Ladybug crawling on my chest.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ladybugs know how to share. Actually, much of the time they pick an isolated corner and stay there. It's as though they're asking if you'll allow them to share a tiny portion of YOUR space. :)

nbp

Flashaholic
DM51 said:
Dave, I hope that's not just a bedbug with a skirt on, lol.

Your thread prompted me to go and take a photo of a cluster of Ladybugs on the wall above the curtain in our bathroom. There seem to be different colors and patterns to them. I don't know much about them - are they different species?

Well, I WAS going to come visit you DM...but having now learned of this, ahem, 'infestation' in your abode, I am thinking better of it. Particularly as some of your beetle friends appear to be of the Asian beetle variety as our friend Nonsence has pointed out, and warrant immediate extermination.

I love the true ladybugs, but these Asian beetles are foul and have taken a toll on the ladybug populations around here.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I WAS going to come visit you DM...but having now learned of this, ahem, 'infestation' in your abode, I am thinking better of it. Particularly as some of your beetle friends appear to be of the Asian beetle variety as our friend Nonsence has pointed out, and warrant immediate extermination.

I love the true ladybugs, but these Asian beetles are foul and have taken a toll on the ladybug populations around here.
Nice catch, that swarm is not the lovable ladybug but the asian lady beetles.
Time for them to be Banned:)

nbp

Flashaholic
In addition to the markings, the real ladybugs seem to more docile as Monocrom pointed out, and appear more solitary. Anytime I see these clumps of beetles indoors it's always the icky ones, and I've only seen those clumps the past few years as Asian beetle populations have increased greatly.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes only the asian lady beetles swarm/group in homes during the winter months for hibernation.
They can also bite but nothing toxic or dangerous, just a little bite.
When feeling threatened they exude this yellow stinky stuff which can stain walls/furniture.

They are actually better at controlling aphids than regular ladybugs but have been known to ruin wine when their yellow stinky stuff gets on all the grapes.

Last edited:

bansuri

Enlightened
The Asian Lady beetles usually take up residence in my house this time of the year. I've been chasing down points of entry over the years, (my house is 104 yrs old so there's a lot of points of entry!) and the amount that get in has been diminishing slowly. I too used to take the "angry as hell" path to insect destruction but this old place has worn me down so I reserve that option for wasps and bees that love to follow us in the house. Maybe they're attracted to the ladybugs?

DM51

Flashaholic
Whatever you do, don't destroy them!! They are extremely beneficial for gardening and consume pest insects.
those are the ones one can and should squash and kill.. the evil one of the ladybugs.
... some of your beetle friends appear to be of the Asian beetle variety as our friend Nonsence has pointed out, and warrant immediate extermination.
Conflicting advice here. Help me out, guys. What do I do with these bugs? Leave 'em alone, or zap 'em?? :thinking:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
DM51, those bugs in your home are not lady bugs but the asian lady beetle.

If they are not bothering you much and the swarm is not getting bigger then you can let them be and after hybernation they should leave.

If you do decide to get rid of them, I would say do it gently as to not have them squirt out the yellow stinky stuff which they do as a defense mechanism and can turn into permanent stains.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
dAY beat me to it as far advice. Considering what they can expel, if they're just looking for a place to sleep and not actively bothering anyone in your home it may be best just to leave them alone. But only if all they do is just sleep on top of each other.