Klarus XT11 (XM-L U2 - 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

DM51

Flashaholic
We had a Back to the Future event today, and the ever-resourceful selfbuilt entered the wrong date on the flux capacitor in his DeLorean, taking him back to 2008, long before the Klarus XT11 was invented.

Now I have to figure out how to delete that "2008" post without killing the thread (it's a grandfather-paradox type thing, lol).

Anyway, this (quote below) was supposed to be post #21:

I just did a standby current measure, which is a bit tricky given the tailcap design. The most stable reading I obtained was ~1.4 uA on a fully charged 18650. Seeing as how that translates into a couple of centuries for most 18650 cells, I don't think we need to worry, lol. :rolleyes:

I didn't test other battery types, but I don't imagine it is very different. End result, your cells will be dead from old age long before the negligible standy current could drain them. :thumbsup:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
We had a Back to the Future event today, and the ever-resourceful selfbuilt entered the wrong date on the flux capacitor in his DeLorean, taking him back to 2008, long before the Klarus XT11 was invented.
Now I have to figure out how to delete that "2008" post without killing the thread (it's a grandfather-paradox type thing, lol).
Thanks David. :bow:

I guess like a few others here today, I mis-timed the lightning strike. Those DeLoreans have sticky gas pedals, apparently. :rolleyes:

Glad to see everything is back where it belongs. I'll update any pointers I've made to this new thread. Thanks again!

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, I just did a standby current measure, which is a bit tricky given the tailcap design. The most stable reading I obtained was ~1.4 uA on a fully charged 18650. Seeing as how that translates into a couple of centuries for most 18650 cells, I don't think we need to worry, lol. :rolleyes:

I didn't test other battery types, but I don't imagine it is very different. End result, your cells will be dead from old age long before the negligible standy current could drain them. :thumbsup:

thanks for this added test. My XT11 croaked on me (light got real dim real quick, moon-mode, and would not stay on)
and I was wondering if it was usage, standby, or what...looking back I have used those 2xcr123 about 1.5 hours on the XT11
and they wouldn't even power cottonpickers LED voltmeter to show how dead they might have been. glad to know
standby won't eat cr123's

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI, that line from the reported specs: "Battery: 2x CR123A / 1x 18650 / 2x 16340 (use of 16340 batteries is not recommended)" is taken directly from the back of the packaging.

It is a bit of a puzzler. I am not a lawyer, but I presume that means they have to warranty the light for damage that may occur from 2x16340 (i.e. RCR), as they explictly support it in the specs.

As pointed out above, the "recommendation" against using the cells is ambiguous, and could refer to anything (e.g., due to low runtime, excessive heat, etc.). As such, it seems to me that it cannot logically be used to nulify the explicit support stated for those cells. I have seen examples with other makers where only 1x18650 and 2xCR123A are explicitly supported, with or without a statement recommending against 2x16340/RCR. In those cases, you are clearly on your own if the light fails from non-supported batteries (although dealers/manufacturers can always waive their rights and provide service anyway). In this case, it seems to me you should be covered, as the "recommendation" is just that - a common-sense guideline about sticking with the most appropriate cells for the light.

That said, I personally don't recommend you run heavily-driven lights on Hi (i.e. >700 lumens on XM-L) on standard ICR 16340. You are pushing these cells to the limits of their rated discharge rates, which isn't good for the cells (especially a concern for old or poor quality cells). The risk to the flashlight is probably fairly minimal - it is more the cells that I would be worried about.

In any case, it is hard to know for sure what they meant exactly. If anyone is concerned about warranty support on the XT11 with 2xRCR, I suggest you confirm directly with Klarus or your dealer.
Many thanks for the reply.

I'd just like to clarify, I wasn't trying to implicate you as stating RCR's where supported/not recommended. As I'd also seen the same on the Klarus website.

But I would say to someone new to premium flashlights and especially rechargeable Li-ion calls (of all types), then it makes it very confusing knowing what lights really do what and how. A shame manufacturers are not more consistent in their information and a shame they don't offer up some reasoning to some of these statements.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
last night I popped in a couple of AW 16340 cells. Light is bright :eek: but gets hot fast.
I only ran it a few minutes but it was pretty nice.

ledmitter

Enlightened
last night I popped in a couple of AW 16340 cells. Light is bright :eek: but gets hot fast.
I only ran it a few minutes but it was pretty nice.

Brighter that 2 RCR123's?

When you say hot, do you mean very uncomfortable at how many min?

I was researching 16340's and was wondering what the heck is the difference.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only ran the light for under two minutes. It warmed up a lot. I have not run it on primaries. I typically use 18650 cells.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I'd just like to clarify, I wasn't trying to implicate you as stating RCR's where supported/not recommended. As I'd also seen the same on the Klarus website.
No worries, I didn't take it that way. :) My comment clarifying the source was just to make it clear that was what is on the packaging, direct from Klarus (i.e., sometimes dealers have inaccurate information).

Brighter that 2 RCR123's?
... I was researching 16340's and was wondering what the heck is the difference.
There isn't one: RCR = RCR123 = R123 = RCR123A = 16340. They are just different numbering systems for a specific size Li-ion (in this case, 16mm wide, 34mm long, and cylindrical shaped), meant to work in lights that take the standard CR123A primary cell.

What differentiates RCR cells is the kind of chemistry they use at their cathodes. Most cells are ICR or LiCoO2. These come in protected and unprotected forms. Also popular are IMR (or LiMn2O4), which can handle higher discharge rates (but don't come in protected forms). IFR (or LiFePO4) is also available, typically with lower nominal voltages. The gurus in the batteries subforum can help you out more on the specifics. :wave:

Jedgar

Newly Enlightened
Bought me and the wife each one. Our favorite lights They have been great on 18650s.
Josh

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone interested in Higher quality holster for the XT-11, the 4Sevens maelstrom X5/7 holster is almost a perfect fit.
The retention indents don't work but otherwise height wise it works.

C-channel

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the nice review Selfbuilt. I've subscribed to your channel and re watch your videos many x. Will buy this light. I think I have too many Klarus...

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah I've ordered the XT11 with a green filter from Going Gear thanks to everyone on CPF raving about this light! if anyone wants I'll post beamshots of the thing with the green filter in any possible battery config if there's any interest in it :)

GhostMeat

Newly Enlightened
In case anyone is interested, I'm, unfortunately, about to test out Klarus' warranty. My mode switch failed last night after only 2 weeks of ownership. The primary switch works just fine. The Mode switch will not go into strobe and will not cycle output levels when the Primary switch is activated. Doh!

We've probably all watched some of Marshall from Going Gear's videos about disassembling the tailcap. This type of problem above doesn't sound "user serviceable" right? It sounds like an electronics/circuit board problem if one button is working great, but the other is not...right? I'd be glad if I don't have to send this light in to someone and not see it for a month.

Anyway, I know that I'm often interested in how companies handle bad news, so I thought I'd share. More updates as they are available!

gm.

GhostMeat

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick follow up here. My bottom line is that I'm actually sending the light in to GoingGear in Georgia. Since my light failed within the 30 day return period (actually the light is less than 2 weeks old), they'll fix it or replace it.

But one bit of good news is that I have been in touch with Klarus themselves. I asked, specifically, if they send the light all the way back to China -- which would be, of course, kind of ridiculous. :) They did confirm that any warranty service during the 2 year warranty (sweet!) is actually performed in the Klarus USA Southern California HQ. Yep, domestic US of A. They were pretty helpful and responsive over email. Thumbs up.

In case anyone is interested, I'm, unfortunately, about to test out Klarus' warranty. My mode switch failed last night after only 2 weeks of ownership. The primary switch works just fine. The Mode switch will not go into strobe and will not cycle output levels when the Primary switch is activated. Doh!

We've probably all watched some of Marshall from Going Gear's videos about disassembling the tailcap. This type of problem above doesn't sound "user serviceable" right? It sounds like an electronics/circuit board problem if one button is working great, but the other is not...right? I'd be glad if I don't have to send this light in to someone and not see it for a month.

Anyway, I know that I'm often interested in how companies handle bad news, so I thought I'd share. More updates as they are available!

gm.

aleve90

Newly Enlightened
Clip

My primary concern with this light is the clip. Had the same feelings about other Klarus lights. I noticed one other person here stated their only complaint was the clip. Any other experiences and are there any alternative clips?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick follow up here. My bottom line is that I'm actually sending the light in to GoingGear in Georgia. Since my light failed within the 30 day return period (actually the light is less than 2 weeks old), they'll fix it or replace it.

But one bit of good news is that I have been in touch with Klarus themselves. I asked, specifically, if they send the light all the way back to China -- which would be, of course, kind of ridiculous. :) They did confirm that any warranty service during the 2 year warranty (sweet!) is actually performed in the Klarus USA Southern California HQ. Yep, domestic US of A. They were pretty helpful and responsive over email. Thumbs up.
very nice man! sorry you've had trouble(s) with your XT11, my XT11 is the jam sauce.

i guess with klarus's arguably surging popularity, given the fact that no manufacturing process is perfect, there are gonna be some QC or defect issues, you know?

but yeah i am sorry to hear you had trouble initially, it's such an amazing light for me, and i hope you get to experience that, too :)

GhostMeat

Newly Enlightened
Oh, I assure you, I totally dig the light. It's awesome. I love the unique UI, battery flexibility, and overall build (with the exception of this speedbump). Other than that whole clip topic, yeah, I'm pretty stoked about it.

Yeah, I'm not going to bash Klarus for a faulty light right out the gate. It's always a little frustrating to have to deal with Warranty issues, yes,but the true test of a company is not when things are going along just fine...it's when things go bad. Now if it fails a number of other times, that's a whole new topic.

gm.

very nice man! sorry you've had trouble(s) with your XT11, my XT11 is the jam sauce.

i guess with klarus's arguably surging popularity, given the fact that no manufacturing process is perfect, there are gonna be some QC or defect issues, you know?

but yeah i am sorry to hear you had trouble initially, it's such an amazing light for me, and i hope you get to experience that, too :)

GhostMeat

Newly Enlightened
Man, I just can't win. I got my XT11 back from the retailer (who said they will be happy to handle warranty claims) and the Mode switch now works again, but it has another weird problem.

When I press the main tail switch something underneath hits the mode button, too. So if I press the main switch firmly, I sometimes "double-click" something under there and it immediately drops down into medium output. If you press the main tailswitch just the right way, you can actually cycle through all the brightness modes. Sounds convenient, but it kind of sucks.

gm.

Latest posts