacs and others show at least 4mm of the battery body. E mailed klarus about it and got a response almost straight away but no solution, and they have gone quiet now! I have tried unscrewing the switch a bit but it it's glued tight, first and last for me

I've got almost the same problem with my st20, the retaining ring of the switch is TIGHTLY threaded, barely an inch of circumferential play :( however, with that tiny bit of play, I was able to adjust within 3-5mm of depth as to have the retaining ring make enough contact with the body tube for conduction. I no longer have flickers or shutdowns. If you have the same amount of "play", you may be able to fix some flickering/random shutdown problems. Aside from that, it feels like a very solid light. (Also, I have conducted a strange sort of test with a hand pump air bladder and a sealed water jug. I have no idea how many psi i pumped the container to, but i filled it with 15 gallons of water and caulked it shut. I placed the hand pump through a later sealed hole through the top, and completely forgot about it for a little over 2 days with the light on moonlight. When I came back to it at ~50 hours, i tore off the rubber and took a peek inside, the light was still running strong. After I dried it off with a blowdryer, I checked all the modes, threads and o-rings, and not a hitch. I expected the electronic switch to fail, but it passed with flying colors, although i would NOT do that again lol. I have come to the conclusion that Klarus's IPX-8 rating is legitimate, at least by my standards. Any other crazy people who'd like to have a go at one of their own lights?

Last edited:

vickers214

Enlightened
Yeah I had a good old go at the retaining ring, I have managed to every Torch I have ever owned that I need too, to move but this one will NOT move not even slightly. I think if I could move it a couple of MM like you it would cure the problem, but im thinking of a magnet on the base of the bottom battery to see if that helps. Strangely enough I got a reply of Klarus tgoday in broken English not really making much sense, to be fair he speaks better English than I do Chinese! But I dont want to go back through the distributer to send it back to them like it suggests i would rather deal direct, not exactly a jeer but a little dissapointing none the less.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ladies and gentlemen...may I present that the jetbeam pc series heads are indeed interchangeable with the klarus st20. (Jetbeam head can go on klarus body, but NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. Just got a pc10 and swapped the head right away just to see...the brightness is phenomenal compared to even a xeno e03 neutral tint. I actually lol-ed like i haven't in a long time....i think I might have a problem hahaha

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
May i also mention that the tailcap of the jetbeam DOES fit over the head end of the klarus. This is a great last ditch weapon in a zombie apocalypse, only if you have extra lights. if you throw in two flat topped lithium 14500's into that, you now have a double safety pipe bomb o_O click on the jetbeam tailcap first because it's mushy, that will be your primary safety because it's mushy and easier to press. Then click the klarus button down, which is also a forward, but it has a harder click. Throw it if you don't want to lose your hand lol.

vickers214

Enlightened
I eventually got a solution, it would appear Jet beam are sub contracted to make lights for them on occasion and they made a few P2A's witha short golden spring not a long silver one like it should have had, they are sending me a replacement tailcap with the longer spring.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I eventually got a solution, it would appear Jet beam are sub contracted to make lights for them on occasion and they made a few P2A's witha short golden spring not a long silver one like it should have had, they are sending me a replacement tailcap with the longer spring.

That's interesting, as I recently bought both a P2A and a JB BA20 and frankly, but for the writing on light bodies, I'd have a hard time telling them apart, they're that similar, down to the silver tail cap springs.

I like them both, however, my first thought was that Chang made both of them, at the same factory, on the same day.

Chris

Deal4

Enlightened
I know I am reviving an old thread, but I thought I would mention that my ST20 is my favorite of my 2 AA lights! I have put it through the wringer, and it just keeps going.
I have had a problem when the threads get dirty, but just give it a good cleaning/lube job, and it works like new again!

SixCats!

Enlightened
Hi all,

Well, since this old thread has been revived, I should add that I very much like my ST-20 as well. I was checking out the ST20 closely last night and it truly is a beautifully crafted/made light. Truthfully, I haven't had the need to use the light much during the Summer months but, now that Fall is fast approaching, I will be using this light more often. I either keep the ST20 (in holster) in the center console of my Camry or on my person. I returned home late tonight and I used the light on low while exiting the Car and then stepped it up to it's highest setting to scan my property/house. I then (using the side switch) lowered it back down to low to find my House door key and enter the house. I very much like the fact that IF I needed to, I can quickly turn on the STROBE by simply holding down (for mere seconds) the side switch where my Thumb is already placed. I'm taking a HARD look at the Klarus NT10 (1X CR123) as my next EDC light.

Regards,
SixCats!