LD12 replacement (are Quarks all they're cracked up to be?)

sackless

Newly Enlightened
Firstly I'd like to appologise for posting such a noobish thread - I'll keep this short and sweet.

I bought a LD12 G2 a little while ago but it was faulty, so I returned it. Normally I'd by another but I've got a lot of Fenix lights and the problems I had are not uncommon.

After a bit of searching I came across many other 1AA lights but most of them either have a crap UI, poor runtimes or poor build quality/noticable PWM. The Foursevens Quark QPA/QTA, on the other hand, seems to fit the bill perfectly. It has a supposed great runtime (from what you guys say), a clicky tailcap, a low low, well spaced modes and a simple UI. It can also be used as a headlamp (thanks to its good runtime). The only thing is they're pretty pricey (but not out of budget) and nobody seems to be reccomending them these days - despite liking them.

Do you guys think getting a Quark is a good idea? Feel free to make suggestions too.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Just out of interest, which Fenix lights have you had problems with? Only ask as I'm looking at their newer line-up at the moment.

Zebralight have one of the best UI's going IMO, the SC52 takes AA's or 14500's, has a low-low and a high-high.

Eagletac D25A clicky might be worth a look too.

weez82

Enlightened
I like my Quarks better then my fenix lights because of, a true low mode and well spaced modes. And if you dont mind buying used there is one heck of a deal on cfpm for the QPA. Although it will probably be gone by the time you see this. I would have gotten it myself but I have too many lights right now lol.

sackless

Newly Enlightened
Just out of interest, which Fenix lights have you had problems with? Only ask as I'm looking at their newer line-up at the moment.

I've only had problems with my LD12 G2 - I guess I worded my post badly. All my/our old Fenix lights have been great.

gravelmonkey;4289094 Zebralight have one of the best UI's going IMO said:
I'm not a big fan of Zebralights - they seem a bit too good to be true and I don't like the ergos (no tail clicky). The D25A is also on my 'no' list unfortunately.

I like my Quarks better then my fenix lights because of, a true low mode and well spaced modes. And if you dont mind buying used there is one heck of a deal on cfpm for the QPA. Although it will probably be gone by the time you see this. I would have gotten it myself but I have too many lights right now lol.

Good to hear! I wish I was in the US for that Quark - it's only 20 pounds for gods sake!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I collect in the 1xAA/14500/sub-lumen space - clicky - although never owned a Fenix (they don't do sub-lumen). The Quark AA (XML) is still my all time favorite light - I keep trying different lights in an attempt to beat it, but for my particular preferences, I can't.

Fully supports all AA-sized cells (ie, lower modes retained at spec, and runs 3v CRAAs - one of my favorites). Legos different tubes and clickies for other batteries and configs. Bright moonlight mode is my most often used "low" mode and hits just the right usability/runtime ratio for me. Best/strongest reversible clip. Most field serviceable, bypassable. Will run CR123s and 18650s in a pinch (using a piece of tinfoil I EDC in a wallet). Warranty and customer service (obviously).

Samy

Enlightened
I think the AA quarks are great. I have about 6. I only have the tactical models because they are easy and simple to use for my family members who hate my programmable lights. I cannot get a family member to get their heads around the Zebralight UI. I have mostly 2xAA's but a single AA or two floating around in my wife's handbag (which she loves). I also have a neutral 2xaa quark tactical which is nice :)

I've had zebras fail but so far quarks keep going. I don't usually EDC a quark (always tinkering with newly purchased lights) but i've always got a quark in my gear bag or car door pocket not far away. And like i mentioned, my wife really likes her 1xAA tactical.

cheers

sackless

Newly Enlightened
Will run CR123s and 18650s in a pinch (using a piece of tinfoil I EDC in a wallet).

I thought CR123s were thicker than AAs though? So does putting a beefier battery boost all the levels or just turbo?

I think the AA quarks are great. I have about 6. I only have the tactical models because they are easy and simple to use for my family members who hate my programmable lights.

I don't think I could have six of the same light - I like a bit of variety. I think I'll probably go for the pro interface as I like to fiddle about with different modes. Idealy, I'd get a QPA head and body with a tactical tailcap and a deep clip.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark AA (XML) ...

Will run CR123s and 18650s in a pinch (using a piece of tinfoil I EDC in a wallet). Warranty and customer service (obviously).

Do you mean that you hold the heat and tailcap together with foil in place of the body? I don't see how either AA tube (1 or 2 cell) can hold a CR123 or 18650.

sackless

Newly Enlightened
Just keep in mind that if you want the tactical UI you need to get the tactical head (QTA) as the UI is in the head not the tailcap ;)

I don't really want the tactical UI though - I just want the forward clicky. TBH though, the reverse clicky works WAY better for the pro UI and doesn't really bother me anyway.

weez82

Enlightened
I don't really want the tactical UI though - I just want the forward clicky. TBH though, the reverse clicky works WAY better for the pro UI and doesn't really bother me anyway.

Well now I feel like a dope, lol. Im getting threads mixed up. Thought I was replying to a different post. I think I need to work on getting some proper sleep lol

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean that you hold the heat and tailcap together with foil in place of the body? I don't see how either AA tube (1 or 2 cell) can hold a CR123 or 18650.

No, just use the head - get the $$ bill spacers right and it actually screws down. It's the only light in my collection (pix above) able accommodate the wider cells. Like I said though - for use "in a pinch". All the lights will also run AAAs and AAAAs (from a 9V) using $ bills and tinfoil as spacers.

9562130547_f7634bd0b0.jpg

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought CR123s were thicker than AAs though? So does putting a beefier battery boost all the levels or just turbo?

I don't think I could have six of the same light - I like a bit of variety. I think I'll probably go for the pro interface as I like to fiddle about with different modes. Idealy, I'd get a QPA head and body with a tactical tailcap and a deep clip.

CRAAs are the same (3V, 1500mah) as CR123s and one of my favorite cells, it's the blue one in my first pix (can be tough to find though, but I bought bulk) - Quarks are one of the few lights that run them properly (all levels remain at spec except Max, which about doubles). You can always buy the optional CR123 to run (R)CR123s.

I have at least 7 Quarks (not incl a dozen? purchased as gifts during the great rebranding sales)... Tac's, Pros, XMLs, XPGs, CW, NW, turbos, etc. all different.. For Lego play you know.

sackless

Newly Enlightened
Hello again!
I hate to resurrect this old thread but as this relates to this thread I'l;l post it here:

So, in the end, I got a Quark QTA and apart from a hint of preflash and inductor whine it's a brilliant light. But now I want more...
I contacted Ledfiretorches (where I bought it from) to see if they could order in a cr123 body for me - no joy. I don't really want to buy a full cr123 Quark; I'm not made of money; but I'd quite like something with a little more poke. It's not for any specific purpose per se, although the Quark turbo aa2/l2 seems favourite for a bit of variety.

How well do the Turbos throw compared to the regular Quarks? Do the extra lumens and bigger head equate to a much more throw, or should I just look around for a cr123 body/14500 cell which is more EDC-able.

Thanks once again
Jacob

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello again!
I hate to resurrect this old thread but as this relates to this thread I'l;l post it here:

So, in the end, I got a Quark QTA and apart from a hint of preflash and inductor whine it's a brilliant light. But now I want more...
I contacted Ledfiretorches (where I bought it from) to see if they could order in a cr123 body for me - no joy. I don't really want to buy a full cr123 Quark; I'm not made of money; but I'd quite like something with a little more poke. It's not for any specific purpose per se, although the Quark turbo aa2/l2 seems favourite for a bit of variety.

How well do the Turbos throw compared to the regular Quarks? Do the extra lumens and bigger head equate to a much more throw, or should I just look around for a cr123 body/14500 cell which is more EDC-able.

Thanks once again
Jacob

You pretty much have to buy the spare tubes from Foursevens.com, they're $20. If you get the CR123 tube, you lose the pocket clip (tube is too short). You can get CPF discounts but I think the minimum free shipping is $20 anyways. I'd go for 14500s (and Eneloop) rechargeables, pays off in the long run, you get guilt-free lumens, 14500s have 20-25% greater capacity than 16340/RCR123s, and you get to use widely available Alks/NiMh/L91 lithiums. Read up on proper care and maintenance of Li-ions though. Only bummer is that 3V CRAAs seem to have been out of stock for quite some time now, so guess you might have to go with the CR123 (or 2xAA) tube if you really want more lumens and primary cells. (note: My Quarks don't have inducer whine on higher voltage cell configs).

You can also just buy a Turbo head, there's a big difference in throw to the low voltage XML heads I like to EDC (although less lumens), but the difference will less compared to your XP-G2 head. Keep in mind that any benefits in throw will have an equal and offsetting detriment to flood (and hence close task work).

sackless

Newly Enlightened
You pretty much have to buy the spare tubes from Foursevens.com, they're $20.

The price doesn't bother me - in fact, I think they're pretty cheap. What bothers me is the fact that UK customs hate me (got hit pretty badly tax wise last time I imported stuff from abroad).

I'd go for 14500s (and Eneloop) rechargeables, pays off in the long run, you get guilt-free lumens, 14500s have 20-25% greater capacity than 16340/RCR123s, and you get to use widely available Alks/NiMh/L91 lithiums. Read up on proper care and maintenance of Li-ions though.

14500s do seem like a good (albeit scary) option. What's the runtime like with a 14500? I know they've got lower mAh ratings than AA primaries but does the extra voltage cancel this out?

For me the only plus side to eneloops is that they can be used in other things like computer mice (which ironically aren't battery hogs). I'd rather have the extra lumens - as long as the runtimes were still good.

You can also just buy a Turbo head, there's a big difference in throw to the low voltage XML heads I like to EDC (although less lumens), but the difference will less compared to your XP-G2 head. Keep in mind that any benefits in throw will have an equal and offsetting detriment to flood (and hence close task work).

For me there's no point really. I was only going to buy a Turbo because of the 2aa tube (so I could lego) and because I don't have a thrower (and I don't want redundant low voltage quark heads). That said, I don't have many lights really; I only have a Quark QTA, a Fenix E05 and a handful of photon freedoms..

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
14500s do seem like a good (albeit scary) option. What's the runtime like with a 14500? I know they've got lower mAh ratings than AA primaries but does the extra voltage cancel this out?

For me the only plus side to eneloops is that they can be used in other things like computer mice (which ironically aren't battery hogs). I'd rather have the extra lumens - as long as the runtimes were still good.

They're great batts, just read a little and understand their voltage range tolerances and you'll be fine. Comparing batts, you need to compare total energy in watt-hrs (V x Mah), so yes they have roughly equivalent energy. Look at this thread for runtimes with different batts -(clicky - but keep in mind that at max, the 14500 is putting out twice the lumens as the other "AAs".

While I do run 14500s in my Quarks, I love Eneloops... enough so that it got me to consolidate all my portable/camping/travel electronic gadgets (except computing devices) and solar charging options around the AA platform and away from all the proprietary platforms with all their dedicated chargers, cords, and necessary back-up batts. I just love the ability to share chargers and batts, cannibalize, buy cells in gas stations, etc.

For me there's no point really. I was only going to buy a Turbo because of the 2aa tube (so I could lego) and because I don't have a thrower (and I don't want redundant low voltage quark heads). That said, I don't have many lights really; I only have a Quark QTA, a Fenix E05 and a handful of photon freedoms..

If you want to Lego, it's actually a bit easier to stick with one platform (LV or HV) and the LV is a bit more flexible. For example, all the batt tubes make perfect sense and work well with the LV head, but it really doesn't make sense to run the 1x CR123 or AA tube with the HV head. Then again, I'm personally a low lumen/runtime fan.

sackless

Newly Enlightened
If you want to Lego, it's actually a bit easier to stick with one platform (LV or HV) and the LV is a bit more flexible. For example, all the batt tubes make perfect sense and work well with the LV head, but it really doesn't make sense to run the 1x CR123 or AA tube with the HV head. Then again, I'm personally a low lumen/runtime fan.

Oh I agree - I just don't want two LV Tactical heads. That's why I fancied getting the turbo so I could lego it's body/head with my QTA. In hindsight, though, that's not really a great solution to my problem. As much as I'd like a throwy, high powered flashlight, It's no good for EDC and I have no other real use for it. On the other hand, 14500s are pretty pricey intially (once you throw a charger into the mix) considering they're just batteries.

IDK what I should do really. What do you think; buy a 2aa Turbo (LV head so I can lego) or get a 14500 setup?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I agree - I just don't want two LV Tactical heads. That's why I fancied getting the turbo so I could lego it's body/head with my QTA. In hindsight, though, that's not really a great solution to my problem. As much as I'd like a throwy, high powered flashlight, It's no good for EDC and I have no other real use for it. On the other hand, 14500s are pretty pricey intially (once you throw a charger into the mix) considering they're just batteries.

IDK what I should do really. What do you think; buy a 2aa Turbo (LV head so I can lego) or get a 14500 setup?

I see your dilemma, two tactical UIs with XP-G2s, one with more throw, would be a little redundant. My combo - the floody LV XML Pro UI paired with the LV XPG Turbo (both shown in my first pix above) makes more sense.

Also the 14500/Li-ion step might not make sense if you don't plan on a reasonable investment in flashlights. Keep in mind our light perception is roughly subject to the square/square root laws where you need 4x the lumens to appear twice as bright. Said another way, while a 14500 will double the lumens over a AA, it will only appear about 40% brighter.... (This is one of the reasons I'm a low lumen enthusiast - for about half the perceived brightness, I can get 4x the runtime).

Maybe just get a Burst Mode XML Pro 2L (since you're looking for power) and run CR123s? Then consider 17670s and 14500s (which can Lego to either) down the road?