Lampshades for your Flashlights

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you guys ever wished you could have a tiny lampshade for your flashlight?

Suppose you are up late at night and need some light over a small area, maybe to read by or to fix a midnight snack. It might be nice for travelling too. I have often wanted something to clip over the end of my lights that tailstand.

Maybe I've gone off the deep end :)

Scott

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
Except white, and it would be nice to have the light efficiently directed to one side, especially for reading.

I just had a sick thought: How do you have a romantic candle-light dinner with your SO? You could take advantage of the soft orange glow of a traffic cone on your flashlight. Somehow I think the effort would be lost on the average female.

Scott

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've got a bunch of red plastic bottle caps and white plastic bottles that just happen to fit some of my lights. Also use an inverted purple plastic cereal bowl as a shade for an Energizer Accent Lantern. Gone off the deep end? Nah. Come on in, the water's fine.

Geoff

carrot

Flashaholic
Absolutely. I've wished I could have something like that for awhile now. Hmm... I wonder if I could fashion one out of some metal sheeting and heavy wire?

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a small light a Fuji 35mm film canister would work. You either could stand it on the flashlight lens or for a small-head light carve a hole in the lid.

Greg

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
White and like a traffic cone - well, I seem to have gone off the deep end just a little before you. OK, you ready for this?

Translucent plastic tampon inserters, procured from my wife's box. (Box of tampons! Stop that!!) Fits over the end of several small flashlights including Peak AA, Peak McKinley, CMG Infinity Ultra. Has tapered screw threads that accomodate different sizes - of flashlight heads - jeez, now I can't stop thinking in double-entendres.

Not sure if that exactly fits with the image of an impromptu romantic candlepower dinner, but the reaction would be quite something.

- Bill

Somy Nex

Enlightened
I use the same thing! glad to know i'm not alone... =)

those opaque flim canisters work pretty good for me =)

greg_in_canada said:
For a small light a Fuji 35mm film canister would work. You either could stand it on the flashlight lens or for a small-head light carve a hole in the lid.

Greg

woodfluter

Newly Enlightened
Somy Nex said:
I use the same thing! glad to know i'm not alone... =)

those opaque flim canisters work pretty good for me =)

Uh...I think maybe you mean translucent? Opaque film canisters would do a really good job of keeping all the light inside...

Gonzo

Newly Enlightened
I know they make small traffic cones for r/c cars, but I'm not sure where you'd get them. Although I think white would be better than orange. Also, this may sound cheezy, but why not just make one out of paper? It should work pretty good.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
A thin piece of white paper rolled into a cone and then placed over the head
of the Flashlight works quite well

AngelEyes

Newly Enlightened
I point the flashlight on the ceiling or on the floor. Or if i want to be really stealthy, i cover the bezel with my fingers. The amount of light is controllable by spreading or grouping my fingers.

Walt175

Enlightened
Welcome to the deep end! Please step to one side as it's kind of crowded here.
naughty.gif

Aaron1100us

Enlightened
Hehehe, greenLED just reminded me of something when he said traffic cone. Trust me, it doesn't work as a usefull low power light when you put one on a 24w AE Powerlight, hehehe. I did that at work the other night and thought I was going to melt the traffic cone. You could hardly even look at it, hehehe:)

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Putting in my vote for the film canister, it works great as a little tiny lantern!
And thanks for posting that TURD link, I couldn't find it because I was lacking the "."'s between the letters...