Laser pointer on cell phone

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
No Lasers in cell phones ........

They would be abused by too many kids .

We don't need Lasers to be that commonplace.

Next request will be for strike bezels on phones ... and photon torpeedos .

And the "beam me up Scottie" function comes next.

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
leaking into the market? like how...

yellow green would be an ugly color IMO... What I really want is a red-violet laser, i've seen them, thier crazy.

In modern laser projectors. That's how they're leaking out. When purchased in the millions, they cost a few bucks each but for us hobbyists they cost at least 600 bucks each. And red-violet lasers are just a red laser, combined with a violet laser. And yellow-green is the brightest color to humans, it's not really yellow-green, it's more of the color of a leaf on a tree.

@toomanygizmos
I agree, actually. This could be a major pain in the *** for laser hobbyists....

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
In modern laser projectors. That's how they're leaking out. When purchased in the millions, they cost a few bucks each but for us hobbyists they cost at least 600 bucks each. And red-violet lasers are just a red laser, combined with a violet laser. And yellow-green is the brightest color to humans, it's not really yellow-green, it's more of the color of a leaf on a tree.

@toomanygizmos
I agree, actually. This could be a major pain in the *** for laser hobbyists....

I know, I saw them on the LPF boards, there crazy.... I would imagine it being a problem aligning them correctly so that they are perfectly parallel...

Illum

Flashaholic
laser pointers have a very limited application nowadays....other than astronomy, cat, or meeting halls everything else that needed to be point to can be done with a flashlight...up to 200 yards:shrug:

Last edited:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, I saw them on the LPF boards, there crazy.... I would imagine it being a problem aligning them correctly so that they are perfectly parallel...
It's actually not that hard-you use a dichroic mirror, which reflects one color but lets another through. It can be a pain in the ***, but if done in a proper environment it should be no problem.

lasers have a very limited application nowadays....other than astronomy, cat, or meeting halls everything else that needed to be point to can be done with a flashlight...up to 200 yards:shrug:
That's quite incorrect. Lasers are used nowadays more than ever... and demand is expected to go WAY up in the next ten years... here are the most popular uses I can think of right now:
High-end optics, including holography, optics testing, weapon sights.
Manufacturing-mostly IR lasers, used for welding, much cheaper and more accurate than gas welding
Communications-specifically verizon FIOS fiber optics.
Consumer electronics (specifically blu-ray players) the blu-ray diode is getting more and more powerful to accommodate BR disks with more layers, along with holographic disks. They are expected to breach the 1/2 watt rated power level in the next couple years in BR burners, which means us hobbyists can have BR lasers about 2 watts in power.
Laser shows-common entertainment, no big demand swings here. Used for parties and clubs.
Weapons-the military has dumped billions over the last couple years into bomb-busting lasers, with decent success.
Here is the big demand increase in the next few years- projection tech. Laser projectors can easily be 1/10 the size of a standard projector with the same abilities. On top of this, laser TVs are going into production and their color rendering should be better than that of any current device. This means cheaper and more advanced visible lasers too.

There are tons of scientific uses (like fluorescing or reacting), medical uses (cell stimulation, replacement of the scalpel, killing certain viri), and many others I'm not going into detail about. There are also more distant applications, like laser based computers. People have no idea how many times in their daily lives they use something that works with lasers.

will

Illum

Flashaholic
I am not suggesting that lasers have fell out of utility in manufacturing and communication operations, I'm merely suggesting that laser pointers have very limited uses for an average individual outside of work to use it in a primarily recreational manner.

I once had profound interest in green laser pointers, but after a bought one I noticed that practical uses in daily life is very limited and since then stopped going to LPF:candle:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not suggesting that lasers have fell out of utility in manufacturing and communication operations, I'm merely suggesting that laser pointers have very limited uses for an average individual outside of work to use it in a primarily recreational manner.

I once had profound interest in green laser pointers, but after a bought one I noticed that practical uses in daily life is very limited and since then stopped going to LPF:candle:
Very true. However, when the heck are you going to use 8 surefires, 5 fenixes, and like 6 nitecore lights? Probably never, but they're still fun to collect. That's why we're on a forum about flashlights :party: