L3 Illumination's L10 Nichia 219

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like mine. Run it on a 14505 3v cell and its great. I have had or owned probly 1000 lights and for the money its one of the best ......

Last edited:

sticktodrum

Enlightened
I tried the Titanium Innovations 14505 3V cell in my Nichia 219, and it doesn't make full contact when fully tightened... Anyone run into that problem or have a possible fix?

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had this problem (I'm running AW 14500 Protected in mine) but you can try a washer in the bottom or a little magnetic spacer on top.

I like this light because it is good value. I have both the Nichia and XP-G2 versions and the beams are ok, the tints are what I expected and the fit and finish are reasonable. I have one white body and it is chipping. The chipping is from use and not from sitting on a shelf I use this light a lot and I don't hesitate to throw it in a pocket or knapsack and I wouldn't cry if I (or one of my kids) lost it. I have another AA Nichia 219 light on the way. I hope it inspires me because it costs a lot more.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I tried the Titanium Innovations 14505 3V cell in my Nichia 219, and it doesn't make full contact when fully tightened... Anyone run into that problem or have a possible fix?

I sliced ~1/3 off the foam ring which made my 14500's with short button tops fit better. It does mean there is a bit of battery rattle and the light comes on easier with Eneloops though.

For a non-destructive 'test' you could (carefully) peel the foam ring off and see if the 14505 fits.

Edit: Maybe put some sort of insulation (electrical tape etc) on the outer ring of the head to prevent it shorting.

Last edited:

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's what L10 Illumination says in their L3 product description on the SB Flashlights web page.
"Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish". This is definitely not the case with white. I wonder how many other of the colors are not truly HA III (or even HA I for that matter).

L10white_3.jpg

L10white_1.jpg

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
Here's what L10 Illumination says in their L3 product description on the SB Flashlights web page.
"Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish". This is definitely not the case with white. I wonder how many other of the colors are not truly HA III (or even HA I for that matter).

L10white_3.jpg

L10white_1.jpg
Somebody said that white is not anodized...forgot who. But I think the other colors are anodizeable....right?

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just corresponded with Jason (of SB Flashlights) and he said that he had mentioned on CPF that the white is painted on, not HA III. But, it was never updated on the product description on the website... :poke:

I have heard in the past that black and natural are the only colors possible for true HA III, but it's possible the technology has improved to accommodate other colors without reducing to HA II. I'm hoping we can get some clarification on this.

Southpaw1925

Newly Enlightened
Any chance we'll be seeing a AAA version with pocket clip?

"Fortune favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance of getting this light or one very similar to it (high CRI emitter, FF->L->M->H with excellent spacing, no memory, 1xAA) but with a reverse clicky in the tail?

Try as I might to get used to twisties, I just don't like them.

--flatline

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance of getting this light or one very similar to it (high CRI emitter, FF->L->M->H with excellent spacing, no memory, 1xAA) but with a reverse clicky in the tail?

Try as I might to get used to twisties, I just don't like them.

--flatline

Not sure about me more but edc+ from cpfmp has a few XenoCube nichia219's left. The Xeno e03 had them for awhile too, the UI might not be exactly what you want though.

Four mode AA light with a hi cri clicky and no memory, limits your options. You may need to get a light modded. VinhNyugen might be able to help you out.

parametrek

Enlightened
I've been searching for a reasonably priced Nichia 219 light to add to my index of flashlights. The L10 looks to be the one! However after much googling I can not find a website for L3. (I don't think these guys are it.)

My only requirement for listing a flashlight is that somewhere there is an official product page to source information from. I'll probably loosen my requirements and link to this thread instead but something more authoritative would be nice.

Does L3 Illumination have a website with a product listing?

dansciurus

Newly Enlightened
Pretty sure the only place to buy L3 is on sbflashlights.com
IRC, I think that they are also the manufacturer? Not sure though.
But yeah thats the only place you can get l3 illumination lights. I think it might be a sub-branding of solarforce or something like that.

Larbo

Enlightened
I have 4 of these now, 2 black a natural and an orange, going to try a 14500 and a 3v 14505. A aaa version would be nice...perhaps a clicky??

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty sure the only place to buy L3 is on sbflashlights.com
IRC, I think that they are also the manufacturer? Not sure though.
But yeah thats the only place you can get l3 illumination lights. I think it might be a sub-branding of solarforce or something like that.
I'm pretty sure that SBFlashLights.com is not the manufacturer, though, I'm pretty sure they're the exclusive distributors.

markr6

Flashaholic
Dammit! I finally lost a flashlight and it was one of my L10's. I just moved into a new home so it's a mess of boxes, but I'm still surprised it's missing since I keep all my lights in one box. I'm sure it will turn up but don't know where to start looking. Another reason to be thankful for the relatively low price!

markr6

Flashaholic
Deciding between this and the Xeno for the Nichia 219... leaning towards the Xeno unless you guys can persuade me!

Here's some info to chew on; not necesarily pros or cons:

L10
Smaller, especially when carrying in a pocket
Nicer beam IMO (a bit more flood but still useable throw)
Available clip for about $2, but comes off easily. More of an anti-roll device for me.
Can use 14500, but get's hot and many don't fit well. Needs to be a button top.
Many people don't like twisty heads; very annoying if you use high mode alot.

Xeno E03
Sturdier but much larger
Beam has more throw
Better 14500 support and fit, but all three modes are close in output. Definitely lose a useable low mode.
Reverse clicky, hidden strobe (3 fast clicks while on)

Overall, I think the L10 wins due to the small size and price