Leaking nimh batteries?

american

Enlightened
My olight i3s twice this week I went to turn on nothing. Open up the light. Bright red goo spewing out the top both times I cleaned with alcohol and put a new battery in. These are so shine brand (good reviews) I've had for 2 years no problems they keep up with my aaa eneloops no problem. Anyone ever see this? Is this red stuff really toxic? Is it bad to breathe in? Do I throw away the batteries or just clean? That's what I have been doing.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any battery that leaks should be discarded. Something is clearly serious wrong with the battery if it leaks...don't wait until the problem gets even worse.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
^Good advice from thedoc007. Throw them away and replace them.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only seen a NiMH battery leak once. It was a 9 volt, so I guess one of the cells in it reverse charged and got damaged. I don't think the crap in NiMH cells is as bad as the stuff that leaks from alkaline batteries.

Throw it away, or at least don't use it for anything other than experimenting with it.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I didn't think there was enough electrolyte in NiMh cells for them to leak?

Only problem I've had is powdery white residue on the +'ve end of a couple of old/abused GP cells.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't think there was enough electrolyte in NiMh cells for them to leak?

Only problem I've had is powdery white residue on the +'ve end of a couple of old/abused GP cells.

Yes, sorry, that's what I saw in my "leak". It was some residue, not a real leak that gums up everything like an alkaline does.

american

Enlightened
OK guys this is odd 6 hours later in my same olight i3s I put a rayovac nimh in this morning didn't use it all day. Again red leaking out the vent of the positive onto the gold circuit board on the light. What gives? Something wrong with the light?

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the crap in NiMH cells is as bad as the stuff that leaks from alkaline batteries.

The electrolyte in NiMH is the same stuff as in alkaline batteries: potassium hydroxide. In fact, nickel-based rechargeable batteries (NiMH, Nicad, and NiZn) have been referred to in the past as 'alkaline storage batteries'. However, I believe that nickel-based rechargeable batteries have less electrolyte than alkaline batteries.

sadtimes

Enlightened
OK guys this is odd 6 hours later in my same olight i3s I put a rayovac nimh in this morning didn't use it all day. Again red leaking out the vent of the positive onto the gold circuit board on the light. What gives? Something wrong with the light?

It seems to be possessed.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you sure it's the battery that's leaking, and not something oozing out of the head of the light onto the battery?

american

Enlightened
OK guys did it again now with a alkaline red goo. I'm sure it's 125 degrees in my pocket must be the head. Would would make it? Do is my light bad?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK guys did it again now with a alkaline red goo. I'm sure it's 125 degrees in my pocket must be the head. Would would make it? Do is my light bad?

I think that anyone or anything that has a head that leaks red goo out of it, is probably bad. I'm surprised it's still working at all.

american

Enlightened
What would this be? Could it be the fact that it's 90 degrees out? Melting circuit board?

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any photos to help understand the issue? Are you sure that the light is not turning on while in your pocket? Maybe overdraw?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm not sure why an electrolyte starved type cell would release a red goo?

The idea that its coming from the light, was a good place to also consider, (I'd also wonder if I'd accidentally gotten some counterfeit cells?) as lubes, plastic wire insulation, pastes, etc, might be oozing out instead?