Leadlight 5mW vs. WickedLaser 5mW Laser

drjocker

Newly Enlightened
They are both around the same price. I am mainly going to use it for pointing to stars.Which one do you think is better?

liteglow

Enlightened
i got wickedlaser.. it`s perfect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Fast shipping.. ok price.. quality is perfect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

url to that leadlight ?
i gonna buy one more laser, may i buy a leadlight for compare /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

liteglow

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
drjocker said:
check out leadlight here at www.abeland1.com

anyway hows your 5mW wickedlaser working?
can it actually point to the sky and have a visible beam?

[/ QUOTE ]

OH yeh !!

It`s so damn bright i cant beliw it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

( i did do a pot mot )

liteglow

Enlightened
But i dont get it !?!?
LEADLIGHT and lasers FROM wickedlaser is THE SAME LASER !!!

??

drjocker

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
liteglow said:
But i dont get it !?!?

??

[/ QUOTE ]

oh it is? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif sorry i didnt know...

so even before u modded the wicked laser, was it bright enought for the beam to reach the sky?

liteglow

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
drjocker said:
[ QUOTE ]
liteglow said:
But i dont get it !?!?

??

[/ QUOTE ]

oh it is? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif sorry i didnt know...

so even before u modded the wicked laser, was it bright enought for the beam to reach the sky?

[/ QUOTE ]

i did not know it to.. so dont sorry man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Yeh the laser was more than bright when i did recive it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
But after a mod it seems like it`s more wissible in the air (in rooms also) but after using it so often , it`s hard to tell diffrence..

i think i have to buy one more so i can compare /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Spec

Newly Enlightened
They are the same unit, period.

Think of the Mitsubishi 3000gt and the Dodge Stealth cars, they have the exact same engine and design, just marketed differently to different groups, one also costs a lot more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (look on the windows of the Dodge Stealth, they have the Mitsubishi logo on them, and the engine is branded Mitsubishi). There are only minor aesthetic differences.

Only in the case of these lasers there are WILDLY different claims of "horsepower" so to speak.

The only exemption in this case is that Abeland has an agreement with Leadlight to produce black on black units that only he can get. (I purchased one of those units, and I like it more than the black on brass or silver on silver units.)

Abeland is a great seller and he sells the unit for exactly what it is. I value that honesty and initally went to him because of that.

-Spec

mm85

Newly Enlightened
So is it true the lasers from Wickedlasers are hand picked for the best crystals? I have a 58mw Wicked and I'm wondering now if it's crystals are really much different like he said, or if he just bumped the pot up a little for another few hundred bucks.

Spec

Newly Enlightened
Heres how it works:

I order 100 units from leadlight. On average:

60-70 of them will produce less than 5mw
10-20 of them will produce between 5-8mw
5-10 of them will produce between 9-10mw
3-5 of them will produce 11-12mw
1-3 of them will produce 13-15mw
1-2 will be freak units doing less than 25mW but greater than 15mW

When these things are manufactured they install the potentiometer so THEY can adjust the output to meet legal requirements so they dont get slapped with a massive fine. Things can happen in shipping, like a good bump can offset the crystal alignment enough to make it brighter or dimmer, or jar the potentiometer loose and move it to a more favorable position. In the newer models they are putting glue on the potentiometer to keep it from moving.

Some will have the pot set to high and produce less than 5mw and some will be set low and produce a theoretical maximum. Its all luck of the draw.

As usual, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

-Spec

mm85

Newly Enlightened
Are these numbers what they are outputting right out of the box, or what they are capable of?

Spec

Newly Enlightened
Thats right out of the box.

Some sellers then take the "efficient" units and crank the potentiometer to make the 40-50mw lasers.

The markup is amazing. heh.

-Spec

mm85

Newly Enlightened
But do the "efficient" units output at the same current draw as the others? Wicked claims the draw is the same on all models, this would mean some just have amazing crystal sets then, correct?

Spec

Newly Enlightened
"Same" is usually listed as 320mA or less in reference to like make and models. For example, "Same" in a changchun unit is somewhere around 600mA current.

The crystal can not be selected by the factory to be better out of the box, they are grown in a lab and some fragments or cut pieces have better optical properties than others. Even polarization of the diode comes into play. Seriously. If your ever inside your leadlight unit loosen the diode lock ring and rotate the diode around and you will notice the beam getting a little brighter or dimmer or very slightly tilt the diode and you will notice the same effects.

It is once again, luck of the draw, and the manu is not going to pay the massive difference in price to get crystal sets that are far more efficient like the ones casix produces.

Any seller that tells you "They work with the manufacturer to get the best of the best" is lying to you. The manu doesnt want the quarter million dollar fine for selling "illegal" units.

-Spec

mm85

Newly Enlightened
What are the actual properties of the crystals which make them more or less efficient? I know alignment is a big issue but what about other variables? Does their size have any thing to do with power handling abilities or does it come down to their absolute chemical makeup?

sbk

Newly Enlightened
Alignment in X,Y and Z axis of all the optical components like

- laser diode (wavelenght is important too but doesn't affect crystal efficiency in the absolute)
- focusing optics of the IR beam to make the optimal IR spot on the vanadate input
- Vanadate and KTP crystals alignment and positionning regards to the IR beam
- Positionning of the OC mirror

are the most important parameters which makes the laser most efficient or less, I'm right?
Also the crystals from manufacturer are quite equal in power handling and efficiency?

Edit : I forgot to speak about the heat consideration.
Both Vanadate and KTP must be at their optimal temperature to obtain the best transformation coefficient...

Spec

Newly Enlightened
Almost perfect answer SBK:

The wavelength is absouletly important to be right on the money, the tolerance for the crystal to produce 808 > 1064+532 > 532 is very minimal, MAYBE 1-2% off center at best.

Most gets eaten by the crystals or stays 808 and 1064. Ive seen pictures of cavity ring designs where the non 532 output is bounced around back through the optical cavity causing the output to be much higher.

Size of the crystal isnt "that" much of a deal, it just has to do with finding the area of the rock that works the best. Where laser light can pass and be converted into the other frequencies, the larger the crystal, the more area to work with to find the perfect location of it in relation to the diode output.

And as far as efficiency is concerned, you loose massive amounts of input power to the crystals and mediums from the diode to the colimation lens. The best efficiency Ive heard of is about 10%(aside from ultra-expensive units like I mentioned above), and concidering the past history of laser efficiency(Argon being less than 1%) 10% is absolutely amazing.

-Spec

sbk

Newly Enlightened
You say 10% efficiency conversion from electrical input power, or from optical output of the 808nm laserdiode?

I have actually a DPSS green laser module that produce 176mW green with 850mA input current into a 1W laserdiode (so this diode didn't function at his max rating power).
The diode voltage is 1,85V. So electrical input power is 1.57W to obtain 0.176W of output, efficiency is 11.2%.

Pretty good efficiency not?

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a laser from Arnold, it was defective so I sent it back, he sent me one that was supposed to be higher power, it looked dimmer to me but he said weather can affect that. It had some trouble also so he asked if I wanted to return it but warned that all high spec units tend to be a little bit off, and also told me he would not send me another, refund only. So I kept the The laser sat around for months and when i finaly went camping after the weather cooled it malfunctioned. Now I have a 3mw unit with a bad diod that arnold won't take back. I'd go with the other company personaly.